Freeway Support still in business?

Am new to this site. Turned Tv on last night and BEV programing had disappeared which I had been obtaining through Freeway Support. Had tried calling them (as others have done) and get nothing but busy signal. Does anyone know what happened to them? I am assuming the worst (had CanAm previously). Any suggestions?

I haven't heard anything that can be substantiated. I've tried Google searches and found nothing except a two-year-old post (from this forum) about their being sued. I'm not sure if any of that information was ever substantiated. Nothing yet on the one of the American provider's websites that lists individuals that they're pursuing for various infractions.

I have offered, on this forum, to send your contact info to my current broker (see post #13); for your particular case, I should say that I don't know if my broker deals with Bell accounts.

In any case, the Freeway situation seems to be reaching epidemic proportions.....

Thanks for the information. Talked to Freeway around September 1 when they asked whether I wanted to renew football package (which they did) but they never charged my card after that which is the good news I guess. Trying to decide what to do as I am getting sick of buying receivers every two years.

Have another quick question. Does anyone think my receivers have been shut off from lack of payment by Freeway and might still be good to use?

Have another quick question. Does anyone think my receivers have been shut off from lack of payment by Freeway and might still be good to use?

I've been told that Freeway's records are assumed to have been seized, thus all receivers paid for through Freeway will eventually be blacklisted if they aren't already. This also implies that Bell/Shaw will assume that anyone trying to reauthorize one of those receivers is a broker or otherwise not a qualified subscriber, with all the potential difficulties/consequences that entails. Short answer: it's time for new equipment.

Bell seems to be migrating toward Canada-only beams, so it's just a matter of time before a switch to Shaw, or a huge dish, will be needed. Freeway's demise has just pushed that equipment purchase back a few years.

My experience

I used these guys for several years, and had frequent problems. I quit my Starchoice service for a couple years, and recently decided to resume it. I found out my receiver was blacklisted thanks to Freeway and their practices. I now operate my Shaw Direct system without a broker, using a friends Canadian address. I also had to buy a new receiver since my old one is now a doorstop.

I am an old Freeway customer who is lucky that it is still working. During the summer while in Halifax, I bought a new model 9241 at Best Buy. This receiver has never been activated. Today, I called Ku-Sat to set up a new broker account. They said that I had to buy a receiver from them at a cost of $195. Was told that I couldn't use my new receiver because if I went with Ku-Sat, I had to use a receiver from their inventory. I thought I had read in this forum about Ku-Sat working with people who wanted to use their existing equipment. Also, they told me that I had to be able to pick up both the 91 & 82 sat before anything would work. I can only get 91 from where I live. Has always worked fine, just no HD. So, now if I go with Ku-Sat, I will have a worthless receiver that I bought for $400. Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:
I also used freeway for a number of years for Star Choice -Shaw. It was kind of strange in that the English networks from Toronto and the French networks from Montreal remained as subscribed channels for about a month and half and only recently have changed to N/S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts