Flat cable question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I've got a townhome rental so no holes were allowed, I got the tech to come in behind the stationary side of my back sliding door using a flat cable.

I know you can get these pretty cheap online, just wondering how durable they are and if it would be smart to buy some spares.

Any particular kind recommended? Ive seen some installs by me where they put the flat cable in the doors way which amazes me, I wouldnt think theyd last long getting hit by a sliding door a few times per day.

don't keep closing and opening the door. and it only works good on window that does not have alot of curve. it dosent not work good with sliding door with alot of curves.

Opening and closing the door wont affect me. I actually unscrewed the permanent side of the sliding door and slid it out, ran the flat cable through and then slid it back in place and re-secured.

This is basically like a window that never opens, wondering how long a flat cable can handle this setup before deteriorating.

I have one set up at our lake house for a second satellite line. Been up for 2+ years now with no issues :)

Its on a window that very rarely gets opened

Tapes not a good sealer at all unless your using the old tar tape that you can still find at some auto parts stores. Dish had been trying out a heavy duty flat cable last year that was rated for dishpro and dishpro plus so I would contact them about the flat cable before going to radio hacks before buying what they have.

When I have done installs on condo's and townhomes I would look for where the a/c line goes in from the condensor, usually the heating and cooling guys make the holes large enough for you to run a couple of coax lines in, you just have to carefully remove what ever sealer they used and replace it, just make sure not to put the coax on the return line as it gets pretty hot.

I think where its at itll be fine. It seems heavier duty than Ive seen before. Dishdepot or someone sells one just like it, gonna order a couple of spares next week.

For some reason I thought heavy wrapping of good electrical tape made a good seal.

No electrical tape wont seal out water, call it an urban myth thanks to the story of duct tape sealing a pinhole in a radiator hose on a car many years ago. Dishdepot most likely has the same flat cable that dishnetwork does, it should be about 10 inches or so long and the casing should feel sturdy in your hands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts