Free Previews

That is a possibility Bobby, I will have her check. Thanks! Is that somewhere in settings or is there a setting in the guide? Don't have a 211 here.
On the remote, hit the Guide button twice. That will bring up a screen that will show you how you are set up now and give you the opportunity to change it. To see the SD channels you must select All Channels.

Ok tried that and no difference. Also went into menu preferences and changed from HD to HD and SD. No joy. Went through the list of free preview channels with her and she is getting everything except 186 and 222. Not a big deal she is just going to live with the channels she is getting, more than she can watch anyway. Thanks for the assistance.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
On the remote, hit the Guide button twice. That will bring up a screen that will show you how you are set up now and give you the opportunity to change it. To see the SD channels you must select All Channels.
Menu > Preferences > Favorites Lists
Here, there is a Guide Selection setting. If that setting is set for Guide Popup, then the guide will behave the way Bobby described. If it is set for Guide Button, then pressing the guide button again will automatically cycle you through the favorites lists without bringing up the popup. If you want to prevent the favorites list from accidentally being changed (to My HD Channels, for example) it is a good idea to change that setting to Guide Popup. My Channels will also work to see any subscribed or free SD channels, assuming the Guide Format > Channel Preference is set for HD & SD. (In fact, even if you leave the guide set on All Channels, it will default back to My Channels the next time you go into the guide.)

Ok tried that and no difference. Also went into menu preferences and changed from HD to HD and SD. No joy. Went through the list of free preview channels with her and she is getting everything except 186 and 222. Not a big deal she is just going to live with the channels she is getting, more than she can watch anyway. Thanks for the assistance.
Channel 222 (France 24 English) does have a four-digit channel number 9864. That channel may require the 118 satellite, though. My deactivated 512 (which also gets the free preview channels, and is hooked up to the entire Western Arc including 118) sees France 24 English on that channel number, but does not show channel 222 in the guide at all, even when I am on the All Chan list. It does have Hallmark Drama on channel 186, though.

Reactions: david_jr
Just wondering if anybody else who has the Welcome Pack is experiencing this.

According to the free preview site, CNN has been extended to April 30 and Fox News is supposed to be gone.

But I'm still getting Fox News here and CNN is removed (in green on my T.V. Guide). Is that what you guys are seeing too?

There have been no uplinks today involving Fox News, so that one seems to be safe for now. There were two sets of uplinks involving CNN. The first uplink this morning was presumably to extend the preview. However, there was a second uplink early this afternoon, seeming to reverse the changes from this morning. Having said that, I checked my sister's receiver with Welcome Pack shortly after that second change was posted, and she still had both Fox News and CNN.

Reactions: Tecmo SB Guy
If they keep adding free previews they'll have to add a 2nd page. Why can't Dish be like the insurance companies and give the people that are paying for the channels in free preview a rebate back. It's only for two months.;)
I agree that Dish needs to add more room for all of the previews on the preview page of their website. That was my motivation for starting the No Discussion Thread, to prove that it is possible to keep track of all of these previews each month, and list them all in the same place. At the very least, Dish should bring back the section that used to announce upcoming free previews, as soon as it is possible for them to do so. I had already speculated about the timing of a possible Starz Encore free preview. However, if it had not been for my educated guess, that preview (which started today) would have completely blind-sided me.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Yeah. Hey crodrules....how about leaving a link to THIS forum at the bottom of every post you make on the "non-discussion" page?
I actually have another idea about that. Starting next month, I will also do a monthly Free Previews Discussion Thread, to replace this thread as a sticky. This is a rather old thread, dating back to 2012, with 651 posts (including this one). I think it is about time to replace it with a more topical thread each month. That way, the sticky thread discussion will reflect the only the current free previews, rather than being a (partial) historical list of old previews and discussion about them.

I actually have another idea about that. Starting next month, I will also do a monthly Free Previews Discussion Thread, to replace this thread as a sticky. This is a rather old thread, dating back to 2012, with 651 posts (including this one). I think it is about time to replace it with a more topical thread each month. That way, the sticky thread discussion will reflect the only the current free previews, rather than being a (partial) historical list of old previews and discussion about them.
10-4 (ancient CB language)

The Disney XD one sort of ticks me off, since I had just added Latino Bonus Pack for $10 per month specifically to get that channel. Now, it is free for one month, so there was no need to actually spend that $10. I could go ahead and drop Latino Bonus Pack, but then Dish would still charge me a $5 Programming Change Fee (plus the partial-month charge for the days of Latino Bonus Pack I have already received) for dropping it less than a month after adding it. So, rather than pay that much in fees for no additional programming, I will just keep Latino Bonus Pack and pay the full $10. I am sure that I can find enough to listen to on the SiriusXM and Dish CD channels to make it worth the cost. I just wish that the Disney XD preview had been announced in advance, instead of after the fact, so I could have planned for it. :mad: I am glad on behalf of everyone else who is getting this channel for free, though. :)
Disney XD has now been extended until 5/29. I have had Latino Bonus Pack for more than a month, so there would now be no penalty for dropping it. So, it looks like I get to save $10 this month. Thanks, Dish! :happydance

May 2020's threads have now been posted, and are ready to be made sticky.

Someone needs to move this thread to history or where ever old dogs go to die.
That's what I have been saying! All that really needs to happen is for this thread to be de-stickied, and then it will just go down to the list with the regular threads. I would post the link to this month's thread, but there is not much point in that now, since it is the end of the month, and I will just be starting new threads (Discussion and Non-Discussion) tomorrow anyway. (I purposely did not post that link in this thread at the beginning of the month, in the hope that if there were no further replies in this thread, it would just die on its own after awhile.)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts