Flat RG6 + HD = screwed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tokyomonster

Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Just had D* installed today, and I haven't been able to test this thoroughly because apparently our receiver is bad, and the tech will replace that later today -- but..

We live in an apartment complex where they cannot drill through the walls, so we're using flat rg6 through a window which won't get much use to run about..maybe 11 ft tops of cable in a straight line to the receiver..

I haven't been able to find too much information one way or the other, but should I expect issues with HD channels and flat cable? Will I lose signal easily, or get lip syncing or pixelation? Is it worth keeping if I have to use flat cable?

480p signals looked ok, but 1080i was simply unwatchable. Way too pixelated. Then again, it could have been the receive, as it was defective, according to the tech..

Any help will be appreciated...I'd hate to have to go back to time warner :(

Is this a hung (opens vertically), jealousy, a tip out or a sideways slide type window?

Flat cables typically aren't very wonderful, but they're usually very short and the primary concern is having all those connectors in the line. The dish needs to be pretty close to the window to mitigate voltage drop.

You may have to go with standard cable and some weatherstripping to close the gap.

Is this a hung (opens vertically), jealousy, a tip out or a sideways slide type window?

Flat cables typically aren't very wonderful, but they're usually very short and the primary concern is having all those connectors in the line. The dish needs to be pretty close to the window to mitigate voltage drop.

You may have to go with standard cable and some weatherstripping to close the gap.

Well, the good thing is that nothing is too far away, so the dish is maybe about a foot--maybe two away from where it meets the outside end of the flat cable. And the window slides horizontally..

So, the flat cable can sit in there without getting too much damage, but with a regular cable, there'd be no way to close the window all the way.

Are there any "special" or higher quality flat cables that would help me more than the standard ones directtv uses?

DIRECTV requires installers to use suitable cables, but I don't think they'll guarantee that the window will close and lock.

DIRECTV requires installers to use suitable cables, but I don't think they'll guarantee that the window will close and lock.

Yeah, I don't think that'll be a problem. I'm just wondering if my HD is going to look crappy..

Guess the only way I can tell is if I wait :)

Yeah, I don't think that'll be a problem. I'm just wondering if my HD is going to look crappy..

I would not expect it to be a problem, afterall they are made to do what your doing with it, with the cable only being a foot long or less, I don't see it to be a problem.

Let us know how it is when you get it.

Jimbo

I would not expect it to be a problem, afterall they are made to do what your doing with it, with the cable only being a foot long or less, I don't see it to be a problem.

Let us know how it is when you get it.

Jimbo

So, have it all set up. We were having issues where it always time out and try to get signal on the second input, but the tech dropped off a new BBC and it seems to be working fine now.

Running the cable from the dish, through two flat cables, to about 11ft of rg6, to the receiver in a straight line and the quality is more or less the same as time warner was on SD and HD channels, so I'm pretty happy. The flat wires do seem pretty sensitive to opening/shutting the window, but as long as we're careful I think it'll be fine.

As an FYI, the installers in my area have been told that they can no longer use flatwire to do an install, and they've been pulled from all of the trucks.

Supposedly, a flatwire caught fire and burned a house somewhere, but I wasn't given any other details.

A signal is a signal and the PQ of the HD will not fluctuate; its either on or not. I have used flat RG6 jumpers for years with no issues at all.

Used flat wire for several years with my HD DVR's and had no issues. You should be fine. Might wanna buy some extras. If you close a door on them regularly, they can break down. Ebay...lot of 12 for like 20 bucks.

You could also cut a narrow metal strip to fit the window opening, drill a couple of holes and install barrel feed-through connectors. A pin-type lock from your local hardware store will allow the window to lock.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)