Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Fox Regional Sports Networks Block DISH and Sling TV Customers

• Fox Regional Sports Networks remove 16 sports channels from DISH and Sling customers
  • Fox RSNs demand higher rates for customers whether they get the channels or not
  • Fox RSNs reject DISH offer of a short-term extension

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 26, 2019 – DISH today reported that Fox Regional Sports Networks, currently owned by The Walt Disney Company, blocked DISH and Sling TV customers’ access to 16 regional sports networks.

The Fox RSNs, currently pending an announced sale to Sinclair Broadcast Group, and YES Network, which is reportedly being sold to a group of investors, are demanding unreasonable rates and attempting to make DISH customers pay for the channels, whether they get them or not.

“The regional sports TV business model is broken,” said Andy LeCuyer, DISH senior vice president of Programming. “It relies on the majority of customers subsidizing the slim minority who actually watch these channels. RSNs should be like a ticket to the ballpark – fans who want to watch the game should be the ones who pay for it.”

Like many regional sports networks, Fox RSNs are seeking payment from almost all DISH customers in their regions, even those who choose a programming package that does not include these channels.

“Sports programming is the most expensive content on TV. Networks pay the sports teams huge amounts of money, then try to recoup it from a broad base of consumers,” said LeCuyer. “It’s time to change the status quo.”

DISH Offer of Extension, True Up Rejected

DISH was hopeful that it would reach a mutual agreement to renew carriage of the Fox Regional Sports Networks. In that spirit, DISH offered a short-term contract extension that would have included a retroactive rate adjustment and would have preserved the ability of DISH customers to access the Fox RSNs while negotiations continued. The rate adjustment would have ensured that the Fox RSNs were made whole at the new rates for the period of any contract extension.

“Fox RSNs had nothing to lose and consumers had everything to gain by leaving these channels up,” said LeCuyer. “Instead, the RSNs chose to harm their own viewers.”

Fox Regional Sports Networks removed the following channels from the DISH lineup:

• Fox Sports Arizona
  • Fox Sports Cincinnati
  • Fox Sports Detroit
  • Fox Sports Florida
  • Fox Sports Midwest
  • Fox Sports North
  • Fox Sports Ohio
  • Fox Sports Prime Ticket
  • Fox Sports San Diego
  • Fox Sports South
  • Fox Sports Southeast
  • Fox Sports Southwest
  • Fox Sports SportsTime Ohio
  • Fox Sports Sun
  • Fox Sports West
  • YES Network (Sling TV only)

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

Actually, the opposite. DISH wanted to move the RSNs to a higher tier, while Fox (Sinclair actucally, I suppose) wanted them to remain as is.

The broader question to me is that the sports media journals are saying this is probably permanent. What then is exactly DISH's business plan? Who, exactly is the customer it is shooting for?

Reactions: tspangle
I lost the ability to view my two favorite baseball teams. Cleveland Indians were on Fox Sports Ohio and Cincinnati Reds were on Fox Sports Cincinnati. Since I own Amazon Prime I tried to subscribe to MLB.TV since the first 30 days is free. Unfortunately, I received the message that the Cleveland Indians at Kansas City Royals is unavailable due to MLB.TV Blackout Restrictions. I don’t understand why it would be blacked out for me in Plain City, Ohio since the game is in Kansas City.
I called Dish to ask about any other alternative to view the game. She suggested ESPN. She did give me 2 free months of Showtime to compensate for the loss of Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Cincinnati. I don’t blame Dish since Disney is trying to extort larger fees.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don’t understand why it would be blacked out for me in Plain City, Ohio since the game is in Kansas City

With MLB.tv, games are blacked out in the team's home territory. It doesn't matter where the home team is playing.

MLB.TV Out-of-Market Packages

Scroll to the bottom and enter your zip code.

Actually, the opposite. DISH wanted to move the RSNs to a higher tier, while Fox (Sinclair actucally, I suppose) wanted them to remain as is.

The broader question to me is that the sports media journals are saying this is probably permanent. What then is exactly DISH's business plan? Who, exactly is the customer it is shooting for?

It wouldn't surprise me if FSN/Sinclair wants money from every subscriber in each of the markets; all of them Flex, Welcome Pack etc. included.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
With MLB.tv, games are blacked out in the team's home territory. It doesn't matter where the home team is playing.

So MLB.TV is basically useless since it doesn’t allow you to watch your local teams. I put in my zip and it said Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds, and Pittsburgh Pirates were considered local and would be blacked out. Why would anyone subscribe to a service that doesn’t allow you to watch your local teams. That makes no sense to me.

Why would anyone subscribe to a service that doesn’t allow you to watch your local teams

To get out of market teams. In my case, I live in Kansas City but I'm a Cardinals fan. I can watch St Louis games here with MLB.tv

They WANT you to use your local RSN to watch in-market games.

That's what makes a dispute like this particularly troublesome.

Have you considered Youtube TV?

Reactions: Pere845
So MLB.TV is basically useless since it doesn’t allow you to watch your local teams. I put in my zip and it said Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds, and Pittsburgh Pirates were considered local and would be blacked out. Why would anyone subscribe to a service that doesn’t allow you to watch your local teams. That makes no sense to me.

MLB.TV is useful in a couple of cases:
1) You are just a baseball junkie, this describes me.
2) Like many people in the USA you no longer live anywhere near where you grew up and developed your sports team loyalties. Since most cable systems only have the local team RSN you can't watch your favorite team as often as you would like. MLB.TV allows you to watch the team you grew up watching. This also describes me as I grew up in Wisconsin when the Pilots AKA Brewers were not a thing and so I am a Cubs fan living in Colorado. When the Cubs or Brewers play the Rockies I am blacked out from those games.

Yes, in your case the local RSNs have contracts to carry the local team so contractually MLB.TV is required to black out the games. There are shady ways to get around this but I won't go into them here.

If you are in the team's territory then you will be blacked out. They want you to subscribe to the channel locally.

I lost the ability to view my two favorite baseball teams. Cleveland Indians were on Fox Sports Ohio and Cincinnati Reds were on Fox Sports Cincinnati. Since I own Amazon Prime I tried to subscribe to MLB.TV since the first 30 days is free. Unfortunately, I received the message that the Cleveland Indians at Kansas City Royals is unavailable due to MLB.TV Blackout Restrictions. I don’t understand why it would be blacked out for me in Plain City, Ohio since the game is in Kansas City.
I called Dish to ask about any other alternative to view the game. She suggested ESPN. She did give me 2 free months of Showtime to compensate for the loss of Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Cincinnati. I don’t blame Dish since Disney is trying to extort larger fees.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It is a real issue for everybody. Directv is in the midst of its own issues as are various cable companies.

Cable generally pays it, and increases your rate, and disguises it as a fee of some kind.

You want to pay more?

These disputes and blackouts are becoming a real issue for Dish. I don't know if I will be staying with Dish when my contract is up if we are going to keep losing channels left and right. I understand Dish is not the one at fault in these issues, but at some point enough is enough.

Between stuff like this and Directv’s issue with channels like CBS I am so glad we stream our TV. Never once have I seen an issue with PlayStation Vue.

Reactions: Howard Simmons