Football in HD!

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I knew that the CFL was supposed to be on WORLD in June, but its merely May 17th and I just noticed that the Canadian Football League games are now on WORLD in HD.

I am new to the CFL, but football is football! The picture looks great (even if it is just HD-Lite; compared with SD 4:3, this is great. (I did not have HD last NFL season) ).

From the guide it looks like there are games on Wednesday Friday nights. Cool!!

I think that this is a game from last year; as the CFL Website shows the 2006 season starting in June -- http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=sked&func=view

PLUS, the TSN banner occasionally say's "WENDY's FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL" and as far as I know, today is just Wednesday :) And if it is already Friday in Canada, then our friends to the north have a good deal!

But who cares, the game is new to me!

EDIT: I confirmed this is game # 11 from last year; the CFA website provides stats on an OTT EDM game in June 05 where there the score is identical at the half to where it is now. But again, who cares! I suspect we will get the new games in June.

I tuned in to see a score of 12 to 1. I was confused like unfrozen caveman lawyer and went into a frenzy and trashed my living room. This did not compute, you can't have a score of 1 in football. Even a 12 is very unlikely.

The 12 - 1 caught me too.

If you go to the score-by-score page from the game: http://www.cfl.ca/gamestats/11scoring.pdf

It says that 1 point was given to the other team when there was a missed field goal.

There were also a few safeties. The twelve came from 2 points from a safety.

ALSO - did you notice the 55 yard line. There were two 50 yard lines and a 55 in the middle.

Its different, but still football!

At one point, there was the Sask. Roughriders and the Ottawa Roughriders.

Other than the single points, the field is longer and wider. There are only 3 downs, so there is a lot more passing.

The CFL had a few teams in the US in the early 90's, one of them actually won the Grey Cup, but the fan support just wasn't there. I think if the CFL started earlier to end before the NFL started, there could be an bigger following here in the US.

angiodan said:
At one point, there was the Sask. Roughriders and the Ottawa Roughriders.

Other than the single points, the field is longer and wider. There are only 3 downs, so there is a lot more passing.

The CFL had a few teams in the US in the early 90's, one of them actually won the Grey Cup, but the fan support just wasn't there. I think if the CFL started earlier to end before the NFL started, there could be an bigger following here in the US.
That would be the Baltimore CFL Colts/Stallions.

riffjim4069 said:
That would be the Baltimore CFL Colts/Stallions.

Ok....here comes an EXTREMELY premature question...since we are talking about football, is it safe to say that the NFL will NOT sign an exclusive contract with DIRECTV when the current one runs out after the 2009-2010 season? he is a NOT so preemie question...does DISH carry The NFL Network on HD?

I eagerly wait your opinions.....:D

No it is not safe to say that the NFL will not renew NFL:ST with DirecTV. They have renewed consistently for the past few contracts, with exclusivity. Keep in mind that Murdoch has a "loss leader" philosphy. He'll lose money on NFL:ST itself, if it carries over to making more $$$ for D* in general and also his other cable networks.

So while NFL:ST's fee might not pay for itself outright, the fact that it might draw a customer who might otherwise have gone with Dish or Cable can make it worth while. So D* would also get revenue from all months of the year, and also any extra $$$ which can be gained by premium channels or PPV.

Murdoch lost money on the NFL contracts for the FOX TV network, but by having the NFL, that put FOX on the map. TV stations in markets which lacked a FOX affliate paid up to join, with that FOX could charge nationwide rates for their network.

Charlie does not have networks to support and does not subscribe to this loss leader philsophy. So I would never expect NFL:ST to ever be exclusive to Dish. Only if it ended up like the rest of the sports packages.

Dish does carry the NFL network in HD, but really the NFL network only has about 2 hrs or so of HDTV programming a week. It was usually on Wed/Thur nights at 9pm for an hour.

Cyclone said:
Dish does carry the NFL network in HD, but really the NFL network only has about 2 hrs or so of HDTV programming a week. It was usually on Wed/Thur nights at 9pm for an hour.

Where does Dish carry NFL Network in HD? Not on my feed. It is not listed in the Dish HD packages. Am I missing something?

Well, with this being out of Season, the NFL-HD channel has been removed from the guide. It will likely return next season.

Look at www.dishchannelchart.com for more info. Its channel 9464.. You'll see it marked in red since its out of season now.

Cyclone said:
Well, with this being out of Season, the NFL-HD channel has been removed from the guide. It will likely return next season.

Look at www.dishchannelchart.com for more info. Its channel 9464.. You'll see it marked in red since its out of season now.

I see it on the chart. I look forward to it becoming active in a few months!

Actually there are reports of the NFL-HD now having a change of status. It looks like it may get its own dedicated Transponder (which means it might become a full time 24/7 channel). Keep our fingers crossed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)