Forget 1Gbps – the cable industry says you don’t even need 25Mbps

Went from 18 meg uverse to 105 meg Comcast at home to 150 meg comcast at the office.

A little faster connection times buffering streaming video, but not really that big of a difference to say I need 1 gig.

Honestly the only reason why I got extreme 105 and extreme 150 is the 20-25 meg upload speeds

Most people can survive on 10-15 MB depending on how many devices are being used. The upload speeds are usually lacking but works for most people.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just like with the number of satellite / cable channels that nobody watches, quality is sometimes better than quantity, to an extent.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/forget-1gbps-cable-industry-says-don-t-even-132031048.html

Different article,same theme as the ATT/Verizon one(to justify keeping DSL slow),only this time courtesy of your local cable ISP

RUBBISH.... I'm sick of the whole cable internet industry wallowing in yesteryear. We have about the worst value in broadband in the world. The cost/bandwidth is a rip off compared to a great many places outside the US.

I'll take every bit of speed I can get, if I can get it.

Reactions: DS0816
Until 4K hits and you have 4 streams going at the house then you will need 100Mbps just for video.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/forget-1gbps-cable-industry-says-don-t-even-132031048.html

Different article,same theme as the ATT/Verizon one(to justify keeping DSL slow),only this time courtesy of your local cable ISP

This is hogwash courtesy of your local ISPs. Set top boxes are going the way of the dodo bird. Streaming is the future. Directv has plans in the works coming approximately in 2018 streaming services for TV for those who have high speed broadband. Which means at least 25mbps download. The cable companies would like you to think that you don't need the higher speeds but with the advent of more streaming devices available now more than in years past bandwidth is where the money is gonna be. Overseas in Europe and Asia they pay half of we pay for twice the speed. The greedy cable companies want to squeeze every red cent out of consumers here. What a joke.

SIG

I would expect directv's and dish' s bread and butter to be rural. And rural folks (like me) do not have access to broadband.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but no, at this point in time, almost no one needs a 1Gb connection. Especially the average home user.

At work, I manage approximately 125 workstations, plus 10 servers and a host of other devices on a 10Mb symmetrical dedicated fiber circuit provided by Time Warner Cable. Our Exchange, FTP, VPN and SSL VPN all are hosted on this connection, plus all of our users. A lot of our network traffic is internal, but we do communicate with our corporate headquarter in Europe via a site to site VPN. A lot of files transferred are larger DWG, DXF, IPT and IAM files. Plus we have a few users who stream Pandora or Spotify and I’ll occasionally stream some How To videos on YouTube. Our network has never been brought to it’s knees in the few years I’ve been here, and very rarely do I hear any complaints about speed.

While we don’t have a half a dozen instances of streaming hi def Netflix going, we do have a lot of people and devices using the connection simultaneously thoughout the business day, and in the early morning hours when our European counterparts are on our network when they start their day.

TWC recently gave residential users another overprovisioned bump in speed. My 50 x 5 connection, is now more like 62 x 6, and I have trouble maxing that out. When 320Mb+ becomes available here I will be beside myself.

Reactions: fred555
Today the average home will never even come close to maxing out 1Gbps.
I think you would have to try very hard to anyway.
Currently I think its just a way to separate the "I have more bandwidth than you" crowd from their money.
I have a network with 700 users, servers etc.. and symmetrical 50Mbps with some burst capability and it is just fine.

New bandwidth hungry technologies in few years, then maybe.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but no, at this point in time, almost no one needs a 1Gb connection. Especially the average home user.

At work, I manage approximately 125 workstations, plus 10 servers and a host of other devices on a 10Mb symmetrical dedicated fiber circuit provided by Time Warner Cable. Our Exchange, FTP, VPN and SSL VPN all are hosted on this connection, plus all of our users. A lot of our network traffic is internal, but we do communicate with our corporate headquarter in Europe via a site to site VPN. A lot of files transferred are larger DWG, DXF, IPT and IAM files. Plus we have a few users who stream Pandora or Spotify and I’ll occasionally stream some How To videos on YouTube. Our network has never been brought to it’s knees in the few years I’ve been here, and very rarely do I hear any complaints about speed.

While we don’t have a half a dozen instances of streaming hi def Netflix going, we do have a lot of people and devices using the connection simultaneously thoughout the business day, and in the early morning hours when our European counterparts are on our network when they start their day.

TWC recently gave residential users another overprovisioned bump in speed. My 50 x 5 connection, is now more like 62 x 6, and I have trouble maxing that out. When 320Mb+ becomes available here I will be beside myself.

I had a 10x10 fiber from Comcast at the office. The reason why it works so well is because you have a big pipe such as a fire hydrant but with a small faucet on the end.

Where as if you take a 10x10 DSL connection and it's like being on the end of a 100 foot garden hose.

I couldn't afford the $1040 per month and ended up going to a 150x25 cable modem connection for $199

I miss the fiber, but not the price.

I don't NEED more than the 60Mbps connection I currently have but I'll take all the bandwidth I can get. I regularly download 50GB (or more) video games and it can take hours on my current connection. That is the fastest I can get for now but if my township comes through with their proposed 1Gbps plan I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

I realize this is a first world problem but I would gladly take faster internet speeds.

I had a 10x10 fiber from Comcast at the office. The reason why it works so well is because you have a big pipe such as a fire hydrant but with a small faucet on the end.

Where as if you take a 10x10 DSL connection and it's like being on the end of a 100 foot garden hose.

I couldn't afford the $1040 per month and ended up going to a 150x25 cable modem connection for $199

I miss the fiber, but not the price.

Yeah it’s expensive, we were paying $625 for 5Mb symmetrical w/4 static IPs. That’s insane. I almost fell over when I first saw that. Earlier this year we added voice and things became much more reasonable.

I don’t have the exact numbers since I was only involved in the preliminary process with getting quotes, not the contract negotiations but the last versions of the quotes I received from TWCBC made me a little happier. When we switched our phone service over from a PRI with Verizon to a PRI from TWC and upgraded to 10Mb internet. With the bundling of data and voice for 10 Mb fiber with 4 static IPs and PRI over fiber with I think 350 DIDs, 5 toll free numbers and 10,000 international long distance minutes the price came to $1250 total for both services. With the bundled price, the line item price for the internet dropped to around $375. Twice the speed for about half the cost.

We also have a 7 x 1 business class DOCSIS connection for guest/visitor access and testing purposes. Along with 2 DOCSIS powered phone lines for our alarm panel. Between the two fiber services and the two copper services we pay roughly $1500 bucks a month to TWC, which is slightly less than what our old Verizon PRI cost alone.

I just read that Comcast is offering 2 Gbps to residential users in lucky markets for "only" $299/mo. After a $1,000 installation and 6-8 weeks, too!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/comcast-fiber-internet,29579.html

Time to trade-in that Netgear router for the Cisco 10 Gb Layer 3 switch.

Comcast is an industry leader and innovator but constantly gets crap from morons in the comment sections of stories on the internet and on internet forums.

Verizon, a company people seem to love and people are begging for their Fios service is constantly praised.

Comcast 2Gb $300, Verizon 500Mb $275. $25 more, 4 times the speed. But Comcast will always be the bad guy, because they're Comcast.

Reactions: Foxbat
It's been a constant battle with Verizon to get them to maintain the lines here for DSL. We were up to 3.3Mbps over the winter but are down to 1.5Mbps now. We'd be happy to get only 25Mbps. :rolleyes:

I would not sign up with Comcast in our area. One of the reasons I signed up for Dish was due to the three strikes rule. They were told that they did not need to do anything inside our house as we were moving in right after the previous owner had left. Not only did they come in to replace the RG6 I was using to hook up my TV, but they damaged the top of the cabinet my Father-in-Law had made for us. It didn't take long for the next two strikes and by June of 1996 we had cut the cable.

Unfortunately, our choices for Broadband are Comcast, AT&T U-verse, and cellular. I'm with U-verse currently for phone and Internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts