Fox developing U.S. version of 'Torchwood'

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Original producing team on board to adapt U.K. series

By James Hibberd
Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series "Torchwood."

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.
Source & More: thrfeed.com

Last edited:
Fox will probably pay for a nice production, but then move it around constantly on their schedule and try to kill it as fast as possible.

I don't understand this at all. We've already seen the British (OK, Welsh) version, what do we need a new version for?

I don't understand this at all. We've already seen the British (OK, Welsh) version, what do we need a new version for?

Torchwood was tied to the Dr. Who show and I don't see that being the same in the U.S.A. . Besides Torchwood was a secret agency in Britian , how would that work in America? Anyway it would most likely be canceled just like all the other British imported shows . Remember "Life on Mars?"

As any true Doctor Who fan knows, the UK, specifically Cardiff, is the centre of the universe, or at least the centre of all time/space anomalies that affect the universe. Why would the silly Americans need Torchwood, no aliens would be interested in that side of the planet.

Depends on how they do it.

A remake would probably suck, but a continuation (ie series 4 and beyond is in America) would be okay.
Not much backstory would be needed, as Jack and Gwen were the only ones left, and Gwen could easily be dropped with Jack getting a new American team.

If fox does it, here's how I think it will go....

Bunch of nobodies audition, Jack and Gwen and random characters from Doctor Who interview them.
Then only the super crazy or really obese ones get seleted and put through a sci-fi bootcamp reality show and at the end the winners have to see how well they dance.
Ryan Seacrest will be Jacks love interest.

Then fox will move the show to another night and Joss Whedon will be brought on and fox will cancel it 3 weeks later.

Fox already tried this with Doctor Who -The Movie, in 1996. Then they wouldn't commit to the series, even before the movie came out. Killed it right there.. Average American's at the time just didn't understand it, and the ratings tanked. However, it did really well in Britain, ratings wise..

Personally, I liked the movie, and Doctor Who #8 [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/"]Doctor Who (1996) (TV)@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU1NDMxOTU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU0NjQyMQ@@._V1._SX88_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTU1NDMxOTU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU0NjQyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX88@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]

With Fox involved again, I expect this will turn out just the same, so I'll bet we'll get a "Torchwood - The Movie".

Then, we'll probably have Shatner whine for a couple years, about how they never asked him to appear in it. :D:D Ok, maybe not! I don't see how he'd have time anyway, being as he's in every other tv show and commercial that's been produced in the last 10 years!!! :p:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts