Free to air & International TV Stations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TechieJustin

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Hi folks!
A while back I joined in the hope of getting a satellite dish setup to receive European or otherwise international stations.
Life happened and that was put on the back burner.
So here I am again!
I think I can get ahold of a Dish500 or similar size dish fairly cheap.

However, I want to make sure I can even point the dish at some birds with international stations. I'm in Reading, Pennsylvania, and if I remember correctly my options were limited the last time I asked.

get a bigger dish, it MAY work with some stronger tps on some sats if u change the lnb to a linear

You may want to look into a FTA "bundle" Dish and LNBF. It will be hard to find a LNB that fits DISH or DTV dishes cheap and works well. Now if you can find an old Channel Master from a closed store or other business, that would make an excellent dish. Look at one of our site sponsers stuff like Satellite AV. A GloryStar system switched into FTA mode would be a good start too.

Justin,

Welcome back.
When I started cold in this hobby two years ago, I posted a request to visit someones home and see what they were doing. One member, Skyscanner, invited me to come see, he was only 25 miles away, and graciously showed me around.
There are several members from P.A. that might be able to do the same for you. Post a new thread asking for P.A. members. Oh yes, the best stuff is on C-band. Need 8ft or larger.

Justin,

Welcome back.
When I started cold in this hobby two years ago, I posted a request to visit someones home and see what they were doing. One member, Skyscanner, invited me to come see, he was only 25 miles away, and graciously showed me around.
There are several members from P.A. that might be able to do the same for you. Post a new thread asking for P.A. members. Oh yes, the best stuff is on C-band. Need 8ft or larger.

8 feet is way too big. The largest I would want to go is around 30 inches, give or take.
So attaching a FTA LNB to a Dish 500 can't be done? Is there some sort of replacement holder I could get?

Also, I'm on a restricted budget...
What about this? This is pretty close to me. Would I be able to pull that LNB and replace it with something else?
Portable Satellite Dish Direct TV stand

You're just gonna waste your time and your limited funds trying to mod anything smaller than a superdish. That, or an old PrimeStar, you might be able to find for free. I'm still using the old PrimeStar I scavenged years ago, with the linear LNBF that came with it.

You're just gonna waste your time and your limited funds trying to mod anything smaller than a superdish. That, or an old PrimeStar, you might be able to find for free. I'm still using the old PrimeStar I scavenged years ago, with the linear LNBF that came with it.

The Superdish is 36" right? If a find a 36" for dirt cheap, would that be worth it? What is the smallest dish I could get away with?

TechieJustin,

For K/u band a minimum of 36".. and for C band a minimum of 6', .... 10' is much better for C band, with a proper LNBF you could also use the 6' to 10' dish for a combined C and K/u band setup.

You will need a 36" dish to receive and view K/u band satellites.... I hope this help.

TechieJustin,

For K/u band a minimum of 36".. and for C band a minimum of 6', .... 10' is much better for C band, with a proper LNBF you could also use the 6' to 10' dish for a combined C and K/u band setup.

You will need a 36" dish to receive and view K/u band satellites.... I hope this help.

Gotcha, I think I better save my money and do this project properly.
Until then, I'll rely on Youtube and Euronews' streaming video for international news! :)

Thanks, I'll be back!
(don't delete my account for lack of activity)

I use a modified Dish 500 right now for the CCTV channels on 95w and Azteca on 93w. The dish is pointed right in between both satellites and does really well except when heavy snow sticks to the dish and then the channels pixelate. I used to have this dish on 30w and it did really well there but in heavy rain I would lose half the channels. The Cuban channels with the movies always came in though. On 97w where most of the international channels are I could barely get half of them on a clear day with this small of a dish.

I have pictures if you want to see the modifcation. Very easy to do if you buy a bracket off of ebay.

My 34" dish and LNB combo were $60 incl shpg. A couple years ago. Yes I got a great deal. There is a 36" on ebay for $99 bucks. I'll give you a decent linear LNB

Check craigslist and other places for used stuff, i got a fortec dish and lnb and coolsat 6100 for 50.00
I have also seen some dishes and recievers posted for free.
it will take time but keep looking, most of the time it pays off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)