Four New Ham Licenses in our County after testing today, and I'm one of 'em!

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Yes, after much prodding by two of my closest friends, today was testing for the first of the ham license levels (and of course upgrades) in Ionia County, MI. I studied online, took the test, and am proud to say there will be ANOTHER antenna in my life at my home, my car, and my (commercial) radio station.

And, to make it more fun, I had been pushing the organizers to do their testing as a "Ham AND EGGS" day. They actually had ham sandwiches and eggs for refreshments......and it was very well received. Corny, hokey marketing works apparently!

Can't wait to get my first radio, and dive in to the ongoing learning.

For the record, I have a horrible memory, somewhat of a fear of testing and still did well. Anyone interested in having alternative and hopefully FUN communications should look into learning online and take the test. So, in other words, if you're reading this after finding it on a search, and not yet licensed, JUMP IN!

(figured after supporting the local hams with public service interviews and similar for quite some time, it was time to become one. Video link of local radio interview posted elsewhere on this forum.)

Cheers!

Thank you! Will be much fun, I'm sure. We have "skywarn" training in March, and while not required, the two go together nicely. Especially for me, in being responsible for a commercial station. Will help to keep me on top of local emergencies. And, finding good radio deals won't hurt my feelings, either.

I look forward to future testing and enjoying this very much. (and I'm one who basically HATES testing of any kind)....and I'm excited about finding my first radio. Portable to start, to use in multiple locations.

I assume you passed your tech license or did you go for general too?

What bands do you plan to operate on? Handhelds are nice EXCEPT in rural area you'll find that 5 watts and a rubber duck antenna just does'nt cut it.

as of yet, "pending".....til final paperwork hits FCC, but....will change after issue to a vanity call, related to my "real" job.......thanks for the note!

I assume you passed your tech license or did you go for general too?

What bands do you plan to operate on? Handhelds are nice EXCEPT in rural area you'll find that 5 watts and a rubber duck antenna just does'nt cut it.

Tech first. Going to go for more. We're semi-rural, and I'm chatting with our local people learning about the repeaters available in our area. The two people who wanted me to join the "ranks" will likely chime in here. They've been told of this forum. Hand-held will be my start, (with external antennas utilized) because of convenience. Being a fulltime RV'er, space is a comsideration.

One nice thing called to my attention today was that my intended hand-held for ham use is also approved for "commercial" use, which will work with our commercial station's VHF license. That's kind of cool, considering I never had utilized this and it could come in handy to use the "commercial" frequency during remotes for one-way back to the station! Eliminates need of using cellphone, and allows "instant" remotes if a board op is in the station. Didn't know the hand-helds covered this application too! That part should work fine within our city limits.

Ahh you must be referring to the Wouxun handhelds. Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver Yup I see they are Part 90 certified so your good to go on commercial bands as well. This price is right although most owners are recommending getting the programming cable and software much easier to program.

Enjoy BTW I hear you should be getting your new ticket in about 2-3 weeks if that. Keep in mind you can operate as soon your call is posted in the FCC database or you can check on QRZ.COM Callsign Database just go to the advanced search and search under your name if its there get on and have fun. Don't forget to go to Introducing EchoLink and get the software and register your call as soon as you get it so you can access other repeaters around the via echolink.

Bob N1WBD

Tech first. Going to go for more. We're semi-rural, and I'm chatting with our local people learning about the repeaters available in our area. The two people who wanted me to join the "ranks" will likely chime in here. They've been told of this forum. Hand-held will be my start, (with external antennas utilized) because of convenience. Being a fulltime RV'er, space is a comsideration.

One nice thing called to my attention today was that my intended hand-held for ham use is also approved for "commercial" use, which will work with our commercial station's VHF license. That's kind of cool, considering I never had utilized this and it could come in handy to use the "commercial" frequency during remotes for one-way back to the station! Eliminates need of using cellphone, and allows "instant" remotes if a board op is in the station. Didn't know the hand-helds covered this application too! That part should work fine within our city limits.

Don't forget to go to Introducing EchoLink and get the software and register your call as soon as you get it so you can access other repeaters around the via echolink.73 Bob N1WBD

Echolink is very cool.

I have been thinking about a setup with asterisk and linking it to echolink.

Ahh you must be referring to the Wouxun handhelds. Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver Yup I see they are Part 90 certified so your good to go on commercial bands as well. This price is right although most owners are recommending getting the programming cable and software much easier to program.

That is exactly what I'm referring-to. Two people at the testing had these with them, and I inquired if it was an okay radio for "local" to start-with. I got a resounding "yes' on that, and was surprised when they dialed-in my AM station's FM translator. I can see by sheer convenience that this is a good starting radio for me, and can be attached to other antennas for different circumstances.

I hope the local ham radio group that intrigued me into testing will help chime in on this forum now and then! And, yes, we really DID have "ham (in a day) and eggs at this testing. Ham Sandwiches and Eggs served. Fun marketing for any Ham group.

Let us know what your new call is when you get.

Yes, after much prodding by two of my closest friends, today was testing for the first of the ham license levels (and of course upgrades) in Ionia County, MI. I studied online, took the test, and am proud to say there will be ANOTHER antenna in my life at my home, my car, and my (commercial) radio station.

And, to make it more fun, I had been pushing the organizers to do their testing as a "Ham AND EGGS" day. They actually had ham sandwiches and eggs for refreshments......and it was very well received. Corny, hokey marketing works apparently!

Can't wait to get my first radio, and dive in to the ongoing learning.

For the record, I have a horrible memory, somewhat of a fear of testing and still did well. Anyone interested in having alternative and hopefully FUN communications should look into learning online and take the test. So, in other words, if you're reading this after finding it on a search, and not yet licensed, JUMP IN!

(figured after supporting the local hams with public service interviews and similar for quite some time, it was time to become one. Video link of local radio interview posted elsewhere on this forum.)

Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)