Frasier (Reboot) - Paramount +

Further proof that Hollywood is pretty much out of new ideas. I'll give this a shot since I loved the original. But even the trailer seems a bit lackluster to me. YMMV

The original is practically unknown to the younger generations, for several reasons. It tended to appeal to older folks than Friends did, and for whatever reason it's never been remastered in HD.

I'll watch it myself, but I can't see it making much of a difference in the world other than there being a writers' strike and not much else on.

The original is practically unknown to the younger generations, for several reasons. It tended to appeal to older folks than Friends did, and for whatever reason it's never been remastered in HD.
image.jpg

and in 16x9.

WHAT? How long has this been going on? Must look into this. I've been watching on Hulu and Cozi and the quality is... not good

WHAT? How long has this been going on? Must look into this. I've been watching on Hulu and Cozi and the quality is... not good
I have no idea, I hit the app this morning and there it was.

As far as the quality goes, that is up to the individual, I believe it is good, not great.

By the way, waiting for a rebuttal to my counterpoint on Streaming vs Traditional TV Pricing that you posted on Thursday.

Watching on Paramount+ right now. This would seem to be a different presentation from the Blu-ray. Reviews of the physical media say that most seasons are 4:3. Paramount+ has every episode I’ve watched in 16:9.

Also I know that grain reduction is out of fashion but they should have used a little. The excessive grain is distracting even in well-lit shots. Personally I have no issue with grain reduction on things that were shot for TV. I defy anyone to say that the filmmakers intended people to watch with this much grain.

Also, the highlights are unnecessarily blown out. A better film scan would have addressed that.

Reactions: osu1991
In case anyone is interested the first full episode is available to watch free of charge on the Paramount+ Youtube channel. It is available to everyone so no Paramount+ or Youtube account needed. No idea how long it will be there. My wife and I watched it and would be interested in seeing additional episodes although we will not subscribe to P+ to do so. Maybe it will be on Amazon Prime in a few years or a DVD/BluRay release.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3S47JVd3E

I'm subscribed to Paramount+ for Star Trek, so I'm watching Frasier too. It feels like a comfortable old shoe, as if it were just another episode of the 90s series that never went away. That may not shake the world to its foundations, but it's not a terrible thing either.

And yeah, it will probably be on Prime and Hulu before long.

Pretty standard 90s sitcom fair. Frasier is the same, except they have made him somewhat less insecure and also wealthier, both of which could have really happened. The surrounding characters are straight out of stock, rebel son (I assume it will come out that he is homosexual), dweeb nephew, drunken cynical friend, man crazy female boss, streetwise female foil for the son. Basic sitcom characters, mixed together in living situation based situation (Everybody Loves Raymond, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, etc, etc, etc).

Interesting that they actually are using Harvard and not some legal office cleared faux name for an over-priced self-righteous Boston university.

This has CBS, which has always been TV for the old and the old at heart, written right on it.