For those of you who got CBS-HD...

I requested my waiver from WPRI (Rhode Island) on 3/29/04. It was granted on 3/30/04. I faxed it to DN on 4/2/04 and I had the New York CBS HD feed on 4/3/04. Have not had a chance to watch it yet maybe tonight.

As to waivers, I have always wondered with the advent of scanning, image editing software, and the like, why couldn't someone take a waiver that was granted to someone else for that specific station, and scan it in to a computer, change the name/address info and then fax that to E* or D* to gain access to programming?

In other words, if I had been granted a waiver for a specific station in my DMA, could I not scan that letter in, change the name on it and give it to a friend nearby me?

I wonder how long the distants would "stick" before being removed!

Reedl

Cbs Hd

Hi,
I was also wondering about CBS HD as I already get local WCBS from NYC (and have a 811, a dish pointing at 61.5 and an HD projector) so I called DN but the rep was clueless (you already get HD CBS on channel 2, he said :( ) so I browsed here and found this great thread...and called Susie (she was asking where I got her phone number from :D )...and, guess what, I needed no waiver and she gave me access to the real CBS HD channel in 10'.

It now shows up at channel 9453 (moving today to 9483).

Many thanks for your help.

You make the waiver request of Dish Network. They fax the waiver form to your station, NON_O&O, then the Station is required to respond within 30 days to the waiver. If they deny it you can contest the denial with test reports from an independent testing company. These tests will determine your ability to receive the CBS signal or not by FCC standards. This contesting takes place in the next 30 days and the station has 30 days to respond to the contest reports but in most cases the station will not go to the trouble of contesting your independent reports as it is just too costly for them to be bothered by it. At this point in time you could have 90 days in the process.
If the station does not respond to the waiver within 30 days the FCC may be contacted to report the station for a violation. In a few cases this non-response has resulted in an FCC automatic waiver!
In my case experience, DishNetwork FAXED the waiver form to the ast. engineer's fax at the station. I found out who that was. I also had a station commitment for waiver acceptance prior to making the request so the next step was slam dunk as the faxed waiver was filled out immediately but I discovered Dish had not received it because it was sitting on some secretary's desk at the station. Once I located the "missing form", in a week, it was faxed back to DishNetwork and I received a phone call from them to verify the $1.50 charge would be added to my account for the CBS-HD channel. It was turned on immediately with my acceptance of the $1.50 charge and my decision to receive WCBS as opposed to KCBS. I had a choice.

Locally we have a sat tech who conducts tests for signals to override station denials. I spoke to him about his experience and he also showed me his signal meters he uses to take signal readings. He charges to conduct these tests for people wanting the waiver. He told me that in addition to basic signal strength, the reception test will also fail if there is excessive multipath. I was not aware of this and I have not verified this in the regs but I trust this guy when he tells me he has had quite a few waiver request denials successfully contested due to multipath.
For anyone who has had a waiver denial and you really want CBS-HD from E*, I'd suggest you investigate the contesting process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)