Format of new HD channels

Speed: 1280x720p
FX: 1280x720p
FTV: 1920x1080i (yes, 1920, not 1440)
Logo: 1280x720p

So FTV is supposed to be better because the numbers are higher? Its the same number of lines being displayed, just at different times so your eyes think there are more of them. Unless it is "P" it means no diffrence.

So FTV is supposed to be better because the numbers are higher? Its the same number of lines being displayed, just at different times so your eyes think there are more of them. Unless it is "P" it means no diffrence.

Simply not true, todays TVs convert everything to "P" so 1080i looks identical to 1080p but at half the frame rate. Only when there is motion can you tell the difference. I always prefer a higher "I" resolution over a lower "P" resolution for my big screen sets.

My experience has been that 720p and 1080i can both look outstanding, as long as the signal is not over-compressed and/or poorly processed. Even on my 108" screen with my 720p projector I never feel that the picture is lacking detail as long as it's a good feed.

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it. First of all, filtering at the source, and bitrate (compression) matter more than signal format, given the low bitrates that Dish is using for their nation HD channels.

You also have to consider the original format of the content, and whether reverse pulldown works properly at the receiver. For instance, given sufficient bandwidth, 1080i should always be superior to 720p for 24fps film sources, as the advantage in temporal resolution of 60p gains you nothing, and you can simply compare resolution (assuming sufficient bitrate to actually resolve it).

FTV macroblocks like crazy for me.
I'm seeing occasional "worse than macroblocks" on FTV. The picture sometimes pretty much disappears and is replaced with a screen full of tall rectangles (not anything like a macroblock).

FTV is a great example of extreme bit starved encoding and it looks like they bought their MPEG4 encoders off E-bay.

FTV is a great example of extreme bit starved encoding and it looks like they bought their MPEG4 encoders off E-bay.

I took a quick look at FTV--the picture is truly bad. Must be some kind of programming/processing error. The other new channels seemed ok, and I thought Speed HD was very good. Dish should have the problem on FTV corrected by tomorrow.

Fitzie

Fine here

I see no macroblock on FTV on my system. Are you getting it off 129 or 61.5? I'm getting it off 129 w/ a signal level in the upper 60's(.9 meter dish).

I'm seeing occasional "worse than macroblocks" on FTV. The picture sometimes pretty much disappears and is replaced with a screen full of tall rectangles (not anything like a macroblock).

It looks like signal loss to me, rather than compression artifacts, which is what macroblocking is.