Force recording in HD vs SD?

swrdfghtr

Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
So, back in the day, Dish HD channels had a different channel number than their SD counterparts.

Now, 122 is Sci-Fi - both SD and HD. If I watch it on TV1, I get HD. If I watch on TV2, I get SD. Usually.

But it seems anything I record from that channel gets recorded in SD - even through tuner 1 is definitely doing the recording. I'm using a ViP622, BTW.

Is there any way to ensure recordings are done in HD, when there's an HD version of the channel available?

You decide this when you set the Timer... if you set the timer using the Program Guide, and pick the HD version of the channel, it will record the HD version.... regardless of what tuner it records on.

Are you sure you didn't just pick the SD version when you set your timers? It's easy to do on accident.... I just cleaned out my whole DVR because my wife was recording all her chick crap in HD and it was full in a week.

So, back in the day, Dish HD channels had a different channel number than their SD counterparts.

Now, 122 is Sci-Fi - both SD and HD. If I watch it on TV1, I get HD. If I watch on TV2, I get SD. Usually.

But it seems anything I record from that channel gets recorded in SD - even through tuner 1 is definitely doing the recording. I'm using a ViP622, BTW.

Is there any way to ensure recordings are done in HD, when there's an HD version of the channel available?

Swrdghtr,

I think you are confusing the two Separate TV (#1, and #2) outputs with the actual satellite tuners used by each of these outputs.

Dish does mirror the standard definition Channel # for the HD version of that network, IE SciFi will show as 122 (one each HD and SD as well as a unique HD channel assignment of 9432). If you wish to record the HD version of that Network regardless of which Satellite Tuner used it will be recorded in HD if and only if you select that Channels Mirrored HD Channel Assignment or its Unique HD channel assignment. If you use Favorite lists either add the HD version to your channel list and or use the HD only, or ALL channel list and be sure to record the HD version and not the SD version of said channel. All Timers you set in advance that are not using the HD version will have to be deleted and reset.

With that said no Dish Receiver can output HD on the TV#2 outputs. Any HD content played back or viewed Live on the TV#2 output will be downconverted to Standard Definition.

If you wish to record HD content be sure to set a tuner (either ONE or TWO) to fire on the HD version of that channels network.

John

Hmm. I'll have to check. It's easy not to mess up in the Guide with the big "HD" logo, but I usually record from keyword searches and it's harder to tell what's what. I wish they'd just use different channel numbers for the HD ones.

Hmm. I'll have to check. It's easy not to mess up in the Guide with the big "HD" logo, but I usually record from keyword searches and it's harder to tell what's what. I wish they'd just use different channel numbers for the HD ones.

I think the idea was to prevent Calls to the Call Center because "I CANTS FIND MA NASCAR!!!"

Swrddfghtr,

In my previous post I mentioned favorites lists. I suggest you make one or more and eliminate the SD versions of all the Channels that have an HD version. This will stop you recording the SD versions of channels.

Secondly, the HD channels do have unique Channel assignments as I already mentioned. The Unique Channel #'s for the HD channels start at 9419.

Lastly if you use the search option you can always READ the screen information, Banner Bar, and Program Description as ALL these WILL tell you which channel you are choosing to record as well as if it is SD or HD.

John

Also, if you use the DishPass option, you can set the preference for that timer to record the HD channel only (as well as SD only or either). I use this option for movies mostly because I want to record the next instance, but only if it airs on the HD channel, not one of the SD premium move channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)