FOX NEWS HD - Where are you?

The problem with cable is every time they add HD channels they compress everything even more and PQ drops. With our local cable company, the compression is so high it is difficult to tell a HD program from an upconvert. My buddy was amazed at the PQ on an ESPN (not the best HD) bowl game when he was over the other night because, in his words, it is "as least twice as clear as cable" and we both have 42" LCD's.

The problem with cable is every time they add HD channels they compress everything even more and PQ drops. With our local cable company, the compression is so high it is difficult to tell a HD program from an upconvert. My buddy was amazed at the PQ on an ESPN (not the best HD) bowl game when he was over the other night because, in his words, it is "as least twice as clear as cable" and we both have 42" LCD's.
Verizon FiOS is a "cable company" and their picture quality is "The Best". I have seen HD look quite good on cable systems, and I have seen it look quite bad...it all depends on the local cable company. As far as overall picture quality, DishHD is near the bottom (FiOS, DirecTV, Cable, Dish Network, U-Verse). Your local cable company must really be awful in order to make DishHD-Lite look good.

BTW, Fox News HD Fox Business HD are available on Verizon FiOS for anyone interested.;)

Verizon FiOS is a "cable company" and their picture quality is "The Best". I have seen HD look quite good on cable systems, and I have seen it look quite bad...it all depends on the local cable company. As far as overall picture quality, DishHD is near the bottom (FiOS, DirecTV, Cable, Dish Network, U-Verse). Your local cable company must really be awful in order to make DishHD-Lite look good.

BTW, Fox News HD Fox Business HD are available on Verizon FiOS for anyone interested.;)

Fios is a fiber solution. Very different from all the copper used by Comcast and Time Warner, which is what "cable" really refers to. No one (but you, apparently) thinks Fios or U-Verse when someone says cable. I've seen our local TWC's definition of HD, and Dish's HD is infinitely superior.

And yes, I'm interested in Fios. So are a ton of people on this board. Thing is, until they start serving more areas, 97% of us out of luck. I'm tired of your singing its praises when you consistently fail to mention it's one problem: hardly anyone can get it.

Comcast in knoxville,TN got about 4 new HD channels right before the holidays. My friends contract with comcast is up in January. I was tellin her to come to Dishnetwork, But now I wonder if it is worth it.....

She has AMC HD,FX HD,E HD,CNN HD,TRAVEL HD,FOOD HD, HGTV HD,LIFETIME HD, LIFETIMEMOVIE HD,SCFI HD,SPEED HD,SCI HD, DISCOVERY HD,TLC HD,FOXNEWS HD,WEATHER HD,HALLMARK HD, ALL LOCALS INCLUDING PBS HD,MTV HD,BRAVO HD,HISTORY HD,BIO HD,A&E HD,HBO HD,CINAMAX HD, STARS HD, ENCORE HD, WGN HD,UNIVERSAL HD,MGM HD,HDNETS, HD NET MOVIES,SMITHSONIAN HD,PADILLA HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, AND USA HD

cOMMING SOON HD CHANNELS SHOWS AS COMDEY HD AND NICK AND NICK 2 HD IN JANUARY

Interesting that her Comcast has that many channels in HD. Here in Chicago area they have less than half that (My daughter has Comcast).

I imagine that Comcast and other cable system offerings will get a lot better once they get rid of all the analog channels and go all-digital.

As for telling someone to go with Dish, I would not. I used to, but not in the last year or so. My neighbor dropped Comcast last year and I steered him to D*.

Personally, I am waiting to see what kind of bundle I can get for D* from Directv Feb 1 and/or to see when they light up Uverse (we already have Uverse internet).

I don't know if they realize it or not but Dish is way overdue for some kind of major deal-breaker if they want to stay competative.

Have to agree with this. My 18 mo commitment was up this past summer, have been waiting to see if FNC shows up in HD. Guess I'll wait and see what happens in Jan/Feb, beside the price increase.

I have to admit, Charlie really is behind the curve now on getting this channel. They now offer it on TWC here in Moreno Valley. They even have Fox Business Channel in HD, which those of us on Dish can't even see in SD yet.

So when is the Fox contract set to expire? I would imagine that soon Fox and Dish will get in to agressive negotiations and all of the Fox channels will disappear for a time. When the deal is done, all these new channels will show up.

As they eliminate their analog cable channels, they free up bandwidth for more HD channels. Not all cable HD has poor PQ. I just setup a new HDTV for my mother-in-law who is on Comcast analog cable. Using the Clear QAM tuner I scanned in all the local DTV channels from Comcast DTV. The local HD newscasts on those channels on her new HDTV look every bit as good as my Dish HD locals do on either of my HDTVs. I'm not fond of Comcast, but they are doing a reasonable job here in metro-Denver with regard to HD, at least the locals in HD.

Time for Dish to deal with this. Fox News is the only SD channel I watch and I doubt I'm alone. I'm wondering if keeping current subscribers bolting to the HD only is one reason they're dragging their feet.

My contract is up but I move this summer so I'll give them until then to get this straight.

I will watch Fox in sd or hd because the truth is that FoxNews is the only place to get both sides of the debate presented these days. The networks, CNN and MSNBC are all in the tank for the One and rarely allow for a diversity of opinion. A current example is their acceptance of Caroline Kennedy but kicking Sarah Palin, a sitting Governor to the curb daily while she was running. Fox presents more of both parties and where they stand than any other channel according to independent testing. There is no tolerance for diversity of opinion on other channels but is welcomed for debate on Fox. If you dare to challenge the politically correct Democrats on CNN or MSNBC with a better idea you are identified as the problem. The New York Times, CNN and MsNBC are not interested in the truth but only in furthering their cause and Fox News stands alone against them. I say thank you FoxNews and God Bless.

I would make a comment about Fox news' fair and balanced reporting but Slamminc11 beat me to it. So before this turns into a major political forum I'll just say I'm ROFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts