Fortec Star MercuryII/Dynamic V.s Conaxsat Mini

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyoung1982

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Which of these two would you recommend? They both have about the same features. both have blind scan, the Merc2/dynamic stores 1000 channels more than the mini but the mini has 16megs more memory than the merc2/dynamic does, both do C band and KU band. I like the looks of the mini better but which one do you all recommend?

I would do a bit of research. find out in any of hte boxes you are considering has 3rd party hack software.

When scratch and boxes off your list that do have hack software available.

merc2

Don't have a Conaxsat to compare to either, but I did buy a Mercury 2 just to tinker with. It does have a very good blind-scan, it's customizeable, in that you can select the number of 'steps' to scan with, whether or not you want a normal, fast or detailed scan, etc. And it does find most feeds, down to a lower symbol rate than most others, and it doesn't lock up when it hits a 4.2.2 or HD feed when blind-scanning. That alone makes it worth the money. The manner of its scanning is a bit annoying, as it first lists transponders it finds, then goes back and scans them for the channels. But it's not a slow receiver, and the video is excellent, AC-3 sound works like its supposed to.

I would do a bit of research. find out in any of hte boxes you are considering has 3rd party hack software.

When scratch and boxes off your list that do have hack software available.

uhm..why would I want to have this 3rd party hack software? I am not interested in hacking the receiver...just knowing which one of the two is better for a beginner user.

Don't have a Conaxsat to compare to either, but I did buy a Mercury 2 just to tinker with. It does have a very good blind-scan, it's customizeable, in that you can select the number of 'steps' to scan with, whether or not you want a normal, fast or detailed scan, etc. And it does find most feeds, down to a lower symbol rate than most others, and it doesn't lock up when it hits a 4.2.2 or HD feed when blind-scanning. That alone makes it worth the money. The manner of its scanning is a bit annoying, as it first lists transponders it finds, then goes back and scans them for the channels. But it's not a slow receiver, and the video is excellent, AC-3 sound works like its supposed to.

yeah everyone that has reviewed the mercury2 basically says the same thing you did. but so far I have not found any reviews for the Conaxsat Mini yet. oh well...will probably end up getting a Mercury2/Dynamic (everyone's webpage that sells both shows them as identical) anyway.

uhm..why would I want to have this 3rd party hack software? I am not interested in hacking the receiver...just knowing which one of the two is better for a beginner user.
The point was if the box is highly supported by the hackers, it likely will not be supported for true FTA, so the advice was to take it OFF your list.

I would ask Sadoun or SatelliteAV directly which of the 2 boxes they would recommend. Brian at SatAV has most of the boxes in his test area and has run extensive testing on most of them.

Conaxsat has discontinued the Mini model. It is being replaced by a model that we have assisted in development, the Nano.

The Fortec Star Mercury II / Dynamic is superior in the adjustable scan parameters.

Both receivers have strong tuners.

The Conaxsat Mini has PVR/DVR capabilities.

Just to give an another opinion, I think that the Mercury is a terrible receiver. It has bugs that Fortec has been told about, and they have not addressed them after a year and a half, so you'd have to assume that they will never be fixed.

The only good thing about the Mercury is that it has very good video.

But the bugs were so significant that I basically took mine apart and took the power supply out of it to use in another receiver (although I have since put it back together since it looks like my Fortec Ultra is giving signs of giving up the ghost).

If you get an Ultra, forget about using DiseqC-1.2, unless you set up your sats once and never delete a satellite. If you delete a sat, it scrambles all the positions. You can't select what DiseqC-1.2 satellite number corresponds to what satellite. It selects sat numbers in order, doesn't tell you what was selected, then scrambles them so they don't work.

Also, while some have said that AC3 works "as it should" I've found that the AC3 out of the Mercury only works with half the AC3 decoders I have, ie decoders that work fine with AC3 out of other receivers, but don't work with the Mercury.

Many besides me have observed that in some menu screens, particularly screens you use when looking for satellites and trying to tweak signal strength, the signal reading goes away. Many, besides me, have reported that signal strength jumps rapidly from zero to high values, jumping all over the place at times. I observed that while on vertical polarity, that while watching a strong channel, that the signal would randomly go away. After switching channels the signal came back. I eventually found that when on vertical polarity, that the Mercury would just randomly shut of the LNB voltage. It would only come back if I'd switch to a horizontal polarity channel, then back to the vertical channel. I found that in this state, that the receiver still worked OK if slaved to another receiver, so that the other receiver provided LNB power.

Also, people above said that the blind scan worked well. Well I don't agree with this either. I repeatedly found that the Mercury's blind scan would not find transponders that I knew were there from other receivers. Add that to the fact that when the Mercury does find transponders, it generally reports freq/SR values that are far enough off that if you try putting them into a receiver that has a tight tuner, that other receivers can't lock on the incorrect parameters that the Mercury reports. The loose tuner in the Mercury also often results in the receiver locking on the wrong transponder in cases where there are numerous low SR signals near to each other.

There are some other bugs that I can't remember off hand. And I am convinced that all of the bugs I mentioned above existed in my Mercury from the start, it's just that it took me the best part of a year to understand what the receiver was doing. Of the 9 DVB receivers I have owned, the Mercury is the worst. I stopped using it nearly a year ago after I finally got fed up with all the bugs.

Add to the problems with the firmware/hardware bugs, the receiver doesn't have a full function channel editor. Earlier Fortec receivers had a very nice channel editor, but the Mercury's doesn't allow setting important satellite parameters (I can't remember off hand which, I just remember that I had to use resort to using a binary editor at times to do things manually).

The receiver does have good video though, at least when using the component output. Much better than that from my Ultra, but no better than that from my Fortec Lifetime. My first DVB receiver was a Fortec Lifetime, and so far, it was the best. It didn't have blind scan, so I switched to an Ultra, which was a drop in quality, but the blind scan made up for it, as it was always right on. The Mercury, and another Fortec model were big disappointments. I know nothing about the "mini" receiver being compared, but I have cannot recommend the Mercury at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts