from c to ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

caretaker

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 19, 2009
richer mb. canada
want to go strictly ku with my bud. use orginal stb to move dish since sats preset but coax to viewsat. now can i put universal single lnbf $15 kind & catch ku sats pulling cband out off feedhorn & put in lnbf will it be same focal point

want to go strictly ku with my bud. use orginal stb to move dish since sats preset but coax to viewsat. now can i put universal single lnbf $15 kind & catch ku sats pulling cband out off feedhorn & put in lnbf will it be same focal point

Why not just use c/ku? limiting yourself to only c-band or only ku-band when you have a big dish is well... um none satellite guys like :)

Also, you'd be wasting 2/3 or more of the BUD, since most Ku lnbfs will only see about 1/3 of the dish, since they are optimized for a very high F/D, and most BUDs have a low F/D. You're probably better off with a C/Ku feed than putting a Ku only lnbf.

That's just wrong.:yikes
There is DVB stuff on C band. There is still some ITC analog programming occasionally.
Adding Ku would be the better option. It will cost you a bit to upgrade the feed to dualband but I think you will find it well worth it.

I'm with these other guys. Doing this would be crazy. There is alot on C band. Make that dish do both. You'll love it.

Im trying to just add ku to my cband that I am trying to get set up. I took a lnb bracket holder and used one of the unused holes in my scalar ring to bolt the holder to. Before the mover gave out I was trying to hit a ku signal but was unable to do so. I got my gbox back today and will try again this coming weekend. I know that my scalar is parallel to my dish so I am thinking that I may need to tilt the bracket to the center of the dish to receive signals but unsure of this and how to do it. I may have to use some other type of bracket that can be bent at a angle as the plastic will not bend unless I can come up with some type of a wedge to tilt it towards the center. Maybe mount a light gage piece of metal on the scalar and then mount the plastic mover to it then I would be able to bend it to aim at center of signal. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 159
Circular Ku LNBs are very forgiving and can probably be mounted in that fasion w/o issue. I believe linear ones will be another thing altogether. I'd say the best way is to use a dual band C/Ku feed assy, and eliminate all tracking and polarity offset issues.
I see you have dual C outputs. If you need dual C feeds a one pass/one block splitter should serve well. I use a PV brand unit to split my C feed between the 922 and my DVB stuff and havent noticed any signal degredation. The downside is that the pass port receiver must be on to power the LNB any time you want a C band signal.
Co-Rotor II's are the schnizzle, but it depends on how deep your pockets are if you want to go that route. Some others may be able to advise better on the method you are trying now. The only thing I see that I would do to try it is to mount the Ku parallel below (instead of to the side) the C feed when the dish is at it's highest point in the arc. That should be the best location to compensate for the polarity offset across the arc. As for focal length, scaler, etc, you'll have to get the Gurus input on that.

Circular Ku LNBs are very forgiving and can probably be mounted in that fasion w/o issue. I believe linear ones will be another thing altogether. I'd say the best way is to use a dual band C/Ku feed assy, and eliminate all tracking and polarity offset issues.
I see you have dual C outputs. If you need dual C feeds a one pass/one block splitter should serve well. I use a PV brand unit to split my C feed between the 922 and my DVB stuff and havent noticed any signal degredation. The downside is that the pass port receiver must be on to power the LNB any time you want a C band signal.
Co-Rotor II's are the schnizzle, but it depends on how deep your pockets are if you want to go that route. Some others may be able to advise better on the method you are trying now. The only thing I see that I would do to try it is to mount the Ku parallel below (instead of to the side) the C feed when the dish is at it's highest point in the arc. That should be the best location to compensate for the polarity offset across the arc. As for focal length, scaler, etc, you'll have to get the Gurus input on that.
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my setup. I dont mean to hijack a thread.
You lost me on some of your comments. Im not familiar with (one pass/ one block) splitter. I plan on using a zinwell 6x8. I have 5 of them and am going to try to link everything together with them and 1x4 diseqc switches.
I mounted the linear to the side in line with the scalar thinking that after I get it aimed at the center of the signal that while tracking it would be the best spot for the signal. But I am new to this and just winging it. I appreciate the suggestions.

Yes, good point. It would probably be best to open a new thread to continue discussion of your setup. It will likely get better exposure and replies as well.
To clarify before moving on, the terms one pass/one block are meant to refer to a 2 port high freq sat signal splitter that allows DC to pass on one port and is blocked on the other. They allow you you use one lnb feed and keeps your rx's source voltage output isolated from each other. (protects the rx's from each other)
I cant say for certain if being to the side as opposed to the bottom will make any difference, I've never done any field test of either orientation. I say the bottom because the track is E-W, the rotational axis is (essentially) N-S and being below (or above) should not introduce any error in the azmuith tracking geometry. Polarity offset (skew) is directly related to inclination/declination (think azmuith to elevation relationship) tracking adjustments.
Then again, it may make no difference at all. It is a worthy experiment. Let us know how you made out.
I'll stick with my dual band corotor setup.....:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NASA video feed

GI DSR-922 w/ BSC621

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)