Friday Fun Pol

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Do you end up buying more than what you went in for?

• YES

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • NO

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
Well after stopping by a local sat shop for a box of cable, I ended up buying another receiver, the Coolsat 6000 because the price was just too good and a lot of people here rave about them. I didn't need it, or even have a use for it at the moment, but I will find a use.

So I thought, since it's Friday, how about a Friday fun poll. When you go to pick up some satellite parts, do you endup walking out of the store with more than you initally went in for? For me, I always have to have extra parts...:rolleyes:

I've never been to a satellite store, we don't have them around here but I shop for stuff online and when I do I usually make a big order to try and take advantage of shipping one order. And yes, I do go overboard....might as well get some cable, of course that is no good without connectors, maybe a new lnbf, and I too have been known to buy satellite stuff I don't really have a need for but get "just in case" a need should arise.:D

Most places are not like Ontario, I guess the large international population and tv pirate population provides a big market for satellite stores with FTA receivers.

yes

I generally buy on line, and will have to agree with Starman, chapter 'n verse! - :rolleyes:

eg: the recent C-band LNBF purchase. Who in hell would need six? - :eek:
Couple of years ago, I got a six-pack of Sky Mexico Universal Ku LNBf's (they were only cheap if you bought enough) ;)

Last year, . . .
I got a bandstacked B1 C-band LNBF from Sadoun that I didn't have a dish for.
I got a dual band CK-1 LNBF from SatelliteAV that I didn't have a dish for.
. . . because if there's a sale and you don't buy, then you're a fool if you need it later! - :D

And when I buy from Geeks.com, I generally start out with $6..10 worth of parts, but when I get through, "adding just one more thing, 'cause it won't increase the shipping", . . .
. . . I've sometimes run that up to $50..60 ! - :eek: - :D

edit:
. . . oh, yea, and 400 magnets for making new sensor wheels for Birdviews!

"local sat shop" what's that? :)

whatever I'm working on, it always ends up costing more than I had planned on.

eg: the recent C-band LNBF purchase. Who in hell would need six? - :eek:

same here. I bought 5 for spares because I only needed it for one dish
-then I killed the 621
-then I got the 4 footer from WSI
-then I got a hair up my rear to add 2 LNB's to the one 6 footer

and there went 4 of them :)

There are 2 fta satellite stores in my small city, but I only have bought a motor from one of them. Their prices are just to high for most things since they mostly cater to the hackers. I tend to buy online and when I do I usually get something that I don't need since the extra shipping costs are minimal.

Last edited:
no stores here

But if we had one close-by, I'd prob buy more than I need too, if the prices weren't too bad. Most of mine comes from internet sites. Though I did venture over to Atlanta last fall for a visit to Galaxy Marketing, curiosity got the best of me. The traffic was so bad, I was shell-shocked by the time I found it, so I didn't buy the store out. Online is much safer than driving around over there!!

There's a saying: Don't shop in a store if you're hungry...
You will end up buyng more than what you intended to get.
Same true to us FTAer's...
You went into the satellite store for one thing, you ended up with a LITTLE bit more...

My nearest McDonalds is 90 miles away. Thank god for DSL, and FTA!

LOL! :D

MrFTAMan There's a saying: Don't shop in a store if you're hungry...

Very TRUE MrFTAMan! Seeing food when you’re hungry is never good when shopping! The wife and I done that the other day with both of us not have eaten all day and brought home a lot of junk food! Some of it was opened on the way home! :)

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Seeing food when you’re hungry is never good when shopping!
The wife and I done that the other day with both of us not have eaten all day and brought home a lot of junk food!
Some of it was opened on the way home!
Yea, I know what you mean. - :up
I got a receiver at the post office last week.
Had it out of the box, and used a screwdriver to peek inside, before it got home.
Last month, I got a LNB/Feedhorn package, and had it cracked open on the way home, too.

Bet 'cha can't eat just one! - :D

Last edited:
Since there are no "FTA stores" that I know of around here locally (not counting commercial VSAT and broadcast industry shops, of which there are a handful), I voted "YES" regarding FTA purchases online. More items save shipping costs :)

I voted "no" because when I shop at satellite stores (online), I always go in with the intent of buying every reasonably-priced item that I might need in the foreseeable future. Then I come to my senses and drop a few items from the cart to get the total down to something sane. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts