Free service on Sportster receiver

hmjs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
United States
Between my son and I we have two Sportster receivers that have been deactivated for quite a while. I was getting ready to list them on ebay and thought I
would see if they still worked. Well, they both worked and receive all the channels. Anyone know why?

Howard

When you activate or deactivate a tuner, it needs to be powered and have los to the sats to turn on or turn off a tuner.

Sirius/XM will send turn off commands for a couple of weeks or months after the tuner is turned off, just in case the tuner doesn't see the first time command. Then Sirius/XM will stop sending the turn off signal.

When you had the tuner deactivated, either it did not have power or los. And the tuner may stay on permanently because Sirius/XM quit sending the turn off signal while the tuner was stored away.

The Pioneer XM tuner in my car is permanently on because it did not have power when I had it turned off. Two years later in 09, when I got the car powered up and going again, the XM tuner was on, and its still is on today.

When my dad got a new 2011 GMC truck, it came with a three month free trial. I disconnected the tuner before the trial period ended. I left it disconnected for a few months. It is now connected and is on.

Last edited:
I still have a Xact Visor and Sportster 4 with service even though I canceled both 3 years ago. I seldom take them out of the closet so they probably missed the deactivate signals.

I have a Sportster also. It was unplugged in the drawer for about 6 months. I plugged it back in and it worked for about 1 month and, out-of-the-blue, it cut off and had the 'you are not subscribed to this channel' message. DOH! So I called, told them I wanted to subscribe but couldn't afford full price and asked if they had any deals. (Prior to cutting it off, I had been subscriber for several years, always paid on time, etc.) and they gave me the family package for 50% off. (Think the full year was $70-something plus tax).