FIRST LOOK - Hopper OTA Module

i think that there is a USB OTA dongle's bug in the S230 update and they're holding it out, maybe we all get S231 instead.
could be any major bug and they get forced to push an s231 release.

With thanksgiving coming up, i'm skeptical we get anything this week. Might have to prepare yourself with another week of waiting.

Well...My OTA Tuner arrived today...now all I need is a Hopper to plug it into! :hungry:

(Install set for Wednesday! :D)
How did you get the tuner ? I thought you can't even order one -- can't even order WITH a Hopper -- until the Hopper is activated on your account ?

How did you get the tuner ? I thought you can't even order one -- can't even order WITH a Hopper -- until the Hopper is activated on your account ?

ZachS at DIRT set him up. It sounded like DIRT can set up new installs to mail out the tuner.

ZachS at DIRT set him up. It sounded like DIRT can set up new installs to mail out the tuner.

Ordered mine last night and was told that they could not order it until the Hopper was active on the account. My install is setup for Friday.

What's the bug? Did you source have an ETA on 231?

no source, i thought that based on a few posts about blank screen and the need to reset the receivers to gain image from the USB OTA dongle after updating to S230, maybe it's a glitch other than a bug, but who knows, there is no info about it from dish

Scott, you are getting some visibility from Karl Bode over on the front page of DSLreports: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Dish-to-Sell-30-OTA-Dongle-for-Hopper-DVR-122112
I just sent Karl a PM with a couple of corrections:

Hi Karl, couple of comments on the Dish Hopper OTA story (you can confirm these via Satellite Guys)

"they were able to pick up around 30 digital stations using the device"

^^ That is completely area-specific

"they note there was some problems with the Hopper program guide correctly labeling the content"

^^ That is a system-wide Dish guide issue, not unique to the Hopper's new OTA module

Yup...what sparc said! I posted in a thread about not being able to order one w/ my Hopper install order, even though the install was arranged thru DIRT. Zach saw the post and replied that he could take care of it, and after a PM, the OTA tuner was on the way. I like have these DIRT folks around! :yes

Perhaps we could use a couple of isolators on a single cable to dump the MOCA signal into a terminator. (Obviously connectivity would be by LAN.) Then we could diplex the OTA antenna signal as normal. Theoretically.

This is pretty much the setup I am using. I just have the OTA cable hooked to my tv until I get my USB tuner and software update.

Joe could you expand on your setup some more? I'd like to get two Hoppers w/two OTA dongles, but I have only a single coax running to the Hopper locations. Can we e.g. use an isolator just ahead of each Hopper to dump the MOCA signal, and then use a diplexer ahead of that to get the antenna signal to the dongle, while injecting the antenna signal at client output at the node? Let me make a diagram:

Code:
antenna ------------v
DPP antenna --> duo node ---> diplexer --> isolator --> Hopper
                                  v------> dongle  -------^

All Hoppers/Joeys would be connected via GigE LAN.

1H/2J install just completed...fresh with 230! :D

Now I just need to clean up the wiring and hook up the OTA Adapter and play!

I got the module today. No new software. At least my PC detects the thing when plugged in. It can't find any drivers though. I have to assume it will work when my Hopper is eventually "chosen" for the upgrade. I'm really missing the DirecTV CE program. This is horse flop. You'd think the presence of the module would be enough for the Hopper to pull an update since they sell this damn thing now with no warning that it won't work until they get their slow asses around to updating your Hopper. "Soon" is what I guess I'll hear.

Does the Super Joey support CEC?

Dish Blocked With Snow, How to get to OTA on 722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)