Format button not working on SD channels on my Hopper with Sling and Joey

kenvols

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
The format button will work on HD channels but will not on SD channels such as Espn news and ESPU; your stuck with a small screen in the center with a black background. The screen stays on normal on the hopper w/sling. On my Joey it stays on Zoom.

Will this update be coming this year? I just changed from a regular hopper to one with sling and this is a problem. On the standard Hopper you could change the format on SD channels and it would stick for that channel. The crazy thing here is if you tune in an SD channel and press format a couple of times and then go to a HD channel it will have changed the format there. Also something that didn't happen on the older Hopper.

I watch so little SD and when I do, I just leave it as is. So, when I checked the format button, my HWS does the same os the OP. When you go back to an HD channel, you have to use the button to get back to the Normal view.

Re: Format

Format is non-functional on Dish SD channels. I can tune to an OTA subchannel and make the format cycle to what I want on the subscription SD channel, then return to watch in the chosen AR.

Please fix soon. Flipping between SD letterboxed and 4x3 programming is a pain...

+1…same issue here. Just upgraded from two original Hoppers to two HWSs and never had this issue with the old Hoppers. Sigh. At least it's a known problem.

Is this fixed yet? I got somebody watching ABC family in SD since no HD and there not happy about the black bars.

Lots of cool stuff in this update, including the HDMI-CEC (automatically turns TV on and to the proper input), the subscription VOD on a channel adjacent to the subscription channel, and yes, fixing that SD format issue.

Can you turn off the VOD channel listings in the guide? I hope so because everybody with DishNet will immediately go over their usage limits if they start using the VOD regularly. :)

I'm sure it would be no different than them pressing the On Demand button. If you have a limit don't use VOD or monitor it closely enough to not go over.

I heartily disagree. I deal with customers every day and believe me this is gonna be a huge problem, besides cluttering up the guide with a bunch of stuff they can't even use.

Please, make it so you can turn off the VOD listings like you can the SD listings. That is a clean solution that will make everybody happy.