Found a 211k at Goodwill today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have an idea. END the practice of leasing equipment. The satcos should do what the cell companies do. They SELL the equipment to the customer or make them pay it off over time. With both,. there is a long term( 2 yr) commitment with a steep ETF.
In either case, the device belongs to the customer.

It will never work. People have gotten so used to being given the equipment for free.

We tried the purchase model several years ago. Remember when there was no DVR fee and people just paid a little more upfront for the receiver?

It didn't work. People would rather pay a DVR fee forever.

I don't lease equipment. Never have. One of the few probably, so 99% of the receivers at Goodwill are probably old leased receivers. I know a lot of people around here that have Dish and as far as I know, the only one that has installed and purchased the equipment. I did from the beginning in 1999, when there were no installers around here that worked for Dish. I installed (and still have) my 8.5 foot big dish. Compared to that, installing Dish is a piece of cake. So I had the experience with satellite dishes. I knew at the time that I liked the programming Dish had and I probably would stay with them. i have for 18 years now. But I am probably an exception with owning the receiver and all.
I was told years ago that Direct TV would not allow their receivers and equipment to be purchased. I have no idea if that is true or not. Do they?
I know both DBS satellite systems in Canada, the subscriber does purchase the equipment. I have heard the DVR receivers are expensive in the $300+ range.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't lease equipment. Never have. One of the few probably, so 99% of the receivers at Goodwill are probably old leased receivers. I know a lot of people around here that have Dish and as far as I know, the only one that has installed and purchased the equipment. I did from the beginning in 1999, when there were no installers around here that worked for Dish. I installed (and still have) my 8.5 foot big dish. Compared to that, installing Dish is a piece of cake. So I had the experience with satellite dishes. I knew at the time that I liked the programming Dish had and I probably would stay with them. i have for 18 years now. But I am probably an exception with owning the receiver and all.
I was told years ago that Direct TV would not allow their receivers and equipment to be purchased. I have no idea if that is true or not. Do they?
I know both DBS satellite systems in Canada, the subscriber does purchase the equipment. I have heard the DVR receivers are expensive in the $300+ range.

Other than the ability to turn service on and off without sending equipment back, can you share what advantages you have found to owning your own equipment? Thanks.

So poor people in Canada don't get to watch DBS? Oh wait- there's a government program to "assist" them?

or Dish called them and had it returned?
That's certainly likely. I mean, Dish monitors these boards extensively and based on your posted location (Seaside OR), they located all nearby Goodwill stores and sent their investigative team to locate and retrieve their equipment.

Reactions: Cold Irons
I think the biggest thing to realize is that just because DTV does it, Dish doesn't need to. And just because Dish does something, Directv doesn't need to. There is no reason to "be like the other guy".
That is true. Directv recently ended their Refer A Friend program. At least Dish still offers that. (for now)

Advantages for me, are several. First I love electronics and like to hook up a dish where I want to, change things around. For years I had a dish at 148, then 61.5. If I wanted to get the International programming, change out the LNBF and point the 30" one at the 118, with no issues. Also I am very picky. Most installers align the dishes in the "ballpark". I have mine aligned on the money. I do not lose the signal often in rain, where my neighbors do. Here we have a lot of wind, so I need braces on my dishes, so the LNBF's, as the LNBF clusters on the triple set are heavy and they blow around side my side in the wind. With all of the equipment and complicated wiring I have I really do not want anyone messing with it. I have an issue, I can fix it myself for free or very little and do not have to wait for an installer. Of course, I own the receiver too. But I know this is not for everyone. Buying a Dish receiver for $75 or so, etc is a lot less than I spent on my big dish & receiver back in 1985. It was $2500! I still have it and it still works,. I upgraded to digital years ago.

Advantages for me, are several. First I love electronics and like to hook up a dish where I want to, change things around. For years I had a dish at 148, then 61.5. If I wanted to get the International programming, change out the LNBF and point the 30" one at the 118, with no issues. Also I am very picky. Most installers align the dishes in the "ballpark". I have mine aligned on the money. I do not lose the signal often in rain, where my neighbors do. Here we have a lot of wind, so I need braces on my dishes, so the LNBF's, as the LNBF clusters on the triple set are heavy and they blow around side my side in the wind. With all of the equipment and complicated wiring I have I really do not want anyone messing with it. I have an issue, I can fix it myself for free or very little and do not have to wait for an installer. Of course, I own the receiver too. But I know this is not for everyone. Buying a Dish receiver for $75 or so, etc is a lot less than I spent on my big dish & receiver back in 1985. It was $2500! I still have it and it still works,. I upgraded to digital years ago.

Thanks. I fully understand the desire to set up your equipment. I do the same. In nearly 20 years of off and on service from DISH, I've never had a tech come to my location for any purpose. However, I still use leased equipment.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It will never work. People have gotten so used to being given the equipment for free.

We tried the purchase model several years ago. Remember when there was no DVR fee and people just paid a little more upfront for the receiver?

It didn't work. People would rather pay a DVR fee forever.
If the cell phone carriers can do it, so can the satcos. Offer the customer both options. Simple.

Reactions: pattykay
If the cell phone carriers can do it, so can the satcos.
This gives me an idea that can help eliminate the problem that caused this thread to be created. At the mall, there is an EcoATM where you can take used cell phones to be recycled and get paid cash. Perhaps the satcos should set up a similar system for used / obsolete satellite receivers. The more receivers that get recycled this way, the fewer that would end up at Goodwill. :)

Offer the customer both options. Simple.
As far as lease vs. own, I posted a suggestion for a lease-to-own option in another thread:
The more I think about lease vs. own, the more I am convinced that I would like to see Dish offer a compromise option. How about being able to purchase a receiver for a discounted price (50 percent off) if you agree to a one-year contract? (As opposed to paying full price to avoid any contract, or signing a two-year contract to get a free leased receiver.) That would be the best of both worlds, if you were planning to stay with Dish for one year anyway. You would, in effect, be buying out half of the normally required two-year contract by paying for half of the receiver up-front, and at the end of the year you would own the receiver. Since you only paid half-price for the receiver, you would then be much more likely to get your money back when you sell the receiver. You might even be able to make a slight profit. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts