Forum Software Moving to 2.1 Shortly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As many of you know we are running Xenforo 1.5 which has been unsupported for awhile now. We have been encouraged to move to Xenforo 2.1 which is supported and I have been holding off as if we move we lose some of our features such as MultiView and Spy.

I have resisted upgrading for a long time now for these reasons among others. But now we are being forced to move due to changes by Google and other ad partners who will soon require us to issue secure cookies. In addition Google Chrome is changing the way they handle cookies and will change the way they handle cross site cookies.

I am told by one of our ad agencies that our current software does not provide the kind of cookies needed for these changes, however Xenforo 2.1 does. They are encouraging us to move ASAP. Without moving we could lose have (if not more) of our advertising revenue. We can not do that, we need the revenue to survive.

I played with Xenforo 2.0 a long time ago, but have not touched it since then. Over the next few days I will start playing with it again and getting it ready.

I noticed that MacRumors moved from 1.5 from 2.1 last week and I assume it was for the same reasons.

With the move, I need to decide if we keep our app or not. The app is no longer being updated by Tapatalk, but we are required to pay for it each month or else it will stop working. With new phone OS's coming out all the time I expect it to stop working even if we are paying for it as the API's used by the app will no longer be supported by those new os's.

The new site will be fully compatible with mobile devices and we will offer a light and dark UI for our members.

So just giving a heads up, and will let you know when I have the test site up and updated for testing. Of course when that is done I will need to do it all over again here on the live site, and thats where the real work is.

No one likes change, but there comes a time were we must change in order to survive. It will be a few weeks before we do move.

Wish me luck. :D

Do whatever you need to do with the app, I rarely use it but if the new software is fully compatible with mobile devices, why not, go for saving money :)

Let us hold a memorial service just BEFORE the app dies. Send it off in style.

I guess I’ll look at Tapatalk again.

Sigh.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don’t like change. What we have now works but if we want to have things working when Google and other ad companies make their changes then we must change too.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Tampa8
Some treadmill, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

With the move, I need to decide if we keep our app or not. The app is no longer being updated by Tapatalk, but we are required to pay for it each month or else it will stop working. With new phone OS's coming out all the time I expect it to stop working even if we are paying for it as the API's used by the app will no longer be supported by those new os's.

The app is a waste as far as I'm concerned. It's crippled and stuff is missing according to some^ who stick to it. :) Too easy to just set up a bookmark or favorite in a real browser on the mobile device. Cast my vote for save the money, Scott.

Hope to see something similar to SatelliteGuys Classic theme, it is the easiest on my eyes of the choices.

Reactions: TheKrell
My preference is for SG 2016 w/sticky navigation. Too much white for my eyes on SG Classic. And now I can't get back! Fortunately I had another SG window open to set it back to SG 2016.

Oh, now I found the style chooser with very small font near to where the easy to read buttons are on SG 2016.

Fresh Blue (Pub Members Only) is what I settled on.

Scott, I'm just curious about ad revenue. IIRC, you changed to Xenforo because ad revenue was down. And then you encrypted everything because ad revenue would go away completely if you didn't. Did ad revenue ever pop back up to where it was on the old forum software which name escapes me?

By the way, another forum I frequent is 300cforums which back in May went to xenforo from that older forum software... It sucks bit time! You can't change the style; you can't even see the difference between threads with unread messages and read messages. God I hope you can customize better than those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)