Former HEAT player makes serious homophobic comments...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I wasn't sure about whether I should have put this subject on the PIT or here, but the reaction here in Miami is HUGE. 1st of all, he is a BIG time celebrity down here and extremely liked...but this just came out of left field.

Hardaway makes anti-gay comments on radio

Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway, known for his candor, said on a radio show Wednesday that he would not want a gay player on his team, would ask for him to be traded, and went so far as to say: ``You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States.''

Hardaway was a guest with host/Herald columnist Dan Le Batard on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket, and at the end of the interview, Le Batard asked Hardaway how he would deal with a gay player, in light of last week's disclosure by retired NBA center John Amaechi that he is gay.

''First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team,'' Hardaway replied. ``And second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there's a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don't want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone.''

Asked what he would do if he had a gay teammate, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be traded or to be bought out of his contract.

''Something has to give,'' he said. ``And I think the majority of players would ask for him to be traded or they would want to be traded. Or buy him out of his contract and just let him go. Something has to give. If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that are upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.''

Hardaway is the first NBA player -- current or former -- to make anti-gay statements since Amaechi's news came out. In fact, most of the players and coaches quoted last week, including Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, were supportive of Amaechi and said they would not be bothered by a gay teammate.

What if the gay player were a great player, Hardaway was asked.

''If he were that great something would still have to give,'' he said. ``People would feel uncomfortable with that. If you're not gay, nobody in that locker room would feel comfortable with that person on your team.''

Amaechi probably will not be surprised when he reads Hardaway's comments. He said in a phone interview Tuesday he believes there is still a lot of homophobia in society and in professional sports locker rooms.

''We are much further behind than I'd like,'' Amaechi said. ``People in America and England [where Amaechi grew up] would like to think racism is over, sexism is over, and homophobia is over, but it's not. My coming out will show that gay people don't all look like Jack from Will and Grace. Some of us are big, athletic men, and that should be OK.''

Amaechi said he had not heard from a single former teammate or NBA player, that he had only heard from former coach Doc Rivers. He challenged straight athletes ''who feel able'' to stand up for gay rights.

''I would like professional male athletes to be active supporters, and that doesn't mean putting a rainbow decal on their car,'' he said. ``It means letting other guys in the locker room know that it's not OK to make gay jokes, that it's hurtful, and that it's not OK to be homophobic.

``But it's hard to get straight guys to step up. When men stood by women during the suffrage movement, they were called progressive and bold. When whites stood by blacks, they were heroes. But a straight guy standing up for a gay guy faces discrimination, and that's a big part of the battle we're fighting.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16700045.htm

As long as he has been gone I sure would not associate ANY team name or the league with his crap. At least he openly admits he is a homophobe and not two-faced about it, which to me is WORSE. Not that either is a good thing.

Last edited:
I can deal with not agreeing with the lifestyle...those are his feelings and opinions.....but to flatly just say that "I hate gay people" and "they don't belong in the United States or this country" ....WOW.....unfortunately for him, he is has now put himself in the same group as Al Campanis and Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder.....and that is too bad because through my old midwest media contacts, I met Timmy Hardway and the guy is a REALLY nice guy....what set him off to go this tirade really has shocked me and a TON of people down here in Miami.....:(

Not to get this on a religious tangent but he should have said he hated the sin and not the sinner in my opinion and it probably wouldn't have been so bad.

Interesting that Hardaway made those comments, he played for the Warriors for so many years and we know San Francisco is known for the gay community. He never complained when he was here, that's for sure.

Not to get this on a religious tangent but he should have said he hated the sin and not the sinner in my opinion and it probably wouldn't have been so bad.

And to tell you truth....though PERSONALLY...as in JUST ME...I call that a copout...but again, that is me. But maybe the issue isn't so much that Hardaway is homophobic as much his delivery of the message. Either way, Dan LeBatard, the man who interview Hardaway, had a great article this morning in the Miami Herald:

Hardaway comments honest but hate-filledBy DAN LE BATARD
dlebatard@MiamiHerald.com

How do you deal with a gay teammate?

''First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team,'' former Miami Heat star Tim Hardaway said Wednesday. ``Second of all, if he was on my team, I'd really distance myself from him. I don't think he should be in the locker room when we are in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that. . . . I'd ask for him to get traded. Something has to give. The majority of the players would ask for him to be traded, or they would want to get traded. Or just buy him out of his contract and let him go.''

But, Tim, you realize that's bigotry and homophobia?

''I hate gay people,'' Hardaway said in an interview on 790 The Ticket. ``I let it be known. I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. I don't like it. There shouldn't be a world for that or [a place] in the United States for it. I don't like it.''

There it is, ignorance and hatred without a filter, coming from one of the most popular players in Heat history. And Hardaway is hardly alone, even though he is the first to voice it so plainly since former player John Amaechi last week became the first former NBA player to come out of the closet.

Amaechi's response?

''I'm actually tempted to laugh,'' Amaechi said Wednesday. ``Finally, someone who is honest. It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest. And it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far.''

SHOCKING WORDS

You've heard the fuzzy language. LeBron James said he'd have trouble trusting a gay teammate. Wide receiver Andre Johnson said he wouldn't want to share a shower with a gay teammate. Philadelphia 76er Shavlik Randolph said he'd be fine as long as said player ''didn't bring your gayness on me.'' Hardaway, always blunt, turned mere discomfort into transparent hate, talking in a way that was shocking to hear. And now you know why Amaechi is the first in the history of his sport -- that's a lot of players, folks -- ever to announce he is gay.

Amaechi is grateful for Hardaway's words, believe it or not. It gets the conversation going, and gets ugly things out in the light. Publicists have been pushing their athletes away from this uncomfortable question, trying to avoid the kind of trouble Hardaway's words cause. The Heat franchise is going to have to apologize for him today, and that's just the start. If he were still on television, he'd be fired.

Amaechi is the smartest athlete I've ever met in two decades in this business. He is uniquely qualified to be an eloquent spokesman for his cause. But he is terrified and exhausted while fighting it during his book tour at least in part because hatred is scary, heavy and awfully unpredictable.

And although Hardaway doesn't speak for everybody, neither does Charles Barkley when he says this is simply a media issue.

''Hey, nobody cares John Amaechi is gay,'' Barkley says. ``I just find it humorous and amazing people think we care if someone is gay or not. It is always fun to hear these reporters say how we'd treat them in the locker room. Trust me, we'd treat reporters a lot worse than we treat a gay guy.''

WHAT IF?

But what would it be like? There's a reason no active player in a male team sport has ever come out. There's a reason that the one who does while active would cross the last uncrossed barrier in sports and become a modern-day Jackie Robinson. Barkley sounds naive.

''You don't think we've all played with gay guys?'' Barkley said. ``Of course we have. It has never been an issue. America, the more I live in it, the more I realize how full of it we are. If we're not bombing the wrong country, we're not fixing hurricane-relief areas. America is homophobic. It's so easy for [reporters] to say the other jocks won't like it. America discriminates against gay people, but we've all played with gay people.''

There's no way to know how an entire macho league populated by different personalities would react to an outed gay athlete. There have been Internet rumors for months now that a current NBA player has already come out privately to his family. The reaction if he is outed? It will be somewhere between Hardaway's hate, Barkley's indifference and Mavs owner Mark Cuban's contention that the first gay NBA player will be a rich, pioneering hero. But Hardaway's words give voice to at least one person's truth:

The league isn't quite ready for this.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16700045.htm

if i read one more person claim fear that he or she is going to be sexually recruited by a gay or lesbian, i will personally punch them in the mouth.

i was in the military for almost 11 years active duty. not one day of it, did i try to recruit. i kept that part of me to myself and dated civilians. yes, i wish i could have been more open. my stress would have been greatly reduced.

Interesting that Hardaway made those comments, he played for the Warriors for so many years and we know San Francisco is known for the gay community. He never complained when he was here, that's for sure.

Miami also has a very large, active gay community...that is why everyone is shocked by the comments. He is VERY WELL liked.....at least he was......:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)