Food HD "Black Flashes"? Anyone else?

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I've noticed the last few weeks that my recordings from Food HD will every once in awhile have a quick (maybe a just a frame or so) black "flash". It will happen maybe a couple times in a half hour program. I don't know if this problem is exclusive to Food HD for me. Especially since that seems to be all I watch lately! :hungry:

It's not a horrible problem, but I'm wondering if I can fix it or if anyone else has noticed such a thing and can explain it! Thanks.

Unplug the receiver for at least 30 seconds (hard reset). If the problem persists, it may be a hard drive problem - call Dish for a replacement.

Yes, this happens to me as well. Seems to be a recent thing, and seems to be only Food HD (and maybe Food SD also, but can't remember).

I had something like this going on with my 622 just a few days after install but it wasn't limited to the Food Channel. It occured on any bright white flashes, such as any flash photography on the screen (really bad on CSI) and the screen would go black for about 2 seconds. Some days were worse than others and it was really annoying. I called Dish about it and the tech seemed really not to have heard about it being a known issue.

Anyway, I finally decided I had to test the issue because I was running the video output from the 622 to my Onkyo receiver for component switching, so the problem could have been either the Onkyo video throughput or a bad cable. I switched the component cable to go straight to the TV and that solved the problem. No more black flashes.

I believe the first question you need to ask yourself is "Why am I watching the Food Network in the first place?"

Actually the flashing was happening on ANY HD channel including OTA.

Again a reboot fixed it. :)

Its been a long time since a rebooted my 622.

Boy Meets Grill with Bobby Flay is a great show. He cooks the sort of thing you might make yourself on your grill, filmed in HD with a pleasant upbeat 5.1 soundtrack.

I can give at least one reason. Giada De Laurentiis!!

Touche. My wife loves Rachel Ray and I just can't stand watching her. She gets on my nerves so bad. She would be much better with the volume down.

ClevelandRob said:
And why do you have Chuck Norris as your avatar!?!

Because Chuck Norris uses redhot lava to moisturize his skin.
Becuase Chuck Norris does not love Raymond.
Because Chuck Norris puts the FUN in Funeral.
Because Chuck Norris can hold Puff Daddy down.
And because Chuck Norris IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU.

I'm sure you've seen this but if not Chuck Norris Facts

Because Chuck Norris uses redhot lava to moisturize his skin.
Becuase Chuck Norris does not love Raymond.
Because Chuck Norris puts the FUN in Funeral.
Because Chuck Norris can hold Puff Daddy down.
And because Chuck Norris IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU.

I'm sure you've seen this but if not Chuck Norris Facts

'nuff said! :bow

So unplugging the unit fixes it? Mine has been doing this also... seems to be getting more noticeable/frequent as well.

Ditto here on my 622... same black flashes, and only on Food HD so far as I've noticed. I'll try the 30-second power cycle tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts