Free Previews Discussion Thread - September 2020

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Threads like these are the reason why we need to make sure that each month's Free Previews threads are made sticky:

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I have not confirmed this (since I am not actually receiving anything on the channel at the moment) so treat this as a rumor. There is a free preview of the new Gallery app (spin-off of the Dish Scapes channel) on channel 198, for the rest of the month of September. (Requires a receiver with the Hopper interface.)

The guide info on the right side of the screen says:
"New! Enjoy the Free Preview all September. Gallery by Dish Scapes has a variety of nature scenes, fine art & original DISH scapes. Regularly $5/month."

I have not confirmed this (since I am not actually receiving anything on the channel at the moment) so treat this as a rumor. There is a free preview of the new Gallery app (spin-off of the Dish Scapes channel) on channel 198, for the rest of the month of September. (Requires a receiver with the Hopper interface.)

The guide info on the right side of the screen says:
"New! Enjoy the Free Preview all September. Gallery by Dish Scapes has a variety of nature scenes, fine art & original DISH scapes. Regularly $5/month."
The mydish site was just updated to confirm the dates: 9/9 - 9/30
However, this is still not working properly on either my Hopper Duo or my sister's Wally.

• Wow
It is working on my H3.

Attachments

• PXL_20200910_003736860.jpg
    PXL_20200910_003736860.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 295
I finally checked my sister's Wally in person today. (She told me on the phone that it wasn't working yesterday after I asked her to check it.) The Gallery app is not even in her Apps Menu at all. I even tried minimizing it to the Apps Bar (since sometimes apps only show up in one place or the other, especially brand new apps that have just been launched) and it is not there either. She still got the error pop-up message every time she selected channel 198. Then, this afternoon, channel 198 completely disappeared from both her Wally and from my Hopper Duo. :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Gallery was in Test mode looking at the uplink. Apparently that test went live to many people but not all people. I see on this afternoon’s uplink that they did something with that uplink.

Gallery was in Test mode looking at the uplink. Apparently that test went live to many people but not all people. I see on this afternoon’s uplink that they did something with that uplink.
Yes, I just posted about that in the Dish Scapes thread. That is around the time that the channel disappeared. I am not sure exactly when it happened, because we were busy watching Netflix. Then, after exiting Netflix, I checked again and channel 198 had disappeared.

Maybe they figured out that they had receivers enabled for the test that shouldn’t have been enabled and they fixed that this afternoon.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Maybe they figured out that they had receivers enabled for the test that shouldn’t have been enabled and they fixed that this afternoon.
Well, that would be the question. Are viewers using a Hopper 3 or any other model of Hopper or Joey (where we have already confirmed that the app works properly, based on other posts in this thread) still seeing channel 198? In other words, was it only taken away from the Hopper Duo and Wally models? Even so, Dish needs to clarify their advertising. On the Free Previews page on their website MyDISH there is a note about the Gallery preview that says:
¹ Gallery by DISH scapes requires a Hopper. Some content is limited to internet-connected Hoppers.

That page also still lists the channel number as 198. So, it seems that they need to specify that a Hopper Duo does not count as a "Hopper." Also, it is weird that the app works properly on Joeys, but not on the Wally, since neither type of receiver is specifically listed as being compatible with the app.

This was posted in the No Discussion thread. I'll still report it, but I liked it so much that I will also move it here:
This should be FREE!!! C'mon! Do you really need us to pay $5 a month for this. Do something nice for subscribers!
I was just about to say that I would settle for Dish getting it to work properly on Hopper Duo and Wally, when someone from Dish started a private conversation with me. They confirmed that the app is not supposed to work on Wally, but I am working with them to try to get it working on my Hopper Duo. I'll update here later with any new developments on that.

Now, back to nyrfan1's post quoted above. Of course, the regularly-scheduled linear Dish Scapes channel 199 is still free, as always. Apparently, Dish really does need the money. Remember what they did to the Dish Scape to promote Shark Week? So, if it were not for this premium version of the channel, the free Dish Scape would likely always be turned into a paid advertisement, in order to pay for the service. I think that I would prefer the ad-free version. That's just me, though.

Reactions: papachops
I got the app working on my Hopper Duo. It still does not show up on channel 198, though. That channel is not in my guide at all, not even on the All Channels or All Unsubscribed lists. So, Dish is looking into that part to see what the issue may be. At least I can access the Gallery now. It is still a shame that this will not work on Wally, though.

From what I have seen of the new Gallery, it is much more than the animated scenes we have been seeing on channel 199. There are many live action scenes to be had as well. It is quite a cornucopia of scenes that can be very relaxing to watch. Is it worth $5 a month to use it? That only you can answer...

Reactions: pattykay
From what I have seen of the new Gallery, it is much more than the animated scenes we have been seeing on channel 199. There are many live action scenes to be had as well. It is quite a cornucopia of scenes that can be very relaxing to watch. Is it worth $5 a month to use it? That only you can answer...
This seems to be a replacement for the streaming NatureVision channel that Dish used to carry on channel 600-50, that they recently removed:

New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
26474 INFO Info Channel added to SVOD (50002) (SVOD Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) DRM – Subchannel Mapdown 600-50

Uplinks Removed
26474 NATVS removed from SVOD (50002) (SVOD Hidden)

I used to get that channel for free, included in my International Basic subscription, which is the bare minimum package required for Dish service. Now, I do not even get the INFO channel uplinked to replace it, which likely would have explained why it was removed. It had been awhile since I last activated any Dish receiver that is capable of receiving the streaming channels. So for all I know, NatureVision could have already been removed from International Basic long before Dish stopped carrying the channel entirely. The Gallery app is a nice replacement, as long as it is free. I also do not think that I would spend the money to keep it any longer than that.

I am getting Bloomberg TV channel 203. Not a part of the Flex Pack, but it’s not listed on the free preview channel 103. Anyone know what’s up with it?

I am getting Bloomberg TV channel 203. Not a part of the Flex Pack, but it’s not listed on the free preview channel 103. Anyone know what’s up with it?
It's been discussed in the thread I linked back in post number 2. Apparently, this is part of some type of Loyal Customer Bonus Pack that Dish authorized on certain individual subscribers' accounts. So, not a free preview, since not everyone gets it. I certainly am not getting it. Even different subscribers with the same programming package as each other may not necessarily both get it. So, if you are one of the subscribers who does get Bloomberg with a package that does not normally include it, then consider yourself lucky. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)