Fox local channel no longer on Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I was skeptical at first.

Consider that way before cable tv antennas received channels from afar and did just fine.

What do you have to lose, really? I was skeptical, but it worked out fine. I bore no cost whatsoever.

Why not check in and see if they'll do it for you....or don't. Your call.

Being 8 miles from all four transmitters seems a little different than

I was skeptical at first.

Consider that way before cable tv antennas received channels from afar and did just fine.

What do you have to lose, really? I was skeptical, but it worked out fine. I bore no cost whatsoever.

Why not check in and see if they'll do it for you....or don't. Your call.

During my second chat with Dish I did ask the service rep if I could get an antenna installed as you and many others have at this forum. He said I did not qualify because I was too far out to obtain good reception from their antenna. Here is the chat transcript, in part:

"(ME)I chatted yesterday with someone but I have learned of new information I would like to share with you. The service rep yesterday said all they could do for me was a one time five dollar credit which of course I laughed at as that is insulting to a 20 year loyal customer of Dish. Since then I found out from the Dish forum that many people in my situation have been given and installed an over the air antenna free of charge. I am wondering why I was not offered that and if you can provide that. The forum members have this done all the time.

Jhun (20:43:17 GMT) : This is not the experience that we want you to have with the service. On behalf of the company I sincerely apologize for this matter.
Jhun (20:43:19 GMT) : DISH seeks to provide the highest quality programming to our customers.
Jhun (20:43:22 GMT) : At this time, our qualification is not showing that you are eligible for one of our promotional OTA campaigns. OTA signal may be impacted by a lack of line of sight to the distribution towers and other signal interference.

(ME) How do you become eligible?

Jhun (20:45:03 GMT) : If you area will be possible to get a good signal with our antenna, you will be receiving notification from us.

(ME) In other words I am too far out to receive the signal well. Is that what you are saying?

Jhun (20:45:49 GMT) : Yes, that is correct."

So, it appears then that Dish has an antenna guide that tells them if their antenna will work depending on where the customer lives. I am nearly 60 miles from some of the local towers and in lots of woods. I am sure they will not foot the bill for a deep fringe antenna on a tall mast. As I indicated before, some of my local stations are shown on the no cable website as "50-50", which is hit or miss depending on conditions and others are shown as "challenge to receive", which I interpret to mean chances are slim to none.

My locals with Dish have always been excellent, no problemo, but since this dispute with Fox pulling out of Dish in my area, I am stuck without a way to watch some playoff and Super Bowl games, although I know there are ways to stream and play tricks. This was the reason I started this thread - to see what other members have done when faced with similar situations.

This will all blow over eventually but if the dispute lingers, I will either change address temporarily as has been suggested here. Or do what I originally thought of doing which is going to a dark bar with cold beer in a nearby town not affected by this blackout and watch the game there. Not a bad option really when you think about it!

During my second chat with Dish I did ask the service rep if I could get an antenna installed as you and many others have at this forum. He said I did not qualify because I was too far out to obtain good reception from their antenna. Here is the chat transcript, in part:

"(ME)I chatted yesterday with someone but I have learned of new information I would like to share with you. The service rep yesterday said all they could do for me was a one time five dollar credit which of course I laughed at as that is insulting to a 20 year loyal customer of Dish. Since then I found out from the Dish forum that many people in my situation have been given and installed an over the air antenna free of charge. I am wondering why I was not offered that and if you can provide that. The forum members have this done all the time.

Jhun (20:43:17 GMT) : This is not the experience that we want you to have with the service. On behalf of the company I sincerely apologize for this matter.
Jhun (20:43:19 GMT) : DISH seeks to provide the highest quality programming to our customers.
Jhun (20:43:22 GMT) : At this time, our qualification is not showing that you are eligible for one of our promotional OTA campaigns. OTA signal may be impacted by a lack of line of sight to the distribution towers and other signal interference.

Jhun (20:45:03 GMT) : If you area will be possible to get a good signal with our antenna, you will be receiving notification from us.

(ME) In other words I am too far out to receive the signal well. Is that what you are saying?

So, it appears then that Dish has an antenna guide that tells them if their antenna will work depending on where the customer lives. I am nearly 60 miles from some of the local towers and in lots of woods. I am sure they will not foot the bill for a deep fringe antenna on a tall mast. As I indicated before, some of my local stations are shown on the no cable website as "50-50", which is hit or miss depending on conditions and others are shown as "challenge to receive", which I interpret to mean chances are slim to none.

My locals with Dish have always been excellent, no problemo, but since this dispute with Fox pulling out of Dish in my area, I am stuck without a way to watch some playoff and Super Bowl games, although I know there are ways to stream and play tricks. This was the reason I started this thread - to see what other members have done when faced with similar situations.

This will all blow over eventually but if the dispute lingers, I will either change address temporarily as has been suggested here. Or do what I originally thought of doing which is going to a dark bar with cold beer in a nearby town not affected by this blackout and watch the game there. Not a bad option really when you think about it!
Sorry it didn't work out. I'm in about the same boat as you. I live in an apartment and I'm too far away from getting any networks. If you have a good internet speed I'd suggest going to one of the streaming services for a week or whatever they're offering before the game and cancel after the game.

Well, I am glad you tried. It's the the woods, I have woods and hills. But the distance, yeah, that's a problem apparently. You tried, and they told you that they would do it.

You could look at a larger and more powerful antenna? Or you could try all the streamers.

Bummer.

Here is something I just picked up but don't know if it will work. Okay, so I don't have my local Fox affiliate until they and Dish resolve their dispute, which now looks like it might not be in time for the Super Bowl.
However, Dish does have channel 150 FoxS1, which I receive as part of my package and which I understand will also carry the Super Bowl. In addition I downloaded the app for this channel on my Roku tv in case they black out Dish channel 150 because my local Fox channel is still in dispute with Dish. What do you guys think? Will FoxS1 still broadcast the Super Bowl in a market where Fox locals are in dispute with Dish? If so, will the Fox sports app still work for streaming the game?

Last edited:
Here is something I just picked up but don't know if it will work. Okay, so I don't have my local Fox affiliate until they and Dish resolve their dispute, which now looks like it might not be in time for the Super Bowl.
However, Dish does have channel 150 FoxS1, which I receive as part of my package and which I understand will also carry the Super Bowl. In addition I downloaded the app for this channel on my Ruko tv in case they black out Dish channel 150 because my local Fox channel is still in dispute with Dish. What do you guys think? Will FoxS1 still broadcast the Super Bowl in a market where Fox locals are in dispute with Dish? If so, will the Fox sports app still work for streaming the game?
You can test that today. Simply go to the FoxSports app on your RokuTV and go to Guide. You should see Fox, FS1, FS2, etc. Go to FS1 and click watch for whatever is playing now. If it comes up you should be fine. You might even go to Fox and click on it to see if that works to get Fox programming. As I recall, when we were having a Fox take down for the owned and operated stations, we didn't get FS1 at all but it is worth the try.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
You can test that today. Simply go to the FoxSports app on your RokuTV and go to Guide. You should see Fox, FS1, FS2, etc. Go to FS1 and click watch for whatever is playing now. If it comes up you should be fine. You might even go to Fox and click on it to see if that works to get Fox programming. As I recall, when we were having a Fox take down for the owned and operated stations, we didn't get FS1 at all but it is worth the try.
Yes, I've checked the app and I get five Fox sports channels, although FS1 is all I care about. I get these on Dish too right now but as you mentioned, they may pull these Fox sport channels on Super Bowl Sunday because of the local Fox affiliate being in dispute with Dish. But if the app continues to work I'm all set!

Yes, I've checked the app and I get five Fox sports channels, although FS1 is all I care about. I get these on Dish too right now but as you mentioned, they may pull these Fox sport channels on Super Bowl Sunday because of the local Fox affiliate being in dispute with Dish. But if the app continues to work I'm all set!
I doubt that they would pull it down for a local channel issue. Mind you my experience was with Fox 'owned and operated' stations so they pulled everything down.

I checked locast but they don't service my area. It is such a small market no one services it! I think my best bet is the Fox app.

However, Dish does have channel 150 FoxS1, which I receive as part of my package and which I understand will also carry the Super Bowl. In addition I downloaded the app for this channel on my Roku tv in case they black out Dish channel 150 because my local Fox channel is still in dispute with Dish. What do you guys think? Will FoxS1 still broadcast the Super Bowl in a market where Fox locals are in dispute with Dish? If so, will the Fox sports app still work for streaming the game?

Is FS1 definitely broadcasting the Super Bowl?

Our local FOX affiliate has been off Dish for 10 months so it would definitely help if the game is also on FS1.

Reactions: charlesrshell
10 months?! Wow! I did not think these disputes went that long. We have had a couple similar problems with local channels over the years but they and Dish worked things out in a matter of weeks. Have you received any sort of break on your bill from Dish? Any incentive or perk for not having all your locals provided?

Here is an answer to a question found at the Fox Sports website:

"What channel is the Super Bowl on?
Watch Super Bowl 2020 on FOX and FOXSports.com, or stream it live by downloading the FOX Sports and FOX NOW apps".

That is pretty clear but my only question is will they allow that to happen in the areas where Fox is in dispute with the local affiliate.

10 months?! Wow! I did not think these disputes went that long. We have had a couple similar problems with local channels over the years but they and Dish worked things out in a matter of weeks. Have you received any sort of break on your bill from Dish? Any incentive or perk for not having all your locals provided?

Here is an answer to a question found at the Fox Sports website:

"What channel is the Super Bowl on?
Watch Super Bowl 2020 on FOX and FOXSports.com, or stream it live by downloading the FOX Sports and FOX NOW apps".

That is pretty clear but my only question is will they allow that to happen in the areas where Fox is in dispute with the local affiliate.

Don't see anything about Fox Sports 1 there or when I Googled it. Was hoping that we could just tell folks to watch it on channel 150 on Dish. A lot of people around here don't have fast unlimited internet to stream.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know what you mean. There is only one internet provider out here where I live and my service is spotty at best. I am under the impression channel 150 will carry the Super Bowl but we shall see. Unfortunately we can't pull up the schedule or guide this far in advance.

Reactions: JSheridan
Is FS1 definitely broadcasting the Super Bowl?

Our local FOX affiliate has been off Dish for 10 months so it would definitely help if the game is also on FS1.
I can't say 'definite' but every Fox sporting event that they delivered in 4K has been on FS1 to date. They don't have a channel that they can put it on other than that. So, being that they have announced that the game will be 4K the odds are it will be on FS1. We'll know better as the month progresses.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts