FreeHD Canada - New proposed satellite service has applied to the CRTC for a licence

QCK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
c/p from FreeHD Canada :

FreeHD Canada Inc. is a new Canadian Direct-to-Home satellite
company that has developed a unique offering for the Canadian
marketplace. FreeHD Canada plans to offer a superior High
Definition TV offering (more HD channels, better quality, less price)
to consumers across Canada.

FreeHD Canada has applied to the CRTC for a licence, and is seeking
approval to launch its service in early 2011. By utilizing the latest
new technologies, FreeHD Canada is able to provide more than
200 channels of superior picture quality HD into consumer homes via
a small inexpensive satellite dish. We will be offering two packages
to consumers:

Free ‘Local Program Package’
For consumers that are used to receiving a few local channels ‘off-air’ from an antenna, FreeHD Canada will offer
a free ‘Local Program Package’ of 15-20 Canadian television channels from within their region – in HD as they
become available – and free to any consumer with a FreeHD Canada receive system (dish and set-top box).
‘All Access Package’
For consumers who want better TV (more HD channels – and with better picture quality) at a better price,
FreeHD Canada will offer up to 150 of the Canadian Pay and Specialty channels – available in HD as they
launch – in this package. FreeHD Canada will offer 2-3 times as many HD channels as its competitors.
The All Access Package will be very competitively priced – enough that we think many consumers will be very enticed.

end of c/p

There is talk of up to 250 channels all in HD @ 1080p, now that is very appealing! :rolleyes: Maybe it will give Bell TV and Shaw Direct a wakeup call to get their act together on expanding their bandwidth sooner. One can only hope...

I wonder if they will utilize spot beams for the local program package. This is something many people in the northern tier of the US could take advantage of. I am willing to bet they would *wink wink* sell equipment to Americans buying in store.

Also, maybe shaw direct and Bell will stop these price hikes

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if it ever sees the light of day. Launching and operating satellites isn't cheap. Neither is the overhead of running a sat service or the amount of fees they need to pay to networks.

They'll need a ton of investment capital, and they're not likely to get that in the current economy.

Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.

The world are full of people that says it can't be done

Wheel!!!???.......it will never work :p

I think an all HD satellite company can work, take Voom for instance................oh, oh yeah :(

I think an all HD satellite company can work, take Voom for instance................oh, oh yeah :(

Exactly. His business model is a loser for sure. And since he is a satellite veteran, he knows that. It begats the question "What is his real business plan?"

One of the problems with Voom was they came out too early, so there were not enough people with HD and there was not enough HD programming available. What differentiates this possible venture is that in Canada, although consumers have HD equipment, there are only a handful of broadcast stations outside of the big cities (TO, Montreal, Vancouver) with OTA. I have a feeling they want to tap into CRTC's local TV fund to provide their "free" service, thereby allowing stations to greatly reduce their cash outlay for the Digital transition in 2011.

One of the problems with Voom was they came out too early, so there were not enough people with HD and there was not enough HD programming available. What differentiates this possible venture is that in Canada, although consumers have HD equipment, there are only a handful of broadcast stations outside of the big cities (TO, Montreal, Vancouver) with OTA. I have a feeling they want to tap into CRTC's local TV fund to provide their "free" service, thereby allowing stations to greatly reduce their cash outlay for the Digital transition in 2011.

Here's my take. Too make it work, make it available to a wider audience.
If they sell to the Americans as well. It just might work.

I would gladly have more HD...24HRS of HD-Channels dediacted to only HD content.
Id sign up immediatley.

Voom had something going for it. Your right that they were ahead of thier time.
If they came out now-I think it would work.
Too bad they did not hold off on shutting down-Hd is taking off.

Here's my take. Too make it work, make it available to a wider audience.
If they sell to the Americans as well. It just might work.

Well, granted a spot location beam would work in the northern US, but considering we're talking about Canadian content, how many Americans are likely to clamor for all that Canadian programming even if it is in HD. Yeah, I know, with no Voom many Americans would love the opportunity to buy into an all HD station but for it to work, they'd have to be showing the American HD versions of thinks like HBO and Showtime and various other HD channels we already have in the U.S. or people aren't going to take it seriously here. But, the moment they start carrying more American HD content the CRTC is gonna say "No" because of content rules. Thank goodness we in the U.S. don't have any restriction on what we watch or where it comes as long as we pay for it through proper channels. Not so in Canada where a certain percentage of all programming must be classified as Canadian content. Of course, all a Canadian broadcaster has to do is foot a portion of the production costs for some foreign production and >poof< the content is Canadian! Because Doctor Who is ever so Canadian! :)

Ignoring the states? Why?

Well, granted a spot location beam would work in the northern US, but considering we're talking about Canadian content, how many Americans are likely to clamor for all that Canadian programming even if it is in HD. Yeah, I know, with no Voom many Americans would love the opportunity to buy into an all HD station but for it to work, they'd have to be showing the American HD versions of thinks like HBO and Showtime and various other HD channels we already have in the U.S. or people aren't going to take it seriously here. But, the moment they start carrying more American HD content the CRTC is gonna say "No" because of content rules. Thank goodness we in the U.S. don't have any restriction on what we watch or where it comes as long as we pay for it through proper channels. Not so in Canada where a certain percentage of all programming must be classified as Canadian content. Of course, all a Canadian broadcaster has to do is foot a portion of the production costs for some foreign production and >poof< the content is Canadian! Because Doctor Who is ever so Canadian! :)

Great Post!
I wonder why the CRTC is so strict? I would think if they openned up their system to their southern neibors it would mean more revenue? Right?

I, for one, have had shaw(Starchoice) I really dont mind a Candian slant. Its different. Its interesting to see a window of how the rest of the world sees us.
Sometimes not so flattering.

I have since discontinued shaw because not enough programming that I wanted.
I did try endlessly to have Bell but the signal was to spotty down here in South Florida.

I just dont get it. Bell simply ignores the US market. Maybe someone can explain why? To me it makes zero sense.

We have a large Canadian market down here. Im sure there are tons of transplanted Candians all over the states that would love to have Bell.

Why would Bell Ignor that??

Bell ignores the US market because they can't sell there, simple as that. Ditto for any other Canadian service including FreeHD, if it ever comes to pass.

-Mike

Bell cant sell to the US market because the barred in doing so?
As well as all Canadian Sat cos?
Canadian Satellite companies can sell in the U.S., but in order to do so, they have to do the following:
1) negoicate (and pay) for the rights to transmit their channels in the U.S.
2) blackout any programming on carried channels that do not have U.S. rights for those programs (ie. spongbob on YTV or Little Bear on Treehouse, since Nick has the U.S. rights for those). Not to mention ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox programming on CTV/Global.

Both of those pretty much kill any chance of them selling thier programming in the U.S.

It has to do with rules set out by the FCC in the States and the CRTC in Canada. In
Canada the programming has to have a certain percentage of Canadian content......etc. etc. etc.
Essentially there are rules and regulations which make it illegal for those services to be sold out of country. For years there have been gray areas and to some degree there still are. To some, if the provider is being paid for their service and nobody is loosing revenue because of it, then I don't see a problem with it.
It's not Bell ignoring that market it's a matter of laws and probably politics.

It has to do with rules set out by the FCC in the States and the CRTC in Canada. In
Canada the programming has to have a certain percentage of Canadian content......etc. etc. etc.
Essentially there are rules and regulations which make it illegal for those services to be sold out of country. For years there have been gray areas and to some degree there still are. To some, if the provider is being paid for their service and nobody is loosing revenue because of it, then I don't see a problem with it.
It's not Bell ignoring that market it's a matter of laws and probably politics.

I suspect the problem is the Canadian content provision. US and Mexico have a bilateral agreement providing extensive cross border satellite programming but US/Canada does not.

This excerpt from the US/Mexico agreement is probably the reason .

ARTICLE VI.

1. In order for DTH-FSS and BSS services to be economically viable, neither Party shall impose significant restrictions on the amount or origin of advertising and program content. In this regard, the following key principles shall apply:

1.1 Any requirements for domestic program content and/or education and public
interest programming should be limited to a modicum of the total program
channels of these multi-channel DTH~FSS and BSS systems. Any such
requirements may be met on a system-wide basis, that is, they do not need to be

met on a per-channel basis......

So, then, here is the question that has plagued me for years:

I have a rental in Rimouski, QC. If I had a roof antenna there, I would get zero programming from the US. But if I subscribe to Cogeco Cable, or Shaw, or Bell, almost anything available in the US is provided via those services, legally.

Yet at my home in Arizona, if I were to ask Cox Cable, or Dish, or DirecTV to add Canadian programming they'd have a hundred reasons why they couldn't/wouldn't do so. The only way to solve the problem, then, is to come in through the back door using a brokered Shaw account.

Why?

So, then, here is the question that has plagued me for years:

I have a rental in Rimouski, QC. If I had a roof antenna there, I would get zero programming from the US. But if I subscribe to Cogeco Cable, or Shaw, or Bell, almost anything available in the US is provided via those services, legally.

Yet at my home in Arizona, if I were to ask Cox Cable, or Dish, or DirecTV to add Canadian programming they'd have a hundred reasons why they couldn't/wouldn't do so. The only way to solve the problem, then, is to come in through the back door using a brokered Shaw account.

Why?
Because more people in Canada want to watch American programming than people in the U.S. want to watch Canadian programming. Therefore Canadian distributors get agreements to carry American programming, and U.S. distributors (except for Cable companies located near the border) don't bother.

Correct.
Most Americans have zero interest in Canadian programming or programming providers

There is no market for it here.

That being said, my friends and family have no idea they are happily watching Canadian programming/Sat provider until they see a obvious Canadian commercial. Then they get this confused look in their face :p

Last edited:
Correct.
Most Americans have zero interest in Canadian programming or programming providers

There is no market for it here.

I can understand that the market may be somewhat small.....but with all the Canadian winter visitors and with all the Americans that subscribe to Bell/Shaw via various devious means.....:confused:

Yet I've had cable companies in towns in New Hampshire, where I formerly lived, tell me that there were FCC/CRTC rules that PREVENTED them from providing Canadian content, even if they wanted to, due to the fact that they were located too far away from the source of the programming.

Likewise, when a Dish or DirecTV hawker comes to my door, I scare them away by asking them if they provide any Canadian content, and their reply is normally something like "um....er......we CAN'T do that". It de-fuses their sales pitch in a hurry, as they haven't prepared a comeback for that question......;)

Am I getting too far off topic.....?

While there may be more demand for Canadians to view U.S. programming, isn't there also an advantage for the Canadians in that if a service is launched there and some people in the U.S. want to view the programming, that since the population is greater in the U.S. than Canada, that they would have a larger gathering than just the Canadians vs. if someone just launched the service in the U.S. and getting some Canadian viewers? I guess we have Mexico as well that could view the satellite footprint since we are in the middle.