First time dish

PotRoastMan

Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
MN
I've had comcast for years and am very tired of having to negotiate fair prices annually. So I am thinking about cutting it and trying something different for awhile.

I'm leaning toward Dish, but I'm nervous. Since Dish Network and DirecTV both have 2-year contracts (in order to get the best prices), I want to be sure I make the right choice and not feel like I made a mistake down the road. It is difficult to understand all of the details on their websites, the different fees, taxes, and really know what the monthly price is going to be. It appears that Dish is cheaper..

I want a DVR for sure, and probably HD. Other than that I would pick the most basic package with those options. I'm looking for the best HD+DVR deal possible. Since I've had comcast forever, I'm used to having the dual-tuner dvr also.

I am in Minnesota. Are there any service concerns during the extreme cold (can be -20F for a few weeks), heavy snow that stays for months, and some strong storms/winds in summer?

If you long time users were to do it all over, what would you be looking for.

DISH is cheaper for ALL programming packs than Directv. DISH has better hd dvrs than Directv. IF all you want is one hd dvr and another hd receiver , then DISH would be best. The hd dvr can be used for hd in one room and sd in another room. Also the DISH dvr fee 6.00 per account vs 7.00 per account with Directv. IF you want multiple dvrs on multiple tvs like 3 or more, then DIRECTV is cheaper because they charge $5.00 per extra receiver ,regardless if sd or hd or dvr, vs DISH who charges $17.00 per duo tuner dvr.

I don't live in the "snow belt" but one thing I regret was having the installer put the dish just under the roof line on the back of the house. Sure, it's aesthetically (sp?) pleasing, but I wish I would have had him mount it where I could get to it with a broom (even if I have to get a step ladder out).

I've had comcast for years and am very tired of having to negotiate fair prices annually. So I am thinking about cutting it and trying something different for awhile.

I'm leaning toward Dish, but I'm nervous. Since Dish Network and DirecTV both have 2-year contracts (in order to get the best prices), I want to be sure I make the right choice and not feel like I made a mistake down the road. It is difficult to understand all of the details on their websites, the different fees, taxes, and really know what the monthly price is going to be. It appears that Dish is cheaper..

I want a DVR for sure, and probably HD. Other than that I would pick the most basic package with those options. I'm looking for the best HD+DVR deal possible. Since I've had comcast forever, I'm used to having the dual-tuner dvr also.

I am in Minnesota. Are there any service concerns during the extreme cold (can be -20F for a few weeks), heavy snow that stays for months, and some strong storms/winds in summer?

If you long time users were to do it all over, what would you be looking for.

As far as the snow, get an ice zapper, has worked great for me, just hooked it up to an outside outlet that has an indoor switch, just turn it on when it snows. Get the one w/o thermometer, because then it turns on anytime its cold instead of just when its snowing. Plus it costs less. If you buy it before you get dish installed the tech will most likely put it up for you if you slip him a nice tip, I got it after and it was a bit of a pain to put it up.

If you sign with dish and pick a HD dvr you should get the VIP 722k which is very good,how i know is my uncle just signed with dish a few weeks ago and that is what he got.:cool:

Just make sure you ask for a duo, even if you don't need the extra tv out, you don't want a 612. I have had three techs out in the last three days to switch out both 612s with different models and to switch to Max, they couldn't do it all at once because of their computer system, and each one said the 612s were bad and they saw a lot of problems with them. Plus it will not make a difference in price since it will be your first receiver, just say you plan to have a second or third tv if they don't want to give it to you since you said you want a dual tuner DVR. If you use tv2 (SD) on the 722k it will make it basically a single tunner on each tv. Just get a 211k for the other tv if you have one.

This is great info, thanks everyone.

What about the programming agreements.. I see I can pay 24.99/mo for the first year and then 39.99/mo for year #2. Plus the HD+DVR fees and some taxes of course. Are those prices locked in or are they able to increase their prices like Comcast sometimes does.

Dish has a nasty habit of increasing prices every Feb 1st. This year there was no package increase but they increased the prices of additional receivers.

If all you need is one DVR receiver (it can be a 2 tuner model running 2 different TV's), you will not be affected by the additional receiver fees. You will want a 722 or 722k. Tell them you want to run 2 TV's regardless of your situation. TV2 can also be used to do pip on TV1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts