First Look - Dish Whole House HD/SD Solution?

Actually if my memory serves me, Claude G (aka metro) posted an Apr 1 thread about something like this on DBSDish.com (I think it was that site) YEARS ago. Never was actually sure whether it was an April Fools joke or not. I believe at that time he called it the 921 (his rumor in that same thread of the 721 DID come true).

Any news on this?

Well it looks like it was abandoned by Dish (note this is 3 years old) but they might have something similar now with the 722s. Instead of using ATSC encoders (which still seem to be rare and expensive) they use sling box technology (Dish bought sling).

So, you could possibly centrally locate the 722s and use sling catchers to get the HD to what ever TVs you want to have. 2 722s could give you 4 TVs of HD with just ethernet between them (or even perhaps WiFi).

This looks very much like the whole house solution they were working on years ago. They seemed to drop it, but now I am glad they resurrected it. This will be of great appeal to those with multiple HDTV's and for customers who don't want STB's everywhere. Of course, the cost to Dish and the consumer will probably be the determining factor. I believe the studios and broadcasters didn't like their content being re-transmitted un-securely (they didn't like Direct TV's whole house solution either, for the same reason). Perhaps Dish has calmed their fears and can now move forward. Let's hope so. This would be great.

I got to be honest.... This is the most exciting thing I can remember coming from Dish Network. This is the future of Satellite Television!

And movie downloads. Satellite needs to exploit that because that will be the next big thing, and it dove tails perfectly with it, just like the DVR's. Of course, satellite had to acheive this better than their current system of movie downloads.

I didn't realize that this was an older thread until I stumbled upon the date. I hate it when that happens. Hopefully they will do something like this in the future.

Scott tell Charlie that this needs to work with CABLECARDS (aka tivo, tv's, or their own custom install).. that would make this a billion dollar idea rather than a half ass implementation and put pressure on directv/fios for being the only ones not supporting cable cards!

This idea died a long time ago, probably because of potential lawsuits on behalf of the MPAA and others. It would have made piracy of HD content WAAAY too easy, just like with the old Dish 5000 receiver. It would have been great though. I thought it would have put Dish right there at the same level of user friendliness as cable, especially if you could tune all the channels from the tuner in your TV.

Some of the repliers need to look at the date of the first post... 3 years! Someone already said the idea died, like this thread should....

will this product be the mpeg 4 solution, will the 811, 921, 942 still work when upgraded to mpeg 4? the way this looks is just to run a cable into it and run a cable out into a hd reciever.

Why wasting your time using those discontinued type of rcvrs (811,921,942) while you can upgrad it for free :D LOL

Incorporate wireless tech into this idea and it becomes a secure copy-free way to send HD video to the entire house. No more service calls to move receivers, no more rescheduled installs because of custom wiring, no customers complaining about more wires being run, technicians can install more jobs per day giving more money in their pockets..... I see nothing but pluses here.

Incorporate wireless tech into this idea and it becomes a secure copy-free way to send HD video to the entire house. No more service calls to move receivers, no more rescheduled installs because of custom wiring, no customers complaining about more wires being run, technicians can install more jobs per day giving more money in their pockets..... I see nothing but pluses here.

You ever had a UHF remote range problem? Take that times 100. A wireless solution would be more headache than the current one.

You ever had a UHF remote range problem? Take that times 100. A wireless solution would be more headache than the current one.

It's coming! Rivals embracing wireless hi-def video - CNN.com