FRAUD activity on dishnetwork account?

ajayknair

Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
fremont ca
Hi DishNetwork support,

I guess I am being targeted for fraud on dish account.

Yesterday I got a call with an offer to upgrade to hopper and Joey(s) for no fee.
Also, if i prepaid 6 mos upfront, the remaining 6 mos would be free.

When i asked them to prove that they were actual dish network employees/reps, they added a few local language (hindi) channels as "proof"
(i guess they added these by calling dish and pretending to be me)

I got convinced this is a scam when they asked me to wire transfer the money :) after the upgrade was done.

What is scary is they already had access to my account, knew all my phone numbers, home address, last 4 digits of SSN etc.
They cam essentially commit ANY kind of fraud with that info. How did they get all this personal info out of dishnetwork i wonder?

I called dis network today and placed a hold on my work order.
Also got them to cancel the "free" programming that was added on by scammers.
But I am worried about my account being accessed again for unauthorized use by these scammers - so i requested dish to replace my receiver so i have a new reciever ID.

Do you think I covered all my bases?
Any other suggestions/inputs on how to make my account more secure?

Also, when i spoke with dish rep.. i was told that somehow they had managed to order upgrade to hopper for free, but if i ordered on my own, i'd have to pay $50-100
How did they pull this off?

Looking forward to your insights.

Regards
AJ

They can probably get everything but your dish account number by surfing the web. Talk to the Dish fraud dept. If you got the bank transfer number, it will help Dish chase them down and maybe stop it from happening to someone else.

...and the targeting of international programming customers is consistent with previous reports. Is there a separate international customer service division that could be the source of the leak of data?

I also got the same call yesterday.... they have deposited money in my dish account... I got an email and also logged into my account and verified it.... Now he wants me to send $500 to XYZ via Western Union....

I have been researching on this toc since yesterday....
GUESS WHAT........
I HAVE FOUND OUT this....

How can a guy know your User Id and Password to log in into your dish account...???
Welll very simple...
DISH WEBSITE is f....ked up...
When you click on forgot USER ID.... it will ask you many things...
But just enter your HOME PHONE and 16 digit A/C and your email ID on next screen.... and YOUR USER ID is filled into your SCREEN...

Now click forgot password...
Enter account number, phone number and email ID .... and YOU WILL BE ASKED to enter a NEW PASSWORD..

A...S...S.... WHOLE DISH..

So whtever you do.... anybody can hack your account... with small information.... they dont even need last 4 of SSN...
TRY FOR YOURSELF..

Someone from DISH.... are you reading ??

FOUND OUT... WHY DISH SCAMS ARE HAPPENING.... READ AND BE ALERT !!

I also got the same call yesterday.... ( Pay for 6 months and you will get 12 months DISH free ) ...
Now.... without much details.... let me explain main events below:

they have deposited money in my dish account... I got an email and also logged into my account and verified it.... Now he wants me to send $500 to XYZ via Western Union....

I have been researching on this toc since yesterday....
GUESS WHAT........
I HAVE FOUND OUT this....

How can a guy know your User Id and Password to log in into your dish account...???
Welll very simple...
DISH WEBSITE is f....ked up...
When you click on forgot USER ID.... it will ask you many things...
But just enter your HOME PHONE and 16 digit A/C and your email ID on next screen.... and YOUR USER ID is filled into your SCREEN...

Now click forgot password...
Enter account number, phone number and email ID .... and YOU WILL BE ASKED to enter a NEW PASSWORD..

A...S...S.... WHOLE DISH..

So whtever you do.... anybody can hack your account... with small information.... they dont even need last 4 of SSN...
TRY FOR YOURSELF..

Someone from DISH.... are you reading ??

Did you have to reset your password just as described above after they hacked in and changed your password?

Yikes. That's really shotty security on the website. When I click on forgot password it only requires one of the questions to be correct to reset password? That's not good. If you know the account number, phone number or receiver number then you've got both the login id and the password. That is Not good. There should never be one piece of information that will gain access to both.

So, if my account gets hacked and upgraded to bla bla bla, does that mean that dish get rid of the charges because their security is laxed?

You should keep the $500. Change your phone#, change password everyday for the next 2 weeks, change your email & pin.
Teach theses buggers a lesson.

Well you do have to know the account number, phone number and email to work this. They have to have scraped this up from somewhere.

It is shoddy security. At a minimum there should be a token emailed to the email address on record with a link to click to get to the password change screen. That way there is a secondary check of ownership of the account.

They have to know the account number, phone number and your email address to get this to work. I would change the phone number on the account and put a pin on the account and they will be stuck.

There is lots of scammers out there. Several years ago Dish gave HBO access to their database so they can have some call center in Pakistan call customers and try to upgrade them to HBO.

The pakistan call center also figured out how to change customer information and use it to scam Dish by calling existing customers and setup new accounts.

Your information is NOT safe with Dish. They got some major security issues with their system and are too dam cheap to pay to hire the right people big bucks to go in and fix it right.

BTW, over the years I have pointed out many security flaws in their system and helped them fix their problems.

Not anymore since they screwed me over, when I find issues with their system now I just look the other way.

Hi, I am sorry if your account was accessed in error by the people trying to perpetrate this scam against you. Can you please PM me and I will assist you in getting this issue reported and I will submit your feedback and concerns about the website security to our IT department. Thank you!

Part of the vulnerability stems from having overseas call centers. Yeah, yeah,I know the same thing could happen if all phone/web chat support was based in the US, but in the US the perpetrators would be charged with a crime under US laws if caught. I doubt Pakistani officials care too much about an American being ripped off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)