first receiver fee included in package?

bunkerbob

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Can someone tell me if the DishHD Gold package, @$69.99, already includes the lease fee for the first receiver? That's what I expected, but I just received my first bill after upgrading one of my 301's to a vip411, and discovered that they are charging me fees for all four of my receivers. Is this correct?

Specifically, my bill shows the following:
DHP DishHD Gold package and Movie Value Pak w/Locals $104.99
Addl Receiver Access Fee $6
Addl Receiver Access Fee $5
---------------------------------------------
Total before tax $115.99

I called DISH, and the CSR insisted that the billing was correct. He says the $104.99 breaks down to $69.99 for DishHD Gold + locals $5.00 + Cinemax/HBO $20.00 + $5 addl receiver fee, + $5 addl receiver fee. I don't know why two of the receiver fees are included in the $104.99 subtotal and two are separate. My receivers are 301, 301, vip411 (all leased), and 811 (owned).

I told the CSR that the online "Dish Builder" only adds receiver fees for the 2nd or subsequent TV's, so logically the first TV is included, but the CSR said no. "Dish builder" calculated a monthly fee of $105.99 for my setup of 2 HDTV's and 2 standard TV's, although the CSR did enlighten me (I think) by saying that Dish Builder assumes it can do this with 3 receivers (one dual tuner), saving $5 per month vs. my four receivers. But the CSR had no explanation for the remaining $5 discrepancy between my bill and Dish Builder, other than to say something to the effect of "the website must have an error in it". I asked for and spoke to his supervisor, who again insisted my bill was correct, but he offered me a $10 discount for 6 months as a conciliatory gesture for my "misunderstanding". I accepted the $60, but I still feel like I'm getting the short end. Am I?

You did a Dishing it up upgrade and the new receiver became your PRIMARY receiver so as a "DIU" it incurs the lease fee. Another sneaky way DISH increases it's profit at the expense of your wallet.

...ouch! maybe what I REALLY should have done is just cancelled my account, and had my wife open a brand new account, with all new MPEG4 equipment. It looks like it would have been faster, easier and cheaper than trying to navigate through this minefield of DISH upgrade gotchas!

Wait nevermind. You're not getting screwed. You're a DHP customer, like me, and we pay a lease fee for all our receivers, but get the DHPP warrantly included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)