Free Preview Channel HD

RealisticDave

Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Arkansas
Can someone answer one question, please, regarding HD signals on the "Free Preview Channels" that DISH rotates every month. I've tried to get an answer from DISH tech support, but I guess my questions just aren't clear enough? Specifically, this month CBS College Sports---on channels HD152 and HD9495---are being shown free. I have the base DISH HD receiver (211K) and a VIZIO HDTV, but I don't currently subscribe to any HD programming. All my current programming comes in on satellites 110 and 119.

What I'd like to know is this: when DISH 'previews' an HD channel, such as the two above, is the signal I'm receiving a true HD signal, or am I simply seeing an SD signal, being broadcast on those two HD channel positions (HD152 and HD9495)? From what I've read doing a web search, some---but I'm not certain if all---HD channels come through on satellites 129 and 61, which my System Setup on the receiver doesn't show me receiving. Thus, if I'm not a subscriber to DISH HD packages, maybe I'm not able to receive an HD signal through my 211 receiver---even if the preview channel is an HD channel? Can someone clarify this for me? (My reason for this is to be able to compare an SD picture with an HD picture on my TV, so I can see if I feel it's worth upgrading my package.) Thanks.

I have a friend of mine who has 2 222k's for a 4 room SD install. No HD package on his account.

He has a Dish 1000 for 110/119/129 so he can get the transponders. Sure enough BIO HD and CI HD were showing up in his guide last week. I'm sure CBS C is showing up now.

So in your case you'll need the correct dish to get the HD signals, and of course use the component or HDMI cable from your receiver with the receiver set to 1080 output.

BTW, he also gets the HD locals with no issues since he subscribes to locals.

BTW... look for 5710 TEST. That channel should be on your receiver and it comes from 110. That is HD Theater and looks great. It will be in HD as long as you have the correct outputs setup on your recevier.

BTW... look for 5710 TEST. That channel should be on your receiver and it comes from 110. That is HD Theater and looks great. It will be in HD as long as you have the correct outputs setup on your recevier.

Digiblur, does this mean that HD Theater is available to everyone?

Thanks Digiblur

Thanks, that answers my question. I apparently don't have the correct satellite dish to receive 129, but I am able to receive channel 5710 (Test). If that comes through on satellite 110, then I can use that to do a 'compare' of an SD and HD picture on my TV. Again, thanks.

You really can't do a compare though since there is no SD version of that channel.

I can't stress enough...make sure you have it setup correctly for HD viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)