Fox discusses deal with Conan O'Brien

I don't really see how you can come up with that one.
Well, It's true. Leno didn't hurt Conan . Again, Read my other post. CBS has about 14 shows in the top 20 but that doesn't help Letterman . And NBC has none. But Leno wins the 11:35 time slot. The truth is Conan didn't get the job done. So he was fired. The local NBC affiliates wanted him fired.

Well, It's true. Leno didn't hurt Conan . Again, Read my other post. CBS has about 14 shows in the top 20 but that doesn't help Letterman . And NBC has none. But Leno wins the 11:35 time slot. The truth is Conan didn't get the job done. So he was fired. The local NBC affiliates wanted him fired.
You're correct if you're saying the local affiliates wanted Leno fired. Leno's crappy ratings were disastrous as a direct lead-in to the local news.

If you're implying that they wanted Conan fired I'd really like to see a link to that one because he wasn't a lead-in to any local programming. :confused:

You're correct if you're saying the local affiliates wanted Leno fired. Leno's crappy ratings were disastrous as a direct lead-in to the local news.

If you're implying that they wanted Conan fired I'd really like to see a link to that one because he wasn't a lead-in to any local programming. :confused:

But they didn't want Leno fired. They wanted him back at his old time slot. They didn't say fire Leno and keep Conan .

Last edited:
You've shown a predilection for lying in the past and it's obvious you're making this up too.

Please show me proof of this or please stop posting this nonsense.
Huh? NBC wanted Conan to stay and Jay to go? And for lying, I used one thread to play defense. I invite you to show another thread when I "lied". You guys need to stop the personal attacks. If you can't defend facts then just say so. Again, NBC wanted Jay back and Conan out. That is not a lie. It's a fact. Did they want him to go back to his own show? I have no idea. But I know they wanted him fired from The Tonight Show. Did the NBC affiliates cry out to fire Jay at 10pm and keep Conan on The Tonight Show? No. Fact.

And the one link that proves it.
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/jan/14/affiliates-thrilled-nbc-moving-leno-to-later/

Last edited:
By Nellie Andreeva & James HibberdSource & More: thrfeed.comQuote:
Exclu: After a two-week stall, Fox and Conan O'Brien have resumed talks about a potential late-night talk show fronted by the former "Tonight Show" host.
But a wrinkle in the courtship has emerged that involves the biggest show on television: O'Brien has been approached to take part in Fox's "Idol Gives Back" special April 21.

The only problem is he could not do that, because of the 3 month gag rule, right?

Huh? NBC wanted Conan to stay and Jay to go? And for lying, I used one thread to play defense. I invite you to show another thread when I "lied". You guys need to stop the personal attacks. If you can't defend facts then just say so. Again, NBC wanted Jay back and Conan out. That is not a lie. It's a fact. Did they want him to go back to his own show? I have no idea. But I know they wanted him fired from The Tonight Show. Did the NBC affiliates cry out to fire Jay at 10pm and keep Conan on The Tonight Show? No. Fact.

And the one link that proves it.
Affiliates thrilled NBC moving Leno to later slot

What?? The link you provided disproves what you are saying. They blamed their news ratings demise on Leno and were happy that he was gone from the 10:00 hour and moved after the news. So YES, they did want him gone (or fired).

After watching its affiliates' late news ratings tank since the September debut of "The Jay Leno Show," NBC finally has capitulated to the stations' demands and announced that the show will move from that slot soon.

Since the Leno show began in September, affiliates everywhere watched their late newscasts' ratings tank, including WFIE-NBC14, which saw a huge drop in the most recent ratings period in November. Most stations' officials blamed the weak lead-in that Leno delivered.

What?? The link you provided disproves what you are saying. They blamed their news ratings demise on Leno and were happy that he was gone from the 10:00 hour and moved after the news. So YES, they did want him gone (or fired).
The link says that the affiliates wanted Leno back at his old time slot . If I'm wrong then Leno would have been fired and Conan would still be hosting the tonight show. But NBC found out two things, Leno was not good at 10pm and great at his old time slot, and Conan was terrible on The Tonight Show. Once again, I posted months ago that putting Leno on at 10pm was a mistake and that NBC shouldn't do it. I knew it wouldn't work.

If Letterman was beating Leno now many would have something to crow about.

Last edited:
The link says that the affiliates wanted Leno back at his old time slot . If I'm wrong then Leno would have been fired and Conan would still be hosting the tonight show. But NBC found out two things, Leno was not good at 10pm and great at his old time slot, and Conan was terrible on The Tonight Show. Once again, I posted months ago that putting Leno on at 10pm was a mistake and that NBC shouldn't do it. I knew it wouldn't work.

If Letterman was beating Leno now many would have something to crow about.
I think you're reading something here that I'm not. You managed to find one affiliate from Evansville Indiana who is happy with the change after the decision has already been made. That's not even close to your previous claim of a "fact" that the affiliates wanted Conan out and Leno to replace him at 11:35. And that's the proof I've been asking for that you haven't been able to find.

The only links I've been able to find dealt with the affiliates displeasure with Leno's poor 10PM ratings and the affect on their late local news. I can't find one that mentions the affiliates were calling for Conan's head, because that decision came from NBC suits. Can you find one??

I think you're reading something here that I'm not. You managed to find one affiliate from Evansville Indiana who is happy with the change after the decision has already been made. That's not even close to your previous claim of a "fact" that the affiliates wanted Conan out and Leno to replace him at 11:35. And that's the proof I've been asking for that you haven't been able to find.

The only links I've been able to find dealt with the affiliates displeasure with Leno's poor 10PM ratings and the affect on their late local news. I can't find one that mentions the affiliates were calling for Conan's head, because that decision came from NBC suits. Can you find one??

I didn't say NBC wanted him fired from NBC. I said they wanted him fired from The Tonight Show. :)

hmm... Let's put it all this way...

Leno vs. Letterman - winner = Leno
Conan vs. Letterman - winner = Letterman

Against the same competition (Letterman), Leno had superior numbers to Conan but before and after.

It doesn't matter who wanted who where, TV is a business, if you don't deliver the ratings, then you get canceled. Conan did not deliver, Leno did and is doing so again. Therefore NBC can't be faulted in putting Leno back to 11:30.

If Conan had delivered, then he would still be there.

If/when he starts a new show on Fox, we'll see what happens. Personally I think it will be another in a long string of Fox late night failures.

Leno & Letterman both have very loyal audiences that probably won't change their 11:30 viewing habits.

Against the same competition (Letterman), Leno had superior numbers to Conan but before and after.

It doesn't matter who wanted who where, TV is a business, if you don't deliver the ratings, then you get canceled. Conan did not deliver, Leno did and is doing so again. Therefore NBC can't be faulted in putting Leno back to 11:30.

If/when he starts a new show on Fox, we'll see what happens. Personally I think it will be another in a long string of Fox late night failures.

Leno & Letterman both have very loyal audiences that probably won't change their 11:30 viewing habits.

Yes. Even if Conan had kept the ratings near what Leno had they would have kept Conan.

Conan "It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

Conan is wrong, Letterman has that support with many of the CBS shows in the top 20 but it doesn't help him. And NBC has not had one top 20 shows and yet Leno still wins.

Conan should have swallowed his pride and stayed at NBC.

Yes. Even if Conan had kept the ratings near what Leno had they would have kept Conan.

Conan "It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

Conan is wrong, Letterman has that support with many of the CBS shows in the top 20 but it doesn't help him. And NBC has not had one top 20 shows and yet Leno still wins.

Conan should have swallowed his pride and stayed at NBC.

Remember when Leno started he built his audience when NBC was the number one network.

I think it is more telling that Letterman cannot build his audience with the better CBS ratings now.

It is not as simple as Leno getting the audience despite the network ratings. He had his fan base built up over many years. I think what happened was that his fans followed him to the 10pm show, but it was only a loyal % of the Tonight Show watchers, not enough to generate prime time numbers needed. Conan really did not have a chance to build new viewers, and having the network tanking at the time did not help. When Leno moved back to late night he took his fans with him.

I didn't say NBC wanted him fired from NBC. I said they wanted him fired from The Tonight Show. :)
Wow. :confused: Is English your first language??

I didn't say that you said that. We all know the affiliates wanted Leno out of 10pm. You said the affiliates wanted Conan out of the Tonight Show. I said show me some proof.

Until then it's just another sad fabrication....

The problem is that Conan had a bad leadin, that was due to the news having a worse lead in. If leno was off the air, who's to say that the leadin from conan would have been better and thus his ratings would have been alot better. You guys dont understand how leadins work and how they can effect ratings.

I dont think this is going to be a failure, I think conan will trump lenno in his ratings, On top of that conan has a very young following that often gets over looked. At the same time conan has kept his audence excited with his upcoming legally prohibited from being on tv tour! They sold out in seconds at just about every venu he announced.

On top of that Leno's ratings have dropped every week sense his return! Despite Ratings Wins, Leno Still Faces Hurdles - ABC News Leno is done, he was damaged from this and I dont think he will recover.

Wow. :confused: Is English your first language??

I didn't say that you said that. We all know the affiliates wanted Leno out of 10pm. You said the affiliates wanted Conan out of the Tonight Show. I said show me some proof.

Until then it's just another sad fabrication....
And the personal attacks continue. You need to let it go .

The Affiliates wanted Leno back at his old time slot. They also wanted Conan gone from the tonight show. End of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)