Free Business Internet Basic Cable TV

Michael Calderwood

Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
With the business internet(Being used for home business in residential location), it comes with another line for free basic cable. I will be running this to a room in my house. Is there a way i can "upgrade" it to more channels, possibly with ondemand? What would the cost be? I need help! Thanks in advance.

If its Comcast to upgrade they will charge you full price if you go above the basic package. In addition Comcast BLOCKS on Demand from Business accounts (which I think sucks...)

I have Comcast Business service at my office.

is your account considered commercial or teleworker? that will determine your 'upgrade' eligibility, this will be on your bill or customer service can help. If you do have a comm account based at a residential address, call 1 800 391 3000 for help.

Thank you...just saw your post now.

I don't use a cable box from Comcast because I don't get the premium channels since I have business, as you have read above.. I plug my cable, instead of directly into the TV, into a generic sony dvr thats a few years old. It was working great - I got a channel guide and a DVR on Comcast with no extra fees.
But recently, Comcast in my area has upgraded to digital. Many of my channels disappeared, I can't use the guide anymore, and the channel numbers are now digital numbers; i.e. channel 2 is 84.3. I will order a free converter box to regain my channels (one of the DTA boxes).
I understand that the DTA boxes plug into your TV into the cable/coax input, not the type of input a DVD player would plug into.

So I was thinking, are there any set top boxes or DVD players (don't need to have a dvr) that have a cable input and a guide? It could be a DVD player, or one of those wifi set top boxes that allow you to access Netflix, etc..but one where I could also have my cable TV and guide.

Does anyone know of anything? And it can't be Tivo..something with no monthly fee.

the limited basic (lifeline) is still analog in most areas. The other thing you mention is called QAM

Here in Minneapolis anything above channel 23 you need the DTA box because its digital (think a basic OTA converter box). Its about the size of 2 decks of cards and hooks up to your TV. No guide option on it. My grandparents have one of them

Here the QAM channels are weird like 88.4 but the "OTA" stations do map as their OTA chanel and have a guide (at least on my TV it does) but the non map channels wont have a guide

Here in Connecticut they moved over to all digital. They will give you 2 covnverts at no charge on a business account. (But again on demand is blocked)

You can subscribe to higher packages if you want but again no on demand. :(

with clear QAM other than the company's cable box nothing else will give you a guide except maybe a Tivo but even then QAM channels usually dont have a guide (the analog channels should)

I know there is a Tivo that you can input a cable card in and use that but with lifeline that would be a moot point