Flimflam outfit

mewalden

Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
On November 4, 2008, 9PM, the following screen was displayed:

"Attention 588
If you wish to eliminate the per month additional outlet programming access fee, this receiver must be continuously connected to your land-based phone line."

DISH personnel have only told me that the phone connection is necessary for pay-per-views, and for changing subscription options. I have no idea where they ever told me in my contract that I might have the "additional outlet programming access fee ". What rights do I have? Isn't this a contract violation?

A phone line or broadband connection must be hooked up to your receivers at all times. This is specified in the user agreement you accepted.

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

DISH personnel have only told me that the phone connection is necessary for pay-per-views, and for changing subscription options. I have no idea where they ever told me in my contract that I might have the "additional outlet programming access fee ". What rights do I have? Isn't this a contract violation?

None. You agreed to these fees when you signed up. If you had Direct TV, you would have no option to waive these fees. At least you are provided an option with Dish.

On November 4, 2008, 9PM, the following screen was displayed:

"Attention 588
If you wish to eliminate the per month additional outlet programming access fee, this receiver must be continuously connected to your land-based phone line."

be an informed consumer. do your homework before buying. the info has always been out there.

Why doesn't everyone just jump up and defend your baby(DISH)? Just answer the guy's question/query. You shouldn't lambaste the guy, are you his dad(s)? I'm sure that all of you guys read EVERY word of your mortgage closing documents, right? Get off of your high horses people, especially you DishSubLa, your post was rude.

mewalden, you shouldn't call Dish names like that, especially since you failed to do your due diligence.

Nick

Why doesn't everyone just jump up and defend your baby(DISH)? Just answer the guy's question/query. You shouldn't lambaste the guy, are you his dad(s)? I'm sure that all of you guys read EVERY word of your mortgage closing documents, right? Get off of your high horses people, especially you DishSubLa, your post was rude.

mewalden, you shouldn't call Dish names like that, especially since you failed to do your due diligence.

Nick

Didn't read what he signed? Looks like a government intervention is needed!

If they (the government) can do it for would be home owners, why not for Dish subscribers?

Sometimes you have to be rude, as personal responsibility has long vanished from this republic.

Why doesn't everyone just jump up and defend your baby(DISH)? Just answer the guy's question/query. You shouldn't lambaste the guy, are you his dad(s)? I'm sure that all of you guys read EVERY word of your mortgage closing documents, right? Get off of your high horses people, especially you DishSubLa, your post was rude...

pancakebunny-14678.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't read what he signed? Looks like a government intervention is needed!

If they (the government) can do it for would be home owners, why not for Dish subscribers?

Sometimes you have to be rude, as personal responsibility has long vanished from this republic.

my dvd player doesnt show Dishnetwork picture, SOMEONE promised me it would.....

the government should get me my money back!!!!

same kind of folks that would reather spend 3 hours on the phone with tech support in india (with 2 disconnects), post 20 questions to a forum, and wait a week for a service call just to have a tech come out and push the "mode" button.

how dare ANYONE recommend that ANYONE read an owners manual...

its pathetic really.

Why would a DVD player show your satellite service?

The installers job is to get satellite signals from your satellite receiver and show those signals on your TV.

Let's get practical here. Most readers here know a lot more about Dish than I do but I think I have an idea for this guy. I got charged $5 once for not having my receiver hooked up to a phone line as I take my receiver to a second home and sometimes in a travel trailer for 5 weeks at a time. I complained too. An experienced guy on this forum told me to hit "Menu" on the remote, then 6-3, then select the "call out" option. when you can hook the receiver up to ANY phone line, even if briefly. The receiver sort of immediately "phones home" for updates and you get credit for hooking the thing up. It doesn't have to have been hooked up to your phone line of record.

You do this every few days or maybe just twice a month. I've noticed that when I'm at the second home, even for two weeks or more at a time, the system essentially says it doesn't need to call out. If I had to guess, I'd say that mdwalden above got that message after he had not been hooked up to a phone line for many weeks.

So he should disconnect from where it is and hook it up to ANY phone call for the call out. I personally guarantees this works because I've done it and have not been hit for a $5 fee since I started doing this about a year ago.

Last edited:
So he should disconnect from where it is and hook it up to ANY phone call for the call out. I personally guarantees this works because I've done it and have not been hit for a $5 fee since I started doing this about a year ago.
A note of caution. When you dial an 800 number the party your calling has to pay so is given your phone number whether or not you block caller I.D. so depending how vigilant the "theft of service" department is, they could have you, dead bang, as violating their terms of service.

Word to the wise.

I run a 50 foot phone wire across a few rooms every two weeks to get the receiver to dial out just to avoid the $5 fee. I'm up to over $100 in savings by doing this. A pain but worth it to me. Not really interested in getting any new hookups or adapters. Only takes about 10-15 minutes a month. Usually do it during football games or wrestling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts