FRAUD activity on dishnetwork account?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
any people affected, i'd suggest emailing http://consumerist.com/

you can email them at tips@consumerist.com

I think the only way to get Dish to deal with this privacy breach is to start putting this into the hand of the media. Too many people affected and too many years have gone by with the same nonsense.

guys, i follow up this link, and end up with fbi virus. http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus-fake-fbi-malware-removal/ - more info. when i was following this link, i run on page, what gave a avg warning of a intrusion, but same time i got warning message from firefox - i need to upgrade to fix this page problem. with no thinking, i agree to upgrade. day later i found with malwarebyts this "firefox download". i close problem page, and read some more on forum.
tomorrow my wife got a shock when she open computer. only thing on screen was letter from fbi, plus her picture taken with laptop cam, and inserted in the letter. computer was frozen, and all keys. reboot bring same page with letter, and no keys. i shut down internet, and try to boot in safe mode. after safe mode was finished loading, virus automaticli restart comp, and load this letter again. this time they were asking $300.00 to unlock laptop. beside of avg, i have malwarebyts, but i was not able to go in windows to start it. next i try to go in safe command prompt mode. there i try- in windows to fine exe file to star something. twenty years a go i used dos commands, but i was rusty this time. in dos mode i was able to open task manager with ctrl-alt-del, and stop two services in manual mode. with dos commands i got somehow to my desk top, and start malwarebyts to clean this mess. after reboot, i run same program two more times. third time i found in my download folder firefox download as virus. next i start avg scan, but malwarebyts cleaned all.
this is heads up for all. spammers are using regular program's name to fool us.

jiw

Technically speaking, that was a Trojan. :( I'm sure not many are as astute as you. Congrats on getting rid of it. Are you sure it came from satelliteguys? I get no such popup when I follow Iceberg's link above.

guys, i follow up this link, and end up with fbi virus. http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus-fake-fbi-malware-removal/ - more info. when i was following this link, i run on page, what gave a avg warning of a intrusion, but same time i got warning message from firefox - i need to upgrade to fix this page problem. with no thinking, i agree to upgrade. day later i found with malwarebyts this "firefox download". i close problem page, and read some more on forum.
tomorrow my wife got a shock when she open computer. only thing on screen was letter from fbi, plus her picture taken with laptop cam, and inserted in the letter. computer was frozen, and all keys. reboot bring same page with letter, and no keys. i shut down internet, and try to boot in safe mode. after safe mode was finished loading, virus automaticli restart comp, and load this letter again. this time they were asking $300.00 to unlock laptop. beside of avg, i have malwarebyts, but i was not able to go in windows to start it. next i try to go in safe command prompt mode. there i try- in windows to fine exe file to star something. twenty years a go i used dos commands, but i was rusty this time. in dos mode i was able to open task manager with ctrl-alt-del, and stop two services in manual mode. with dos commands i got somehow to my desk top, and start malwarebyts to clean this mess. after reboot, i run same program two more times. third time i found in my download folder firefox download as virus. next i start avg scan, but malwarebyts cleaned all.
this is heads up for all. spammers are using regular program's name to fool us.

jiw

Excellent info. Thanks.

Technically speaking, that was a Trojan. :( I'm sure not many are as astute as you. Congrats on getting rid of it. Are you sure it came from satelliteguys? I get no such popup when I follow Iceberg's link above.
i used link to read the stories, and links from inside first one. i do not want to go same way again to check. i believe second link did it, and i am not blaming Iceberg for it. it was just warning to others to not click automatically on popups. from now i will carry boot able mem stick with malwarebytes on it - change boot order, and run from stick.
just to say, i was reading about scamming, so i did not believe this was something real.
jiw

Ouch, I hope that Dish improves their security on their accounts as this is not a good hole to have. I would've thought they would at least have a token e-mailed to the registered e-mail on the account for changing a password like 99% of the websites I visit do. Some general suggestions for those reading this thread though:

1) Ad networks are now one of the primary targets of folks looking to get malware onto your machine. So many people think that the ads they see on various websites are served by that website when in fact they are not. Infect an ad network and you have a wide distribution of sites for malware many of which folks do not think would serve them malware (they're not, but the ad network they use to get some revenue might inadvertently do so)
2) If you're running FireFox I would highly recommend installing the NoScript add-on. It allows for a very granular level of control of which sites you allow to run scripts in your browser and which ones you do not, this includes whether the site is allowed to run Java & Flash
3) If you don't already have anti virus it's highly recommended that you do so. Personally I'm not a big fan of AVG as they haven't been testing out with the greatest in detection rates and are a bit on the hoggish side. For free anti virus I would probably recommend Avira and for paid I would go with NOD32.

Microsoft Security Essentials has been rock solid for me, and free.

I've used MSSE on 6-7 machines for years, 2007 or earlier. I've only had one infection, and that was about a week ago.

I had a machine I mothballed (unplugged and put on the shelf) in 2009. I pulled it out and fired it up last week, then opened IE to go to the Windows update site. IE loaded the four home pages; satguys, weather.gov, an expired site which redirected to godaddy and one other I don't recall. After the first round of updates, which included Security Essentials, alerts for seedabutor.b started. That's all it took to get infected. A full scan by MSSE isolated and removed the worm.

Definitely worth the price, and more! I've used too many AV resource hogs in the past, and MSSE just seems to work for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)