Fox Movie Channel starting commercial interrupions 1/1/12?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Well Crap! I just saw a promo from Fox Movie Channel. It is changing to FX Movie Channel and reviving the old FXM moniker. But the part that really got to me was when the announcer said in an excited voice as if it was a good thing: "With limited commercial interruptions." To me that means "limited to the most we can possibly get away with and still have some people watch the movie all the way through."

The change is set to occur on 1/1/12

Now if it is limited like MGM Movies (one break for 90 seconds during the entire movie --two breaks if it's longer than two hours) then okay I can handle that. But otherwise it will become yet another channel I will be removing from my favorites list and joining AMC, IFC, Bravo (yes it used to be commercial free)

For the record, other cable channels that used to be commercial-free
The Learning Channel (before Discovery bought it)
Arts Channel (before the merger with Entertainment Channel to become A&E)
Entertainment Channel (was a premium channel merged with Arts Channel)
Nickelodeon (It went off the air at 7pm)
Disney Channel (yes I know it only has promos, but it has "promo-breaks" that are still selling something--used to be a premium channel)
AMC - within the last few years
IFC - only a year or so ago
MGM Movies (Only lasted a few months before commercial began)

I'm sure there were others but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

I don't sub to this channel because of the whole black bars thing. It is like watching tv on a postage stamp . I don't see paying an extra $10.00 a month for the top 250 ,since it really doesn't have any one channel I have to have.

Well the Fox Movie Channel is going away from my Quick Tune on the DTV Remote.
Also I think it's getting close to the time to dump the HD Channels , MGM, Sony HD net, HD Movie net.

So they say watch with "limited commercial interruption", so I checked it out just to see earlier. I watched Iron Man which is 2 hours and 6 minutes long, FXM had it in a 2 hour and 30 minute block, and it said at the beginning it had been edited for time allotment it didn't say for content on this particular title...but looking at the schedule R-rated films are edited down to TV-14 rating :(

Here is how it went:
18:35 of movie
4:45 commercials
16:22 of movie
4:56 commercials
21:03 of movie
4:47 commercials
23:25 of movie
5:00 commercials
19:29 of movie
4:38 commercials
12:06 of movie
4:46 commercials
10:42 rest of movie

Also, the FXM logo bug remains for the entire length of the movie, about 6 times total they pop up a medium sized message in the right lower corner saying Now 'Iron Man' toward the end of the movie it pops up with Next 'Live Free or Die Hard', and they now half the screen for most of the credits and speed them up :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I liked watching Scooby Doo in about 20 minutes before, not like that anymore. And as far as Fox Movie Channel goes, along with the commercials they've pretty much abandoned the variety of older movies they used to play. It's basically FX without the original shows now. I once again thank the TV gods that TCM is still around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)