? for those that have moved up in tv size

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I presently have a 55" Samsung paired with my HWS. I would like to increase the tv size to 75" or 78". Would I notice much change in picture quality?

4k or 1080, the poster went from from @ 55 to 70 and noticed a difference
hence the relevance
and like I told him immediately following I have a 75" and the picture is perfect, 4K and 1080i. I went from a 65" to a 70" to a 75" over time and I have never seen a depreciation of picture. Quit trying to make a general issue out of a single user's issue.

I have a UHD (refuse to call it 4K when it isn't) 70" TV. Looks great with 1080i/p content, which is mostly what I watch on it. Any set that big, you can only sit so close to anyway or you won't see the whole thing, so the distance will mask any size increase-related issues. Also, the video processors in major brands have gotten so good that the upscaling smooths out any possible issues related to that.

65" or larger is the threshold for seeing a difference, if much. My 60" 1080p and two 720p 42" inch plasma's runs rings around most everything else I've seen in equivalent size 4k.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I see very few if any (exactly ONE) TV's larger than 55 inches that are not 2160i/p with a cursory scan of BestBuy's website.

Of course the less expensive ones are not HDR, but...

Does anyone notice much difference between the motion rate of 120 and 240? Is 240 worth the extra money.

Well, that depends on whether you are talking about real numbers or marketing numbers.

Fake Refresh Rate Conversion: Samsung Clear Motion Rate vs Sony MotionFlow vs LG Motion Clarity Index

I don't think you can even get real 240 any more. I prefer 120 because I notice judder, and 3:2 pulldown seems to work better for 24 fps content.

What is the Refresh Rate? 60Hz vs 120Hz

I seem to notice more on larger sets than smaller ones. So, a 32-inch set would probably be fine with 60Hz, while a 70-inch set could really use 120Hz.

Reactions: jerryez
thanks for all of the replies

When I do upgrade, it will be to a 4K or UHD, whatever you want to call it. It will also be connected via HDMI

Regarding the link to the guy that isn't satisfied with his picture with a Vizio & HWS........if this was a wide spread problem, wouldn't there be more complaints?

As long as you use a high speed cable for hdmi that comes with the Hopper , you should see a good picture. But I have to warn you that you won't really notice that much difference between Hd and 4k. It isn't the type of "WOW" experience you got from going from SD to Hd tvs back last decade. When I first got my Vizio 4k tv I really didn't notice anything different ,till I noticed I had an older hdmi cable in the mix going from the A/v receiver to my tv. Once I put a high speed hdmi cable on that last output , the picture improved, but to me it only looked smoother than before. I don't have HDR on this tv , because I had tried a Phillips 4k with Hdr and the colors looked way too garish and it was very off putting. Was like watching an old episode of Batman with all the wild colors and the facial color looked anywhere from "Simpsons" yellow to Trump orange. I gave that tv back after a month of trying to compensate for the colors , last December.

thanks for all of the replies

When I do upgrade, it will be to a 4K or UHD, whatever you want to call it. It will also be connected via HDMI

Regarding the link to the guy that isn't satisfied with his picture with a Vizio & HWS........if this was a wide spread problem, wouldn't there be more complaints?

HDMI compatibility problems are rarer these days than they used to be, but they still exist. If you want to avoid the possibility of the same issue mdram pointed out, maybe avoid that particular model. Back in the day, I had to use component because I just couldn't make the 722 work over HDMI with my Samsung 46" at the time. I haven't had an issue since though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)