Found a 211k at Goodwill today

All unwanted and old electronics should be properly disposed of through an E-Waste Recycling drive or other authorized center.

Interestingly, Goodwill advertises themselves as a dropoff for electronics recycling. I've wondered how often folks drop off electronics for recycling (working or otherwise), and someone less than tech-savvy @ Goodwill just tosses it on the shelf for sale.

Well, Goodwill is, as they may not be allowed to sell it, and the shelves are loaded with both Dish & Direct receivers. The vast majority of them are older receivers. The 211k I found, I had never seen one at Goodwill before.
I did find a new in the box with the remote, cables, etc on e bay for $70. The seller has great marks, so this is my best bet. If a leased receiver can never be activated then again the landfill is where it will end up in time. I do like the idea of Dish offering a bounty on such receivers. But all reality, I doubt Dish wants all of those old receivers back. Like today a friend got a new VIP222 as Dish could not replace the remote on her old unit. In this case the installer did not want the receiver as it is too old. They just left it there.Again it is a leased receiver.

Most local authorized Dish retailers sell new and refurbished 211k receivers for ~$75, so if there is one near you, that might be a better option than Ebay

You can't sell a leased veh because you don't own it. You also cannot buyout the leased veh until the lessor and leasee agree. Same with anything else. It wasn't theirs to donate to goodwill.
Well that is precisely my point. The receiver is still Dish's property, so why shouldn't Dish pay a little bit to get their property back, even if the only thing they are going to do with it is recycle it. Dish created this e-waste, and it is Dish's policy that is creating the inconvenience for anyone who is looking to buy a used receiver, so Dish should help clean up their own mess. Dish shouldn't simply expect the former customer to return the receiver to them in cases where the former customer no longer has the receiver in their possession.

Because the former customer is charged for unreturned equipment, and agrees to bear sole responsibility to return it. There is no value, in any form, for the company to do that. They do offer information on e-cycling.

Because the former customer is charged for unreturned equipment, and agrees to bear sole responsibility to return it. There is no value, in any form, for the company to do that. They do offer information on e-cycling.
Well, Directv offers more than just information on e-cycling. They have a program where they will send you a box with a pre-paid shipping label, if you request it, to send old obsolete receivers back to them for e-cycling. (They also accept other small electronics.) So, Dish could at least do something like that.

However that is not what obsolete means. I have an old VHF tv that works, however it is obsolete. Was neat, cause you have to pay a quarter for 5 minutes.

I think the biggest thing to realize is that just because DTV does it, Dish doesn't need to. And just because Dish does something, Directv doesn't need to. There is no reason to "be like the other guy". There may be value with DTV doing that, such as a tax break of some sort for the recycling. I doubt it is for some altruistic reason.

I was back over to Goodwill today and found the VIP 211k gone! I wonder if someone bought it, or Dish called them and had it returned?

or Dish called them and had it returned?

You're not serious?

I can just see the conversation now.

Dish: This is Dish Network calling, we understand you have one of our leased receivers in your store that you're trying to sell.
Goodwill: Uhh, I don't think so.
Dish: Come on now, we have it on good authority that you do.
Goodwill: Really? Where did you get that information?
Dish: Ma'am, we can't reveal our sources. Suffice to say, we know what we know.
Goodwill: Was it that guy who came in the other day? Was he your snitch?
Dish: What guy is that, Ma'am?
Goodwill: You know, the one who looks like Burgess Meredith.
Dish: I'm not allowed to say, Ma'am. I must insist that you return the receiver at once.
Goodwill: How do I do that?
Dish: We'll send you a box, there'll be a nominal charge.
Goodwill: Charge? I have to pay to return your receiver to you?
Dish: Yes, Ma'am.

I have no idea. If the receiver was illegal for Goodwill to sell, they may have returned it to Dish, on their request, or at least removed it from the shelf. But all of the other receivers (older) ones are still there. I go there often and the 211K was not there a few days before. Of course someone could have bought it for $15, finding it was useless when they got it home.

Here is the deal, what do you think it costs Dish or Directv to manufacture a set top box?

Maybe $10 or $15

Then consider the fact that a 211 may have been re-deployed 2, 3 or more times over the past several years.

Do you think Dish really cares about getting their used equipment back or paying a bounty?

Black list the box and move on!

If they allowed the leased receivers to be reused then there would be a black market for them.

If they allowed an owned receiver to be reused then people would run up a bill and switch names on the account.

The receiver is better off being used as a door stop and charging the customer for an un-returned box.

I have an idea. END the practice of leasing equipment. The satcos should do what the cell companies do. They SELL the equipment to the customer or make them pay it off over time. With both,. there is a long term( 2 yr) commitment with a steep ETF.
In either case, the device belongs to the customer.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)