For those thinking 5G will fix the rural broadband gap

Sadly federal grants are what it takes to implement rural broadband and due to bribes and incompetence, grants always seem to get awarded to the worst provider with the worst technology and infrastucture.
DSL providers like Frontier Communications have received hundreds of millions in grants only to bring very slow DSL running over defective copper wire networks for rediculous monthly rates.
Wireless internet providers can supply rural areas faster, cheaper, and
provide greater speeds but without heavy investment and government
grants, they can't pull it off.

Reactions: ncted
Wireless internet providers can supply rural areas faster, cheaper, and provide greater speeds but without heavy investment and government grants, they can't pull it off.
It is a chicken and egg situation. Without the infrastructure to extend to the wireless towers, it is difficult to make wireless work. Too many seem to think that wireless can build on wireless.

Reactions: ncted and navychop
It is a chicken and egg situation. Without the infrastructure to extend to the wireless towers, it is difficult to make wireless work. Too many seem to think that wireless can build on wireless.

The grants that went to Frontier were intended only for "middle mile"
upgrades to their network so that ALL ISPs snf CLECs could use it o bring faster internet to rural areas.
Instead Frontier spent most of the money on end mile infrastructure that only served Frontier customers.
And yes, ATT for example abandoned using Frontier's fiber network and installed their own microwave network due to poor reliability.
It's actually simple and cheap to set up back hauls and access points.
I have done it for decades.
But without the bribe money needed to get government grants, the millions needed are hard to raise

all these years I used to think that all the wireless towers just talked to each other wirelessly.....not

There is a reason MCI used railroad right of ways
IIRC, that was mostly SPRINT (Southern Pacific Railroad INTerconnect).

Railroads don't get you into the hills all that well. They're great for connecting major cities but once you get off the main lines, they're typically not all that useful. The kinds of lines we're talking about will have to cross all manner of public and private lands.

Reactions: TheKrell
IIRC, that was mostly SPRINT (Southern Pacific Railroad INTerconnect).

Railroads don't get you into the hills all that well. They're great for connecting major cities but once you get off the main lines, they're typically not all that useful. The kinds of lines we're talking about will have to cross all manner of public and private lands.
5g main goal is replacing landlines..will it happen in the rural areas?..that might be 6g when they use the old 3g frequencies for better coverage...lots of rural areas have a fiber backbone

5g may be just the ticket for last mile... or maybe not. Using Puerto Rico as a test platform doesn't tell anyone much of anything useful.

Lots more rural areas don't have fiber backbone and that's what they are supposed to be trying to reach.

Reactions: TheKrell
5g may be just the ticket for last mile... or maybe not. Using Puerto Rico as a test platform doesn't tell anyone much of anything useful.

Lots more rural areas don't have fiber backbone and that's what they are supposed to be trying to reach.
they are using Boston for a trial plarform

they are using Boston for a trial plarform
Who are "they"?

In what way does Boston represent an area that is un-served?

I see where SPRINT was waiting to turn up in "areas of" Atlanta, DFW, Houston and KC while T-Mobile was looking for Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and New York by last Friday. Supposedly VZ turned up Denver last Thursday. No mention of Boston anywhere.

The only area that looked particularly off the beaten path (and it isn't at all) was Anchorage by some regional carrier and Ericsson in 2020.

Many of the "big city" services will apparently be using millimeter wavelengths with a coverage of less than one square mile -- not the frequencies likely to be used by rural users.

Puerto Rico is much more representative of what rural users are going to need than any of these other major metropolitan areas.

Who are "they"?

In what way does Boston represent an area that is un-served?

I see where SPRINT was waiting to turn up in "areas of" Atlanta, DFW, Houston and KC while T-Mobile was looking for Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and New York by last Friday. Supposedly VZ turned up Denver last Thursday. No mention of Boston anywhere.

The only area that looked particularly off the beaten path (and it isn't at all) was Anchorage by some regional carrier and Ericsson in 2020.

Many of the "big city" services will apparently be using millimeter wavelengths with a coverage of less than one square mile -- not the frequencies likely to be used by rural users.

Puerto Rico is much more representative of what rural users are going to need than any of these other major metropolitan areas.
its not about unserved..its about replacing old corroded copper..rural america will have to wait in line

5g, in its present form , has frequencies that wont travel long distances...thats why they are mounting transmitters on telco poles...according to your wealth of knowledge..there is no fiber in rural areas..so using that logic..rural areas are SOL for 5g...no sense talking about it
Rural America is the topic of this thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

“5G” has nothing to do with frequencies. Much of it is in mm wave, but T-Mobile plans to deploy it in their 600 band, and in the 2.5 if their merger with Sprint is approved.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: ncted
5g, in its present form , has frequencies that wont travel long distances...thats why they are mounting transmitters on telco poles...according to your wealth of knowledge..there is no fiber in rural areas..so using that logic..rural areas are SOL for 5g...no sense talking about it
Yet you go on and on about what's happening in the urban areas as if it was on topic.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
“5G” has nothing to do with frequencies.
If something is developed in a form that can't be practically used for the task at hand, what's the point?
Much of it is in mm wave, but T-Mobile plans to deploy it in their 600 band, and in the 2.5 if their merger with Sprint is approved.
Plans and promises are relatively cheap (and key to any successful gubmint hoodwinking).

Remember when NBC and Comcast promised to open up Comcast content to other carriers at reasonable prices to get their merger approved? T-Mobile has been in merger mode for quite a few years now so they have the act down pat.

The increased spectrum utilization efficiency is incentive to do it. But not quickly.

Yes it does...assigned frequency bands dont travel through walls very well...thats why they need to be close...i.e.telephone polls with an antenna on roof
“5G” has nothing to do with frequencies. Much of it is in mm wave, but T-Mobile plans to deploy it in their 600 band, and in the 2.5 if their merger with Sprint is approved.

Tmobile is running 10 gig pipes to all their cell sites supporting 5g....but they are mostly urban sites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)