First Look: Dish 942 HD/SD Receiver (Updated 1/24/05)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There's some speculation elsewhere that this may be a move by E* to boost HD user numbers before year-end. I'm also seeing some reliable posters saying the 942 is still several months out, and certainly NOT before 2005.

Now the dumping of the HDTV-in-a-box that happened in Denver today, is something else entirely.

Maybe they found some cheaper manufacturers or maybe they got hints that there was going to be some price drops on the HD DVR's by their competetor so they decided to drop the price first, who knows. I still say its to get rid of their stock.

It could also be that the price was dropped because the Christmas selling season is upon us. At least you americans can get a HDPVR...BEV customers (who use Dish Network hardware) won't have a HDPVR until Dish releases the 942 :(.

Alt

I want to purchase a 921, or 942 for my HDTV in the living room, but I was wondering if there is any additional monthly charge from E*, for operating a dual receiver? I currently just have one receiver, but would like the capability of throwing a second SD signal to another TV in a bedroom. Do they charge any additional service fee for operating the 921/942 over my current 6000HD receiver?

Larman

Additional receivers above the first are charged $5, but if they are leased the $5 lease charge replaces that. There is a $5 VOD (video on demand) fee for 921, the 942 will likely have that too. The VOD is waived if you subscribe to AEP (A. Everything Pack) The 942 will probably incur an additional $5 fee if it is not continuously connected to a phone line - like the 522.

SimpleSimon said:
There's some speculation elsewhere that this may be a move by E* to boost HD user numbers before year-end. I'm also seeing some reliable posters saying the 942 is still several months out, and certainly NOT before 2005.

Now the dumping of the HDTV-in-a-box that happened in Denver today, is something else entirely.
IMHO the logic behind "E"'s latest moves is that Dish figures that if they can get customers to make a relativly bigger investment in their receiver they will be less inclined to switch providers.

Both "D" & "E" have their promos that provide free PVR receivers in every room of your mansion, so it's easy to switch companies without taking an investment hit but you invest $500 - $800 for each HD PVR that is only going to work with their signal and they've got you - you're not likely to jump ship the first time the competition adds a couple new HD channels.

At $1000 for a badly designed 921, they didn't get enough takers but that wasn't their intent anyway - it's inital release was for beta testing anyway and there were plenty waiting in line for the privlege. Now they'll put a unit out for the masses that will, when compared to the early model, seem like a heck of a deal.

"E" just announced the other day that they probably won't be provideing any more HD channels until they get more capacity (sometime in '05), so unless there's an unlikely shift in congress with SHVIA that will allow distant HD nets, "D" will take take / hold the lead with more HD channels in the very near future.

Basically "E"'s only hope to stop the heavy "churn" they know looms on the horizon is by sucking customers into an equipment purchase that will "lock" them into riding this out with them.
WaltinVt

Bingo! Add that to the fact that they're now seriously undercutting the HD Tivo (opinions on why aside), and they're also tilting the tables a bit in their favor.

I know of many people in the past that did not want to shut their system off and/or switch to another provider because they felt as if their investment would be in shambles, that they wasted their money, and they want to get their monies worth out of what they bought.

Based on the features of the 921 and the 942 it seems on the surface that there are few real changes. Can one record SD on the 921? If so are you all hoping for better software or what? With the 921 at around $500 now I'm not sure why wait? Thanks from a newbie.

The only thing the 921 does with almost 100% reliability IS record satellite SD.

As for the 921 vs. 942, it seems that they DO have similar features, except that the 942 has an independent TV2 output (SD only). Consensus is that the 942 is based on the 522. Conjecture is that there will be 2 OTA tuners, thereby validating the "4" in 942.

SimpleSimon said:
The only thing the 921 does with almost 100% reliability IS record satellite SD.

As for the 921 vs. 942, it seems that they DO have similar features, except that the 942 has an independent TV2 output (SD only). Consensus is that the 942 is based on the 522. Conjecture is that there will be 2 OTA tuners, thereby validating the "4" in 942.

As an addicted DVR user, I've been waiting for the HD answer to my 721 receiver for a while. When the 921 came out, it was way too expensive. Now that it dropped in price, I'm almost about to buy. Enter the rumors of the 942 and I'm back in the waiting game. I currently split my 721 output to main TV room and bedroom TV. Both my wife and I make compromises on what we'll watch and we actually SIT TOGETHER and watch the same shows. The UHF remote, and output split simply gives us control and access to DVR'd material from two locations.

I would do the same thing with the 921 if I go that way, but the idea of independent outputs WITHOUT the additional receiver fee... AND access to centrally located DVR recorded shows is a big plus to me.

If I go with the 921 now, that's $550 outlay plus $5 DVR (no I don't have AEP) plus $10 HDpack. I know a year from now, I'll probably wish I waited for the 942.

Bobby

Quote:

I know a year from now, I'll probably wish I waited for the 942.

/ end quote

I'm thinking the same thing. The E* 921 for $550 seems like a decent deal until I read the threads on all of the 921's problems.

But in two years, will the 942 have just as many threads recounting all of its problems? Why does HD have to be so difficult?

Pity poor joe six pack who just wants some easy HD.

Here's a thought:
Maybe the 942 isn't a step up or down... maybe sideways. From the 921 perspective the 942 is really stupid by not boasting the improvement WE are looking for. But from the perspective of Bob and Sally Anyperson, who might be thinking of signing up with an 811 in the living room and a 311 in the bedroom, the 942 would be a big step up in features. Now they could watch an HD movie on TV1 while taping their sitcoms to TV2; or Bob could watch ESPNHD while Sally was in the bedroom watching Oprah. This really sounds like an HD 522.
I agree the 942 is really dumb- but I also think the 522 and the 322 are really dumb too. We're all complaining about it, but the reality is... this box isn't for US, it's for THEM. I'm betting E* will roll out a better box in 2006 that will appeal to US.

I'm predicting that you may not see the 942 at all, or at least not until a major revision change.

Why? Why introduce a new receiver for HD right before the plan to begin rolling over to MPEG-4. I suspect that they designed for a system that has a pin compatible MPEG-4 chipset planned for the chipset they may have started to use.

All they need do is wait for the release of the newer chipset and then begin testing.

If this is the case, I expect the 942 to be the FALL of '05.

I agree with you wholeheartedly DishSatUser. I suspect they will have some change of plans until the release of the MPEG-4. The longer they wait to release it the more it will cost them because they will have to replace even more receivers. Every little bit adds up. I figured both satellite companies knew this day was coming, its not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" for this receiver swap-out.

I would actually applaud E* for delaying the 942 in order to implement the MPEG4 capability.

I also would appaud this approach of delaying for the MPEG-4 capability, and since it makes better sense cost wise is the reason for my prediction.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)