First Look - Dish Whole House HD/SD Solution?

Gotcha. I guess my questions come more into the UI, remote control hardware and the way in which multiple TVs will select their content, esp. off a single HDD-based media server (i.e. the 'mother' DVR). My understanding with the V* system was that the thin client approach was simply another way of making the integration transparent...they went with tuners (in the STB) in the room only because, well, they were MPEG-4 upgradable, therefore still of use, and already in place. Makes sense that you could pull out all the legacy hardware with this E* system, mainly because the old hardware is apparently doorstop city once MPEG-4 goes into effect anyway.

I like this proposed approach better, of course. Less clutter is good, esp. since my sets have tuners and its a bit of overkill to have it duped in the STB right now for me anyway (but I know many are not in that boat).

I sure hope it has more than the illustrated two satellite inputs. Five would be a minimum, six or eight would be better.

One thing I'm curious about, what is the source of this information that we are all speculating about? Not that I would ever impugn Scott's credibility but no source is cited. Had it appeared 20 days ago I would have assumed it was an April Fool joke. At least they didn't call it the DP-666.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I guess you can call this a SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK.

It appears Dish Network is working on a whole house solution and will soon be announcing a new product called the DP-777 Home Headend.

Looks like a hoax to me.... I am not saying the information you received wasn't true - but I just can't picture this happening anytime soon...

Looks like a lot more hardware attached to your house. Wonder what happens when you drop their service. Will you have to pull all the modules and mail them back?

Sounds like this is their way to fight off the Moxi Media Server concept.

It would be great to have one central repository for all my recordings which could be seen on any set, but we'll see if this ever gets announced officially.

I am hearing this project will be awaile before its officialy announced, and I am told that at the moment it is only a concept.

It will NOT be shown at team summit next week.

So this means that it could be two or three years away? Perhaps this is what they plan on replacing everyone's system with when we all go to MPEG-4. This may be a cheaper alternative for them.

Looks slick - but like many people, my satellite connections go through my garage so that is where this box would go. I live in South Dakota where temperatures can vary 130+ degrees within a year. How long will hard drives on the DVR modules last under those conditions? Also - I hope they have the sense to ensure that one failed module won't bring the rest down and that they have the sense to use redundant power supplies. Lastly, presuming that they will need six different UHF frequencies to avoid interference, hopefully each remote will also have a settable system code so my system does not conflict with others in the neighborhood.

Hello all
Just a quick thought. This system will also have to be able to handle a second dish, or a super dish inputs into it. At the moment I need two dishes to be able to get everything I want. This new system would have to be able to support it.

Interesting concept for sure. I would also be very intersted in where this picture came from since I don't see any press release on it and it does not exist on their website. I would guess it would not be an april fools joke given the the fact that it has a Dish logo slapped on the front of it, hmm not sure what to make of it then. Possible part of a company confidential document. Hope not.

Looking forward to hearing more about this technology for sure. Wonder what the release horizon is? If I recall, Dish has shown plenty of things at Team summit that never see the light of day. Maybe we will and maybe we wont see this one, but an interesting thread for sure.

WeeJavaDude said:
Interesting concept for sure. I would also be very intersted in where this picture came from since I don't see any press release on it and it does not exist on their website. I would guess it would not be an april fools joke given the the fact that it has a Dish logo slapped on the front of it, hmm not sure what to make of it then. Possible part of a company confidential document. Hope not.

Looking forward to hearing more about this technology for sure. Wonder what the release horizon is? If I recall, Dish has shown plenty of things at Team summit that never see the light of day. Maybe we will and maybe we wont see this one, but an interesting thread for sure.

How's this for a theory - you want to come out with a new product but want widespread customer acceptance. After a rough concept, one of the first steps in any project is to gather requirements. Your most technically oriented and discerning customers (us) are gathered in an online forum. So - you have someone post a diagram and rough description of the concept, then sit back and let the tech savvy customers design it (define requirements) and point out the weaknesses (define risks). Hmmm.....

Why is it only the DBSTalk staff have negative comments about this.

Again it is a concept from Dish Network, does a working model exist? I don't know and personally doubt it.

I have seen lots of Dish Network concepts and MOST have never made it to the general public, some of them worked and worked well why they never made it I will never know.

If you want to see some great concepts check out Team Summit from last year. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15210 and http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15378 some interesting stuff there.

Will we see more concepts this week at Team Summit? We don't know but we will be posting live reports from the show, while the old guys at the other site continue to beg for money and try their hardest to immitate SatelliteGuys. :)

bbtkd said:
How's this for a theory - you want to come out with a new product but want widespread customer acceptance. After a rough concept, one of the first steps in any project is to gather requirements. Your most technically oriented and discerning customers (us) are gathered in an online forum. So - you have someone post a diagram and rough description of the concept, then sit back and let the tech savvy customers design it (define requirements) and point out the weaknesses (define risks). Hmmm.....
Gosh! You mean, they might actually be trying to do it right?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Why is it only the DBSTalk staff have negative comments about this.

Again it is a concept from Dish Network, does a working model exist? I don't know and personally doubt it.

I have seen lots of Dish Network concepts and MOST have never made it to the general public, some of them worked and worked well why they never made it I will never know.

If you want to see some great concepts check out Team Summit from last year. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15210 and http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15378 some interesting stuff there.

Will we see more concepts this week at Team Summit? We don't know but we will be posting live reports from the show, while the old guys at the other site continue to beg for money and try their hardest to immitate SatelliteGuys. :)

Actually pepper and thevoice also had some concerns having to do with the source. I don't believe they are DBSTalk staff. They were the first to post these concerns not me. Given the nature of the thread and how it was posted with out a source some concerns floated in my mind so I added them. Actually I did not plan on posting because I figured if I had any sceptism it would be taken as trying to stir it up.

So I take it Scott, Dish gave you permission to post this idea up for feedback? It was not clear in the post and that is the reasons for my comments. To me it looked like company confidential information and not a idea looking for feedback. As one poster posted, maybe it was for feedback and once again that was not clear in the original post. My post was an attempt for clarification where this actually info came from to help provide some validity to the concept since other people echoed the same concerns. And these people were not DBSTalk Staff.

As for stirring it up, sorry if you took my post that way. It was not intended. However, the name calling in your reply my be taken that way.

To avoid further stirring it up, I would bow out of this thread and try in the future not to post any sceptism to avoid it being taken as stirring things up.

Like I said. Interesting concept... Removed my comment post.

With such a concept like this it may allow wireless transmission from the dish to the home. One could have a box at the dish where the tuners would be located then if any boxes had to be hooked up at the television set or a hard drive would be needed then it can be installed inside the house at the tv or the wireless signal sent to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts