Food For Thought...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok, not trying to start rumors or anything, just something to make you think and wonder...

It's being reported that Dish Network is lighting up many of its unused transponders at 148 on Echostar 2.

As you know Echostar holds the licences to all the transponders at 148.

The question is what is Echostar planning on using those transponders for? Will they be using them for themselves or will they be renting them out to someone else?

That's some food for thought for today. :)

Deal with Voom for HD Content

Perhaps a deal with Voom so the folks on the West Coast can get Voom or more easiliy get Voom while Dish gets access to some of the Voom unique HD programming. Could also mean a Dish buyout of Voom.

Could they just be testing them as a health check of the satellite?

Even if they got access to Voom programming, how would they get it to the East Coast people (unless Voom want to dump plans to go the mpeg4)?

They would have to get something pretty good in return to lease the space to a competitor.

As usual, my only guess for E* use would be locals. Perhaps to help if the one dish rule kicks in. Indirectly, this could free up space on 110/119 for more HD.

I could see:

1. Small markets, they could probably fit 20-30 small markets on 148, but the problem with this theory is that there are not many markets left west of the Mississippi that could see the 148 satellite easily and do not have LIL, and 105 and 121 superdish satellites still have not filled out yet.

2. Western Feeds! They could put the western feeds of both STD and HDTV channels out there.

3. Teaming up with VOOM, this would be interesting if Dish worked out a deal with VOOM, but the problem is that DISH/VOOM use different encryption/video standards, although the broadcom chipsets in the HD boxes in theory could do both standards, but it hard to know if it is possible to get it working. VOOM just has 8k installed and 3500 more waiting, they could practically switch out all the VOOM boxes for 811s, and switch 61.5 VOOM to DVB/Nagravision. Dish has the capacity on 148 to mirror all the VOOM 61.5.

4. Dish just renting out the transponders to VOOM... Hard to believe they would give up this much capacity.

Dish will probably use it to put the smaller market locals that are already up on 110 or 119. Since they have to take channels off of 148 & 61.5 and put them on 110/119 for the "one dish for locals", some markets will probably go to 148 (and 61.5 when they clean that off)

Looking at Tony Suarez's "Local Coverage Map "there is still some areas that can see 148 that locals arent available yet
-Western ND (Bismark/Minot/Dickinson..huge DMA)
-Western SD (Rapid City..huge DMA)
-Western NE (North Platte)
-Most of MT

just a hunch

The odds are greater it will be for locals rather than HDTV seeing the two dish solution seems to be shot down by congress. And Charlie has said there is no HDTV worth rebroadcasting.

mike123abc said:
I could see:

1. Small markets, they could probably fit 20-30 small markets on 148, but the problem with this theory is that there are not many markets left west of the Mississippi that could see the 148 satellite easily and do not have LIL, and 105 and 121 superdish satellites still have not filled out yet.

2. Western Feeds! They could put the western feeds of both STD and HDTV channels out there.

3. Teaming up with VOOM, this would be interesting if Dish worked out a deal with VOOM, but the problem is that DISH/VOOM use different encryption/video standards, although the broadcom chipsets in the HD boxes in theory could do both standards, but it hard to know if it is possible to get it working. VOOM just has 8k installed and 3500 more waiting, they could practically switch out all the VOOM boxes for 811s, and switch 61.5 VOOM to DVB/Nagravision. Dish has the capacity on 148 to mirror all the VOOM 61.5.

4. Dish just renting out the transponders to VOOM... Hard to believe they would give up this much capacity.

I agree, #1 is not very likely. #2 is even less likely IMHO because it would cause a huge upturn in free second dish installs on the west coast. I'm sure that's the last thing Dish wants right now! #3 sounds interesting - perhaps a partnership move with Rainbow DBS? They could trade capacity on 148 for access to programming by Dish subs.

My guess as to what may be happening is that there is some provision of E*s license that those frequencies have to be used from time to time to avoid forfeiture and re-auction by the FCC. It could be that Rainbow or someone else was challenging E* just sitting on those frequencies and letting them stay dark in the hopes that they could get their hands on them.

I've heard on here several times of the idea of VOOM and E* getting together and E* broadcasting their HD content. Pardon the ignorance, but I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119, I believe. If this came to pass and they were on 148...what would I have to do to see 148 (in Charlotte, NC area)? Add another Dish?

DWS44 said:
I've heard on here several times of the idea of VOOM and E* getting together and E* broadcasting their HD content. Pardon the ignorance, but I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119, I believe. If this came to pass and they were on 148...what would I have to do to see 148 (in Charlotte, NC area)? Add another Dish?
Actually, I doubt you can 'see' 148 from where you are - but 61 would be doing the same job for the east coast. And yes, you'd have to add another dish and the proper switch. That's best left for another time.

If E* were to acquire Voom, they could easily replace all the Voom receivers with E* units. The numbe is not that large.

I am impressed, very good thinking everyone!

I could see Dish doing #4 and sharing / renting space with VOOM.

I could see them working a deal so common HD channels such as Bravo HD, Cinemax HD, The Movie Channel HD, Starz HD, Encore HD, and TNT HD would be available to both Dish and VOOM customers.

I could see VOOM renting space from Dish to open up service more on the West Coast.

I believe it could be possible for VOOM to broadcast their channels in both NDS and Niagra modes by broadcasting two seperate data streams.

A partnership between both companies would be good for both companies. And doing it as quick as possible would also help both out. Most of Dish Networks customers still have Dish's pointed at 61.5 or 148.

It's a Win Win all around.

Lets hear your comments.

Yup which is why I posted this in the DISH area. :D

I have a feeling there are going to be a few surprises late next week. :)

I do wonder what ratio of HD customers have a dish pointed to 61.5 or 148. My guess is a large percentage didn't get into the dish HD picture until the cheap refurb 6000 and 811 deals were going on.

I had a 61.5 dish until they (HD) moved to 110. When they moved I removed the dish and sided the wall it was mounted on. I'd hate to go back and remount the dish, but if that's what it takes to get more HD, so be it.

I guess I'm lucky it was winter here in Mich.,keep me from taking it down(that's what I told my wife anyways)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts