Fox’s ‘Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey’ to Debut on 10 U.S. Channels Simultaneously

I've heard this argument before. In sports, we have the vignette and mini doc. I remember back when there was a time that you couldn't see a NASCAR or Indy race flag-to-flag because the producers thought it was uninteresting to the masses. In order to have the broadest appeal, you had to show all sorts of other programming within the race coverage to break up all that boring cars going around a circle thing. Who would ever pay attention to that? Why would anyone watch? My arguments back in the 1970s about the lousy way that races were covered, my argument today about much of the Olympics coverage, is those who are interested in the subject will watch. Those not interested will not. Altering the presentation in a substantive way to appeal to the masses should not include "dumbing down" the subject matter. It insults the audience and drives away those who were initially interested in the subject. Make the show interesting, but do not talk down to your audience. I just watched "Shores of a Cosmic Ocean" (Episode 1 of Cosmos 1980) again to make sure that I wasn't just misremembering the way the science was presented. The information was almost identical. The presentation was much more mesmerizing, captivating, inciting.
Like I said, I will watch this entire new series. But, so far, it is a pale shadow of what it is supposed to be.

I like these type of shows, I hope Cosmos will do good, I find this type of pop sci show entertaining.
However, even when I see Brian Greene, Michio Kaku, Lisa Randall, Leonard Susskid, et al, in these type of shows, it´s only bits and pieces of greater things.
I´m interested in these subjects but I know that watching these shows doesn´t compare to hitting the books. ;)

Just watched it and I have to say I expected more. It just didn't engage me. I wasn't even born when the original series started, but I'm certainly tempted to check it out to see if it was any better.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

As soon as I saw Seth MacFarlane as Executive Producer in the opening credits I knew we were in trouble. The cartoons depicting religious folk (Catholics?) as ignorant, oppressive buffoons were cringeworthy. Also that jab about burning coal felt like it was forced in by a global warming protester.

As soon as I saw Seth MacFarlane as Executive Producer in the opening credits I knew we were in trouble. The cartoons depicting religious folk (Catholics?) as ignorant, oppressive buffoons were cringeworthy.

As a person who was raised Catholic and still identifies himself as such, I can tell you that this is exactly the way I view the Curia of the time.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson was on Colbert tonight... where was THIS Tyson during Cosmos. He was engaging, captivating, entertaining, and thought provoking as ever!

Quote of the night: "When different experiments give you the same answer it is no longer subject to your opinion. It's true whether or not you believe it. That's why it works!"

I skipped through a lot of it. I did think the cartoons were silly. Yes people thought the earth was the center of the universe for many years, why devote a large section of the show to that with cartoon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts