"Free" installation :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Heah, I suppose that I should have known better than to expect everything for free.

Silly me, when I read "Free 5 room installation," I expected a free installation- funny, huh?

Anyway, installers come today; they start looking at the existing 10-year old wires (which have been split all to hell) as if they might actually <gasp> use them </gasp>. Naturally, I inquire (since I know better after doing research), and the response is: "This is your wiring that we will be using for your tvs (5-room setup)."

Shocked, I said, "you can't do that; you need new RG-6 coax to carry the signal from a dish...you'll have to run new wires for the "free installation."

They replied: "That is what is included in your free installation." Adding *ANY* new wires would be extra - about $30/room (not including wall fishing). So, the expected 0$ in my head rose to $150.

So, I called rapidsatellite and this was indeed the case - according to them. Is this true?

Well, there was no way that I was going to pay $150 + extras. After all, a main reason for switching to satellite was to get the free wiring done (Comcast, said that my whole house needed re-wired).

Anyways, I had them do a single "semi-fish" for $20, and that was it. I ended up having to re-wire everything myself (4 rooms), after running to home depot- the whole time thinking that I should have just stuck w/ comcast.

I guess I'm just trying to say (for those potential customers reading the forums) make sure you read/*understand* the small print better than I did.

Oh yeah, I can't get MANY channels - NO E!, FX, scifi, comedy central, ..., and any other good channel; it just says: "searching for signal".... I'm having the tech come back out tomorrow to investigate.

BTW, do you guys ever get used to the 3 digit channels?

You should have tried Value Electronics. Here is their version of a Pro Install:

Here's what a Standard Professional Installation includes:
Mounting and grounding the DIRECTV antenna dish on an exterior wall or roof of a single family house.

Installing up to 100 feet of RG-6 cable to the primary DIRECTV and additional receiver(s), when all receivers are installed and activated at time of establishing your DIRECTV account.

Running all coax cable(s) through one exterior and one interior wall. Attic, crawl space or interior wall fishing is negotiated with your installer and or his company.

Routing of cable through a standard wood frame structure or a single layer of masonry (max. 10").

Connecting primary and all additional DIRECTV receiver(s) to a phone jack, if receiver is within 25 feet of phone

VOOMER said:
I would say you have been had!

Free installation should cover 100 t0 125 ft per receiver .

Now if all of your wires had to be fished to every room that is different.

Are you saying they could not run outside even and enter all the rooms to your sets.
They where not supplying any coax to do a 5 room install ?

Heah, they barely had enough coax to get the 4 lines into the house, and run 5 lines to 5 receivers sitting on my table for the "call home."

VOOMER said:
from rapid satellite site>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Definition of Standard Professional Installation is:
  • Mount dish on an outside wall of the dwelling with appropriate hardware, within 100 feet cable length of TV.
  • Provide up to 100 feet of RG-6 cable.
  • Provide the hardware necessary to ground the satellite antenna.
  • Route all cables to the TV either through an exterior wall (frame or one layer of masonry) or from a basement.
  • Connect the receiver to an existing telephone jack (if available) in the same room with the supplied telephone wire.
  • Educate the consumer on system use and contact programmers for activation.
install_man.jpg
If you request or require anything above and beyond standard professional installation, such as additional receivers, extensive wiring, relocation of telephone jacks or special installation hardware or accessories, you will pay the installer for those additional services at the time of the installation. You and your installer should discuss any additional service requirements and costs prior to the start of the installation. Additional services for which you will pay the installer directly may include: second receiver installation, second television hook-up, stereo system hook-up, chimney mount, pole mount, additional coax cable run over 100', and wall fishing of coax cable.

This defninition is a bit vague; I've read it several times. All I needed was to have wires run to each room where this esentially meant up through a hole in the basement floor. And of course, they said this was not covered - that FREE INSTALLATION meant that they had to use my existing 59 wiring.

I called a rep at rapidsatellite when the installer was here, and they gave me the same answer. What should I do guys?

My take on the whole installation was that after 100 ft of cable was used up, I would then have to pay for any extra cable - this being the ONLY charge (the wiring to each room would still be free).

I called Eastern Video (the sub-contractor), and they said that a "Free installation" includes ONLY 100 ft of wiring. That is, after 100 feet is run, any additional wiring would require an extra rate of $60/hour along with the price of the equipment (coax) at cost.

I'm guessing this is why the tech wanted about $30 per room?

Anyways, I prob should not be complaining, as he probably did use 100 feet of RG-6 inside of the house: 4 receivers sitting on a table, each having a 10ft line to the multiswitch + about 40-50 feet of coax running to the one room where he did the "semi-fish" for $20.

On the outside of the house, with 4 cables run from the dish, we used up bettween 4 x 60ft (240ft) and 4 x 70ft (280ft) of coax.

So, in all, I guess I got about 340ft to 380ft of rg6 in my install free, along with 5 free receivers, free shipping, and a free dvd player that i'll get later.

I just wish the website(s) would have been more clear.

So, anytime you guys see:
"Provide up to 100 feet of RG-6 cable. "
you will have to interpret it as meaning any extra wiring beyond 100 ft will result in a $/hr fee along with equipment costs.

I would go through Expert Sat not Rapid Sat, talk to them on the phone about the install you need. THey will cover you the correct way.

Value Electronics also uses the higher tier of contractors for the installers.

Rapid sat uses cheaper contractors for there installs. Its all about the money.

Return it and reorder it.

Tonedeaf said:
Seems like someonw may have pissed him off?????? All of his posts, not just in this thread, show edit.
That would be me, and some other veterans. :cool:

He didn't like me correcting his bad info in a couple of threads. He even edited out the posts where I agreed with him. :no

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)