Free 100mbps/100mbps AT&T Fiber for ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) Qualifiers

So all these no caps providers, is that for all of their offerings or just the top of the line?
All their offerings.
I am guessing some areas, as still stuck in the "cap" thing and as long as everyone around them follows suit, everyone is good and can bank extra money.
or
In very large populated areas there is just not enough bandwidth on the backbone to handle all the people. So, it helps to mange that. I really don't know..........probably a combination of both.

Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it.

We're all paying for it.

Might as well get back as much of your money that the government has stolen from you as possible. I take every government handout I can get. But, in this instance, I don't think I can go back to 100/100 Mbps after experiencing 2 Gbps. This is my connection from AT&T now:

6YOyrjpm_o.png

$110/mo and no caps. AT&T actually over-provisions their speed tiers by 25%, so their 1 Gbps tier is actually 1.25 / 1.25 Gbps and their 2 Gbps tier is 2.5 Gbps / 2.5 Gbps.

They also have a 5 Gbps speed tier offering now, but at $180/mo it's too rich for my blood and you can't even benefit from the over-provision on that tier because they don't have any modems with ports faster than 5 Gbps and they don't allow you to use your own. So with their 5 Gbps speed tier, instead of getting the 6.25 Gbps / 6.25 Gbps speeds you could be getting, you are instead limited to just 4.7 Gbps / 4.7 Gbps.

2.5 Gbps -> 4.7 Gbps isn't worth the extra $70 a month in my book.

I cannot imagine that type of speed. I have to deal with pauses in movies I am streaming every day. I can get 50 mbps early, early in the morning then it falls to 10 to 15 mbps with breakups the rest of the day using an AT&T hotspot.

I cannot imagine that type of speed. I have to deal with pauses in movies I am streaming every day. I can get 50 mbps early, early in the morning then it falls to 10 to 15 mbps with breakups the rest of the day using an AT&T hotspot.
Considering my Roku's are 2.4ghz only and can't seem to get more than 70mbps over WiFi (I only run 20mhz on 2.4 for consideration of neighbors) my 100mbps is plenty. I started out with gig, then got 300, and now 100 and have yet to really notice any difference on the hardwired computers. Just takes a little longer to upload to youtube.

Huh? 5 ghz has, what, 153 channels compared to 11 on 2.4? What kind of consideration do the neighbors need? There is no reason not to run a 5 ghz network that I have ever heard.
Huh? I'm not even talking about my 5ghz network. I'm running 20mhz bandwidth on 2.4 as opposed to spectrum hogging 40mhz bandwidth on 2.4.

My 5ghz is running on DFS channel 100 at 80mhz bandwidth. No one else around has a commercial router with DFS support so I have the channel all to myself at full 80mhz bandwidth.

Also any time I've tested running 2.4ghz at 40mhz instead of 20mhz speed tests have shown to be the same or even slower due to all the interference.

Considering my Roku's are 2.4ghz only and can't seem to get more than 70mbps over WiFi (I only run 20mhz on 2.4 for consideration of neighbors) my 100mbps is plenty. I started out with gig, then got 300, and now 100 and have yet to really notice any difference on the hardwired computers. Just takes a little longer to upload to youtube.
I had serious streaming constraints on my Roku and couldn't tell why. Seemed to not get better than 15 Mbps, which is good for lots of stuff, but not a Plex account. Your 70 Mbps (hope it isn't 70 mbps, I mean that would be worse than the early 80s, and maybe not even possible ;) #AllCapitalsMatter) is pretty good. I overspent money on the wrong equipment when setting up my Plex stream setup on a RaspPi. I thought the Pi or hard drive was the issue, but it turned out that the Roku just couldn't manage the streaming speed! So I got a Roku that I could hardwire, and it works a lot better. My Fire stick has no trouble with the streaming speed.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts