Fresh DISH install, some problems...

Moderno

Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Hello everyone, I just had a DISH install this morning and had a couple of questions for you guys. We went with a 522 as well as an HD receiver for our main room. My first question is this, do the HD channels broadcast everything in HD? Because as I was looking at it, it really didnt look as if tho it was HD. Or do I have to wait for a program that is "broadcast in HD". This HD stuff has always confused me lol. The HD receiver was originally connected to the TV with the R,G,B looking plugs, as well as the L, R audio. On the HD channels it didnt look all that great and actually kinda grainy, I tried setting the different zoom levels on the TV as well as the receiver, no avail. So I tried switching the connection to an S-Video, and that didnt really seem to make a difference. Where is this great HD picture that I once saw at Good Guys!!!

Secondly, Our 522 is located downstairs, what the installer did was run the cable from the dish directly to the 522, then ran an output on the 522 into the existing cabling via a walljack. I guess this was supposed to feed the rest of the house, but when we plugged in our TV upstairs into the walljack, it looked extremely grainy, wiggling the cable connected to the wall would change the quality of the picture greatly. I cant beleive that its the walljack or the existing cabling however, because its a fairly new house, less than 7 years. I guess using our existing cabling would be cool tho, because every other room in the house with a TV could simply plug into the wall and borrow one of the 522's remotes.

Lastsly, the 2nd 522 remote is controlling our HD receiver and vice versa, I suppose I will have to call support for that.

I hope to overcome these small obstacles and enjoy a crisp HD expereince. Any help from you guys here would be great! Thanks.

first question about broadcasting every thing in HD is NO

second question it could be rg59 wire if he used the old wire.

third question you can change the remote address. consult your user manual and it will tell you how to change addresses.

the only thing you will see in true HD are shows that were shot in HD

HD is not a miracle maker ,turning all shows into HD pix if the show was not shot in hd you are not watching hd

end of story

Moderno said:
... The HD receiver was originally connected to the TV with the R,G,B looking plugs, as well as the L, R audio. On the HD channels it didnt look all that great and actually kinda grainy, I tried setting the different zoom levels on the TV as well as the receiver, no avail. So I tried switching the connection to an S-Video, and that didnt really seem to make a difference. Where is this great HD picture that I once saw at Good Guys!!!
You didn't say what HD receiver you have, so this is generic. You won't get that great picture using S-video or RGB. You need to hook up to the YPrPb connections on the receiver and TV, or to the DVI/HDMI ports. Once you've done that set your TV video source to match.

Ahh I see, so I will probably just have to wait around for something in HD, like a sports game on TNT or something. I was also wondering if I get the same picture quality using the YPbPr cable, as I would with a DVI cable? Is DVI vastly superior?

The HD receiver is the 811. I guess that answers my question on the cabling issue =). thanks.

You got a standard piss poor install from your FREE install any installer worth his salt should have changed the remote addresses so they didn't conflict. He also should have checked reception on connected TVs. I would complain to DISH and get the system working correctly. You shouldn't have to correct problems after the PROFESSIONAL instal.

I think the poor quality on the HD channels is because the 811 comes set to 720p, which is total crap. On the 811 Press menu 6-1-9 and change it to 1080i. Then watch some of the content on HDNet and it should look great.

The Conflicting remotes is a common problem that installers do not do on an install. (Mine didn't do it either)

Basically What you do is on the 522 press the sys info button on the remote, highlight the TV2 address.
Hold the SAT key on the TV2 remote.
Enter another number besides one (like 3)
Press #
Then press record.
The number on the receiver should change from 1 to 3.

AS far as the backfeed and picture quality issue. I would quess that the installer did'nt change the barrels or the fittings on the wall plates. I'm guessing you have a bad connection at the wall plate. i,e. worn out barrel connector. Also on the backfeed of the 522 How many T.V.s is it connected to? If it's connected to a splitter, could be a bad splitter distrupting the back feed. Most installers won't check existing fittings and wallplates when they use them.

Like the one above me said it could be a bad conn. in the wall plate, I have been an installer for years. I have seen a lot of very new houses with the wall jacks wrong, not all electrcians, but a lot don't know how to put the conn. on properly, or don't care. I have had to re-do hundreds that were even RG-6 and good cable but very very poor terminations.

korsjs said:
first question about broadcasting every thing in HD is NO

Actually some, for example WCBS-DT, broadcast EVERYTHING in HD. Of course they are using sh!tty upconverted 480i source material for most of the day, so it doesn't really look any better.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I assume that you do know that the 811 is set to 480p by default since you don't know how to change the remote address. I would check the output rez and then tune to HDNet or the HD demo channel. you should see a big diff, if not call e*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)