First Look: Dish 942 HD/SD Receiver (Updated 1/24/05)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Altaman said:
So what good is a receiver that is obsolete upon release? I mean $750 for Mpeg-2 and no mention of mpeg-4, looks like a disaster waiting to happen!

Alt
Unless they offer a no-cost upgrade to MPEG-4.

BFG said:
Spoke to soon, it's there now. Not that it matters. Only a fool will buy one. And if you do buy one. I apologize for the previous comment in advanced :)

Needless to say, seeing that "MPEG2" on the front of it is very distressing. I'll wait until E* releases the official specs on it (they do tend to change their mind!). If it is indeed only MPEG2 then BFG your statement is absolutely right - you are a fool to buy it (and no apology to any one who buys it) and I'm going to start making plans to move back to D*.

BFG said:
Spoke to soon, it's there now. Not that it matters. Only a fool will buy one. And if you do buy one. I apologize for the previous comment in advanced :)

LOL. The pic isn't even of a "real" unit. It's a damn photo chop image! Weak....

I think it's premature to switch because of the MPEG4 worries. That's all they are now, worries. What's going to happen w/ D* when you need new MPEG4 receivers and you haven't even met your commitment with them? I'd wait to see what E* has to offer for conversion. Then you can switch, getting D*'s upgraded equipment at the start.

gpflepsen said:
I think it's premature to switch because of the MPEG4 worries. That's all they are now, worries. What's going to happen w/ D* when you need new MPEG4 receivers and you haven't even met your commitment with them? I'd wait to see what E* has to offer for conversion. Then you can switch, getting D*'s upgraded equipment at the start.

Noted Gerry! Of course I won't make any change until I see what D* does but I gotta tell you it seems that Charlie is asleep at the wheel (sorry off topic here). I really need to check about some how switching to SBC/Dish and going for that sweet looking 2Wire box......

That 2wire looks da bomb! I hope it's developed in conjunction w/ and shares much with the new E* MPEG4 receivers.

Today at the Echostar Press Conference, I ask Echostar President, Mark Jackson if the new 942 was upgradable to MPEG4.

The answer was NO ITS NOT.

The 942 is obsolete already. :(

Scott Greczkowski said:
Today at the Echostar Press Conference, I ask Echostar President, Mark Jackson if the new 942 was upgradable to MPEG4.

The answer was NO ITS NOT.

The 942 is obsolete already. :(

Unless it is a ticket to a free upgrade when MPEG4 capability is needed for any new programming.

We shouldn't have to worry about buying their products to enjoy their programming NOW, without regard to having to buy new compatible equipment in the near future.

gpflepsen said:
Unless it is a ticket to a free upgrade when MPEG4 capability is needed for any new programming.

We shouldn't have to worry about buying their products to enjoy their programming NOW, without regard to having to buy new compatible equipment in the near future.

I agree with that whole heartedly d00d. If we worried about not buying something because the "next best thing" was around the corner, we'd never get $hit! And this goes for everything! Cars, PC parts, Audio/Video equipment, video games. EVERYTHING!

Speaking of free tickets to an upgrade. All current 921 owners should be upgraded non-gratis. I gave $999.00 for mine last December. :(

ocaddict said:
I agree with that whole heartedly d00d. If we worried about not buying something because the "next best thing" was around the corner, we'd never get $hit! And this goes for everything! Cars, PC parts, Audio/Video equipment, video games. EVERYTHING!

The analogy on the next greatest edition or version of a product doesn't hold with this one. Here we are talking about a whole class of product becoming obsolete and useless.

It's not like missing out on the next generation of TV flat panel display. Your 55" HD CRT you bought 5 years ago will still display any and all HD formats well into the future.

What we are worried about here is akin to buying a car which burns gasoline, just to find out that next year the cars will need to be electric powered, and gasoline isn't going to be sold again.

Yeah, if they specifically say you'd get a free upgrade it would be different, but they aren't. But then again even if they did say free upgrade we all know how good dish is on their word/

The press release gave no indication of it. I guess dish isn't ready to lease their high-cost HD-DVRs...

gpflepsen said:
It's not like missing out on the next generation of TV flat panel display. Your 55" HD CRT you bought 5 years ago will still display any and all HD formats well into the future.
Uh, isn't that what all the stink was about with the MPAA-forced down-rezzing of component video? (in my case it's a 34" CRT) Effectively, that is taking my $2K+ HDTV and making it an EDTV.

Edit: I gotta get my eyes checked. I thought BFG said, "isn't ready to release their high-cost HD-DVRs..."

Mark_AR said:
Speaking of free tickets to an upgrade. All current 921 owners should be upgraded non-gratis. I gave $999.00 for mine last December. :(

Haha. I'm gonna get one now for 500$. Glad I waited. A G is just too much to pay for a receiver.

The DISH Player-DVR 942 will be available for purchase in the first quarter of 2005 for an incredibly low MSRP of $749, which includes a dish antenna and free standard professional installation for new customers.

For the incredibly low price of $749, I purchased a 721 and a 921.

And for that price, I have TWO buggy, partially functional, soon to be obsolete MPEG-2 receivers. (Just did my thrice weekly "power cord" reboot of the 921 to actually be able to watch S/D TV in COLOR!--What will they think of next!)

I can't wait to see what kinda deal E* gives us on the 2wire box. Will there be a sliding "Sucker" scale?

Such a deal.

tunagimp said:
For the incredibly low price of $749, I purchased a 721 and a 921.

And for that price, I have TWO buggy, partially functional, soon to be obsolete MPEG-2 receivers. (Just did my thrice weekly "power cord" reboot of the 921 to actually be able to watch S/D TV in COLOR!--What will they think of next!)

I can't wait to see what kinda deal E* gives us on the 2wire box. Will there be a sliding "Sucker" scale?

Such a deal.

LMFAO dude! Nice :D

921 vs 942 vs vaporbox

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a $500 921 too. I just don't see $200+ benefit to the new box since I currently have output from 2 receivers distributed to all the TVs in the house. But just for grins, a few questions.

1. I assume the anser to this is no, but can you watch different channels (or prerecorded programs) at the same time on the 942 HD and SD outputs?

2. 942 specs say 'name based recording'. Is this something different than the 921? Like TIVO where it follows a program to different times/channels?

3. Someone earlier said DISH would not activate a second PVR/DVR on the same account. I have a hard time believing that, but can someone confirm that I'd be allowed to add a 921/942 to my account that already has a 508?

4. I'm clueless about the MPEG2/4 discussion. Y'all seem to be saying there will be some point when all the existing receivers are going to be unusable because of this issue? I have a hard time believing that any provider could do something that drastic to their installed base.

Status
Please reply by conversation.