Flat connectors used with HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
So I finally got my Slimline installed and am ready for the new HD channels but I had a question about the installation. For the phase III dish I had, the installer had these flat cables that ran underneath the window so that I could close the window. The new installer said they wouldn't work for HD so he had to replace those with barrel connectors and now I have to leave my window open. No big deal because I'm on the 3rd floor and nobody's going to break in anyway but it got me thinking. When I mentioned that my OTA antenna was also using one of those flat cables, he said that wouldn't be a problem but I responded by saying that I'm getting HD over the OTA, so what's the difference?

Anybody have a clear understanding of using the flat connectors vs. barrel connectors with HD for the dish and OTA antenna?

Antenna uses a different frequency for the signal.. Dish requires a cable that uses a much higher frequency to pass the signal back and forth to the dish. And that flat cable just can't handle the higher frequencies well.

Thanks for the replies. And fortunately yes, I do live in a warm area. But foam tape insulation works pretty well to keep the heat out too! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts